2023-24 Utica Comets and ECHL thread

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I think it's probably a bad idea to ink things on stone. First, the ink doesn't take well to stone. Second, stone is heavy and no longer really used for contracts or other forms of agreement conveyance. Third, stone is heavy, and fourth, it would probably have to be stored outside and the little ink you got on it would be washed away.

I think one would be asked to go to the ECHL, yes, unless there's some different roster arrangement possible in the AHL. While all five are on NHL contracts , two have their ELC expire (Daws, Schmid) and cannot be forced without their permission, the alternative is to sit there and rot. Playing is the best remedy. Poulter, Brennan, and Malek will remain on ELCs next season (Poulter in his final season).
I fully understand someone one would be asked to go to the ECHL, but they are not required to say yes. Kallgren (though not necessarily a good comparison) was on an NHL 2-way this season and regardless of the revolving door of keepers that came through Utica, he never left. He rarely played, only 16 games and sat in the well on a few backup rolls. I see Schmid having a real serious problem
after having played 43 games in NJ, an additional 9 Stanley Cup playoff games including winning a playoff series vs the NY Rangers, and then being asked to go play for Adirondack in the ECHL. I think regardless of any kind of comparison between the play of Poulter and Schmid, Poulter is once again the odd man out.

For those who don't know it, he was the best Utica keeper this season.

Poulter - 28 GP - 17W/8L - 2.55 GAA - .911 SAV%
Daws - 10 GP - 2W/6L - 2.89 GAA - .890 SAV%
Schmid - 23 GP - 9W/8L - 3.06 GAA - .894 SAV%
Kallgren - 16 GP - 4W/6L -3.62 GAA - .872 SAV%

Last stats I have seen for this season's ECHL playoffs:
1.02 GAA/.958 SAV%
To quote a line I have seen frequently on these boards about various players playing in given leagues, "He's too good for the ECHL."

Last edited:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I fully understand someone one would be asked to go to the ECHL, but they are not required to say yes. Kallgren (though not necessarily a good comparison) was on an NHL 2-way this season and regardless of the revolving door of keepers that came through Utica, he never left. He rarely played, only 16 games and sat in the well on a few backup rolls. I see Schmid having a real serious problem
after having played 43 games in NJ, an additional 9 Stanley Cup playoff games including winning a playoff series vs the NY Rangers, and then being asked to go play for Adirondack in the ECHL. I think regardless of any kind of comparison between the play of Poulter and Schmid, Poulter is once again the odd man out.

For those who don't know it, he was the best Utica keeper this season.

Poulter - 28 GP - 17W/8L - 2.55 GAA - .911 SAV%
Daws - 10 GP - 2W/6L - 2.89 GAA - 2.89 SAV%
Schmid - 23 GP - 9W/8L - 3.06 GAA - .894 SAV%
Kallgren - 16 GP - 4W/6L -3.62 GAA - .872 SAV%

Last stats I have seen for this season's ECHL playoffs:
1.02 GAA/.958 SAV%
To quote a line I have seen frequently on these boards about various players playing in given leagues, "He's too good for the ECHL."

I wouldn’t worry about it now/yet because we don’t how the goalie situation will shake out.

And if you don’t want Poulter traded, you’re in luck, because I don’t see how he will be. Poulter doesn’t have enough trade value to make it worthwhile.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Time for Game 4 and it’s a battle of the back-ups as Brodeur is in as well as Norfolk’s Oskari Salminen (ELC w/ Winnipeg).
Giant Finn vs wee Brodeur offspring, who stands taller?

Good guys struck first in the 1st.

Ghantous (Middendorf) 1-0

And another in the 1st

Smith (Middendorf) 2-0

After giving up two earlier in the 2nd, the Thunder take back the lead in late in the period.

Smith (Hirano, Skeoch) 3-2

Norfolk turns it on in the 3rd but Brodeur ain’t having it.

After 11 Norfolk shots, which included a long 5v3 PP for them, the Thunder does this with their second shot of the 3rd period.

Harper (Hirano) 4-2

And this one makes the Norfolk goalie smash his own stick in disgust.

Wheeler (Smith, Walker) 5-2

It’s been a Screw You Home Fans series for all 4 games, let’s keep that trend going a bit longer for Game 5 on Saturday (vs a better Norfolk goalie unfortunately)

Shots were better this game.
IMG_6665.jpeg

Last edited:

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Right back at it with Game 5 with the starters back in net.

Buckle up for some low event hockey folks!

The line-up

1st Period
Adirondack take two penalties, lose the shot battle 5-9.

2nd Period
Adirondack gets three PPs and does jackshit with them.
The Good News is they win the shot count 13-6.
The Bad News is the bad guys score. *sob*

From the bad guys feed
McDougall (Golder, Kuzmin) 0-1

3rd Period
Down 0-1, time to dig deep and get #GoalsForPoult ! And they answer the with this deflection.

Hirano (Harper, Stief) 1-1

Then, boom, first lead of the game and they silence the home crowd yet again.

Smith (Harper, MacKinnon) 2-1

Poulter shuts the door.

And the home crowd get nothing but pain yet again.
A good time for the first home win of the series is Game Six on Tuesday.

Shots
IMG_6682.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad