2023-24 Frank J. Selke Trophy finalists: Aleksander Barkov, Auston Matthews, Jordan Staal | Winner: Aleksander Barkov

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Probably cause you’re in your sportsnet/HF hive mind bubble. In the real world you see Matthews jerseys everywhere Matthews sets jersey sale record

He’s American, plays for a high profile team, and pops up on every YT/Tik Tok channel frat/sports related. Easily one of the most popular and well liked players in the game today, if not the most.
More likely because i'm european and don't really hang out with zoomers, don't know a single person who likes Matthews.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
He averages less then a minute a game on the PK. He was something like the Leafs 8th most used forward on the PK, something you would think would weigh in pretty heavily for a defensive specific award. How many goals he scores is irrelevant. He’s a goalscorer that gets used in a predominantly offensive situations. He shouldn’t be a Selke finalist. As for voter bias, there’s always been a bit of east coast bias with the writers. Especially when it comes to teams that get a lot of attention like Montreal and Toronto.
Maybe they didn’t only look at pk time. It’s convenient when some analytics aren’t used here on HF.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
Just to be clear, they are voting for a player, not the team. Matthews is the most likable player in the league, and writers want access.

Also, he got two first place votes. Literally 2 writers thought he was the best defensive forward in the league. The rest used their throwaway votes on him.
Yeah. He didn’t deserve 1st place votes. But I don’t think it’s ridiculous that he got enough votes to get 3rd

I definitely think the Leafs hate here on HF fuels the selke votes criticism a lot more than the league writers bias in favour of Matthews.

I’m sure there are writers that chose to vote for him even though they hate the leafs.

A lot more than posters here who again, talk like they know better.

Same people that are so biased that they question the Lindsay voting.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Yeah. He didn’t deserve 1st place votes. But I don’t think it’s ridiculous that he got enough votes to get 3rd
I think thats fair.
I definitely think the Leafs hate here on HF fuels the selke votes criticism a lot more than the league writers bias in favour of Matthews.
Marner got a 1st place vote again this year too ironically. Some leafs fans wanted to prop Matthews up as the savior of the leafs defense without even knowing what him receiving a Selke vote actually equates to in his game. Those Hart threads were littered with people calling his 69 goal scoring campaign while maintaining 'Selke level defense' as historic.
I’m sure there are writers that chose to vote for him even though they hate the leafs.

A lot more than posters here who again, talk like they know better.

Same people that are so biased that they question the Lindsay voting.
I don't think Matthews getting Selke votes is that ridiculous, I just think propping up his 3rd place nomination in a year where Barkov was a runaway winner looked silly and invited criticism. The voting results show that there were about 6 players including Matthews that could have been runner up based on just a couple more votes going their way, but nobody was a serious threat to win it over Barkov, and the nomination means much less than the Hart one did for this year for what should be obvious reasons, but the Matthews fans have bent logic in these conversations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad