Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
worth calling out mbn is actually playing right now lol got a well deserved bump to the top line today. real solid 1st period. couple near chances, excellent pressure on the forecheck, great board support and touches on pucks to disrupt possession, got into a heated scrum outside the crease at one point. looks no different than he did on the 3rd line (in a good way, i dont want him deviating from his game because he feels like he needs to take more chances with better linemates)

edit: and just tucked one on a big time snipe and excellent zucc feed (he actually started that sequence by making a play, you guessed it, along the boards). real nice game today, extra defensive involvement this period. feels like hes on top of the puck every second hes out there

Starting to think he won’t fall to us

CalamityX23

May 2, 2023
Having already been sold to MBN for a bit due to everyone's generous and informative analysis and opinions, but this one part has cemented the pick for me.

We share the same Birthday. 21 years difference but the same birthday, 10/5. It's MBN or give me death!

Reactions: Guadana

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
Starting to think he won’t fall to us
i would be surprised if he wasnt an option, though the worlds have definitely helped out both his and solberg's stocks. of the teams right in front of us (because i certainly dont expect he'll go, say, top 5) both OTT and SEA are much better served going D imo, and while CGY could use help everywhere, i dont think theyre in a position where adding him makes sense, they need more swings on gamebreakers. ARZ (Utah? lol) is the only team im not convinced we have a read on yet, they kind of do their own thing (and deliberately pump out misdirection smoke ie going leonard at 6 last year)

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
That stick work and body positioning from MBN is so impressive. He’s really fast and doesn’t look shy at all to take the body. There’s so much to like here. He’s the guy I want if Buium and Dickinson are off the board. It isn’t a slight against Helenius but more of a testament to how highly I view this kid.

Thank you to @Guadana for his stellar work and opening my eyes to this player. I’m fully on board.
Thanks for your words.
Nygard wasnt my top priority from the start but when more I watched him than more I liked him.

Of course Denmark is not the hardest team to play against but still its a solid competition for 18 yo player.

Pronman Mock Draft

View attachment 870524

1. Celebrini
2. Levshunov
3. Silayev
4. Dickinson
5. Demidov
6. Lindstrom
7. Parekh
8. Buium
9. Helenius

View attachment 870525

11. Catton
12. Yakemchuk
13. Iginla
14. Jiricek
15. Brandsegg-Nygard
16. Solberg
17. Eiserman
18. Luchanko
19. Connelly
20. Chernyshov

Its a bad mock draft.
For the same reasons. Jackets have good defensive depth(NHLers + prospects), they need second center a lot.
Ducks dont draft from Russia in their first round.
After that everything will change.
Again Buffalo have huge offensive depth, they are having so many forwards outside NHL. They need right defenseman.

I’ll also take Buium of the guys that could realistically fall to us.
Buium doesnt look like a player who will fall to us, but I would be happy to draft him.

i would be surprised if he wasnt an option, though the worlds have definitely helped out both his and solberg's stocks. of the teams right in front of us (because i certainly dont expect he'll go, say, top 5) both OTT and SEA are much better served going D imo, and while CGY could use help everywhere, i dont think theyre in a position where adding him makes sense, they need more swings on gamebreakers. ARZ (Utah? lol) is the only team im not convinced we have a read on yet, they kind of do their own thing (and deliberately pump out misdirection smoke ie going leonard at 6 last year)
I think Nygard will be available. Cant see any realistic scenarios. Only if one specific scouting director will fall in love with him. But we cant predict things like that.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
1 is Celebrini for SJ
2 Chi will pick Demidov, Levshunov or Lindstrom. Because they need D, center or huge talent
3 Ducks will pick Levshunov or... may be Buium, may be DIckinson, maaaaaay be Yakemchuk. I believe they need RD more than anything.
4-5 Jackets and Montreal both need center or offensive star. I believe they will pick between Lindstrom and Demidov. And if both are not available, Montreal may pick Iginla or Catton or even Helenius(less likely, they should have ptsd with Kotka)
6 Arizona are interesting but they hardly needs in defenseman.
7 Ottawa needs right defenseman. And defensemen overall - Chychrun look like he will leave them.
8 Seattle should draft defensemen. They have good center depth in Beniers, Wright, Firkus.
9 Calgary needs center and defensemen. Still Iginla should be their first winger priority

There is very little chance that some of this teams will draft Nygard. The only problem is Fitz, who loves to draft for needs and im not sure he is recognizing center in Nygard. The problem for devils is the forward who can play forechecking game, physical game and be productive is the BIGGER problem than third line center. I think we need Nygard as our top-6 contributor more than we need third line center. Especially with how Nygard can play center role. He is playing near Tkachuk style of game with better defensive habits.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Its a bad mock draft.
For the same reasons. Jackets have good defensive depth(NHLers + prospects), they need second center a lot.

For some reason I can't shake Columbus possibly taking a D. Provorov is only signed for one more year. I guess we'll see who they name as GM. One name who's been mentioned is Mark Hunter who's been running the London Knights, so there could be a connection with Sam Dickinson there.

Ducks haven't used many high picks on Russians playing in Russia but they did take Pavel Mintyukov (OHL) recently and Pat Verbeek is still relatively new to the job. They always seem to bust my mock draft. Levshunov seems like the most logical pick but I could see them taking Silayev if they think he's anything close to Victor Hedman who Verbeek had in Tampa.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
First off, big thanks to all you guys providing such in-depth reports and discussions on the 2024 prospects. Learning a lot just by lurking.

[...]
Jackets have good defensive depth(NHLers + prospects), they need second center a lot.
After that everything will change.
Again Buffalo have huge offensive depth, they are having so many forwards outside NHL. They need right defenseman.
[...]
It might not be accurate, but to Pronman's credit, he did mentioned alternative picks for many of the teams in the Athletic article:
  • ANA: Levshunov/Dickinson
  • CBS: Lindstrom/Demidov
  • BUF: Helenius/Iginla - I think you are right there, they need RD more then anything.
He also mentioned that teams have Chernyshov rated higher than #20 on talent, just had him fall to that spot due to the Russian factor.
Main callout is that Pronman is now also on the Solberg bandwagon (mocked to STL at #16) - after we heard it first from @StevenToddIves .
1 is Celebrini for SJ
2 Chi will pick Demidov, Levshunov or Lindstrom. Because they need D, center or huge talent
3 Ducks will pick Levshunov or... may be Buium, may be DIckinson, maaaaaay be Yakemchuk. I believe they need RD more than anything.
4-5 Jackets and Montreal both need center or offensive star. I believe they will pick between Lindstrom and Demidov. And if both are not available, Montreal may pick Iginla or Catton or even Helenius(less likely, they should have ptsd with Kotka)
6 Arizona are interesting but they hardly needs in defenseman.
7 Ottawa needs right defenseman. And defensemen overall - Chychrun look like he will leave them.
8 Seattle should draft defensemen. They have good center depth in Beniers, Wright, Firkus.
9 Calgary needs center and defensemen. Still Iginla should be their first winger priority
Great break down of the needs.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
For some reason I can't shake Columbus possibly taking a D. Provorov is only signed for one more year. I guess we'll see who they name as GM. One name who's been mentioned is Mark Hunter who's been running the London Knights, so there could be a connection with Sam Dickinson there.

Ducks haven't used many high picks on Russians playing in Russia but they did take Pavel Mintyukov (OHL) recently and Pat Verbeek is still relatively new to the job. They always seem to bust my mock draft. Levshunov seems like the most logical pick but I could see them taking Silayev if they think he's anything close to Victor Hedman who Verbeek had in Tampa.
Valid argument about Hunter.
But they have Svozil, Mateychuk and Jiricek on the defensive prospect list. They have Werenski and Severson signed long term. I dont think they will draft defenseman in this situation when they have obvious center question. lack of star power and potentially one(at least) of Lindstrom or Demidov are available.

Reactions: Brodeur

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
First off, big thanks to all you guys providing such in-depth reports and discussions on the 2024 prospects. Learning a lot just by lurking.

It might not be accurate, but to Pronman's credit, he did mentioned alternative picks for many of the teams in the Athletic article:
  • ANA: Levshunov/Dickinson
  • CBS: Lindstrom/Demidov
  • BUF: Helenius/Iginla - I think you are right there, they need RD more then anything.
He also mentioned that teams have Chernyshov rated higher than #20 on talent, just had him fall to that spot due to the Russian factor.
Main callout is that Pronman is now also on the Solberg bandwagon (mocked to STL at #16) - after we heard it first from @StevenToddIves .

Great break down of the needs.
We are always welcome.
Okay, than he should start from this "alternatives" and use them as a main choice and use his "main" choice as alternative.

Chernyshov is my top-10. ANd im thinking he should fall because of Russian factor too. It is reasonable.

Overall I think the problem of many writers and scouts is how many players they are trying to watch too many prospects. And they dont watch NHL mostly. Reason why some of them are missing on the obvious very projectable NHL potential players, reason why they like players who cant translate every tool on nhl level. Im lazy person Im watching mostly only first rounders. at least im making focus on them. I dont have opinion about 25-40 draft spots this year because I didnt watch enough of this players, didnt watch enough games of them. Reason why I have quite good takes for first round every year, sometimes top-20 only. Im not trying to do more than I can.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Unless I missed it earlier in the thread, I don't see much talk on Catton. While i don't think his rush goals will all translate over to the NHL, he's easily one of the most talented forwards in this draft.

I know some knock his size, but he has time to grow and add on weight. I'd personally be stoked with him at 10 if he's available.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Unless I missed it earlier in the thread, I don't see much talk on Catton. While i don't think his rush goals will all translate over to the NHL, he's easily one of the most talented forwards in this draft.

I know some knock his size, but he has time to grow and add on weight. I'd personally be stoked with him at 10 if he's available.

He has definitely been discussed in the thread if you search it. There were concerns brought up that he won’t translate as a center.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

Because we dont need softy perimeter playmaker.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

We would not be doing our jobs if we did not question the likelihood of Catton playing center in the NHL. The player in recent drafts who he is perhaps most reminiscent of is Cole Perfetti, who has played exclusively wing in the NHL.

I'm a big fan of Catton, and I'm not a big fan of overemphasizing size with forwards in the draft. But let's face it -- Helenius is about the same size as Catton, and there's not much doubt he will play center at the highest levels.

Right now I have a very close battle in my 7-8-9 rankings -- in order, Brandsegg-Nygard, Helenius, Catton. They are all terrific young prospects, but Catton makes the least sense in NJ. While Catton is clearly the best of the 3 in the offensive zone, there are three zones in hockey and (although he's no slouch anywhere, this is a heck of a player) Catton is by far the third most effective of the 3 in the other two zones.

The Devils forward group would benefit most from improvements in the areas of speed and interior play. Again, while Catton is not a bad skater or strictly perimeter player, he rates far behind Brandsegg-Nygard and Helenius in both respects.

Offensive firepower is a big part of hockey, but not the only part. And this is the calling card of Berkly Catton's game. This is absolutely a compliment for a terrific young player. But offensive firepower is just one of several aspects which a hockey team needs to succeed, and it's an area where the Devils -- who need several other elements -- are already strong.

In sum, I'd certainly be *fine* if the Devils drafted Catton. The kid is special, and he'll score at any level, and he's a character kid. But I think folks like @Guadana and @evnted and myself have explained in some detail on this thread why we feel Brandsegg-Nygard or Helenius might be better forward fits in New Jersey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad