2023 ATD Poll #4: Public Voting

Should voting be made public?

• Total voters

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
we really don't want to creat a disincentive for people to come back.

it shouldn't, but it does

Good point. I’m just trying to think of a way you guys could navigate the voting issues, because it seems clear as day that for a lot of participants, when their club is eliminated their give a shit meter drops significantly.

So, something should absolutely be done to emphasize the importance in voting (and voting fairly, of course) in every round..but at the same time I see what you mean in that you don’t want to punish someone to the point that they don’t have an incentive to participate the following year.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
What we should do is track down the old gang from 2011-2014 and bring them back.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I have zero regret. The ATD has been an amazing ride.

Literally, looking back on when I was a boy, fascinated by the fact Richard, Beliveau and Lafleur weren't actually playing on the same team, and discovering a depth to history, and comparing players, or checking the Tuesday newspapers for statistics, the ATD has been a thoroughly natural and satisfying progression to my arc.

I played my MAG in Quebec, from age 3 to 16, in organized hockey in Montreal. As if, the ATD in the 2010s as I was in my 20s, was made exactly for me. I'm just surprised there weren't more people from my generation across Canada who ended up in here.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
I have zero regret. The ATD has been an amazing ride.

Literally, looking back on when I was a boy, fascinated by the fact Richard, Beliveau and Lafleur weren't actually playing on the same team, and discovering a depth to history, and comparing players, or checking the Tuesday newspapers for statistics, the ATD has been a thoroughly natural and satisfying progression to my arc.

I played my MAG in Quebec, from age 3 to 16, in organized hockey in Montreal. As if, the ATD in the 2010s as I was in my 20s, was made exactly for me. I'm just surprised there weren't more people from my generation across Canada who ended up in here.
I'm the surprise opposite of that. I'm from the southern US and can't skate worth crap. I'm the guy you'd be surprised ended up here at all.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
I think the best way to keep GMs involved and voting throughout the playoffs is to keep the momentum of the draft going and find ways to keep it from dragging out. I suggest cutting rounds 22-24 and not drafting spares.

I’d even go for the old 1950s style 10 forwards, 5 defence, 1 goalie, but I expect most people want their roster to look like a modern hockey roster.

Reactions: Sturminator

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I’d even go for the old 1950s style 10 forwards, 5 defence, 1 goalie, but I expect most people want their roster to look like a modern hockey roster.
I think the best way to keep GMs involved and voting throughout the playoffs is to keep the momentum of the draft going and find ways to keep it from dragging out. I suggest cutting rounds 22-24 and not drafting spares.

I've been known to actually swap in a spare or two in the playoffs, depending on matchups. And I've seen it occasionally done by others, as well. That said, I don't know if anyone would really miss round 24.

And your overall point (keep the momentum going) is really where it's at. In the past we had a strict timeline of 7 days for round 1, 5 days for every other round. But to have such a strict timeline involves having a draft admin who can push it through, which includes reminder PMs at the proper times. And I at least don't have it in me to admin that closely.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

100% agreed.

Eliminate the friction.

Exactly the opposite of what has been going on in this pre-draft.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Yes to this. The last few rounds are not worth the time we spend on them. Best way to speed up the draft is to cut them out and just draft full rosters + coach (21 rounds).

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Yes to this. The last few rounds are not worth the time we spend on them. Best way to speed up the draft is to cut them out and just draft full rosters + coach (21 rounds).
Maybe I over-analyze... but if someone has oft-injured player(s) in prominent roles, then I absolutely assess how the team is positioned to adjust to the likely time-loss issue(s). In order to do that, I'd rather there be spares- and to imagine what that roster would look like when spares are pressed into service.

The fact that this is even a consideration reveals another ATD-meta:
1) Frequently-injured players aren't that big a deal. 2) Durable players aren't valued as much as they should be.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad