Red Sox/MLB 2024 Regular Season 2: Ángel Hernández to retire: Much-maligned MLB umpire calling it quits

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Most baseball historians consider Josh Gibson every bit the superstar that satchel Paige was.
No doubt Josh Gibson was an all time great hitter, but I think @McGarnagle makes a very valid point. The record keeping in the Negro Leagues during his era was spotty at best. Then again, if MLB has vetted the records and think they're valid, who am I to disagree. MLB is usually pretty particular about its stats.

On a related note....This is a great book.

1716949691999.png

Elvis P

London Calling
Dec 10, 2007
Goddamn Wrecks fan
distrokid.com
I know they're doing this for altruistic reasons but I just think it's muddying up the record books. I don't mind if they hold up the Negro League stats as being on par with MLB ones but putting them all under one umbrella and claiming that Josh Gibson's 1937 OPS is the major league record is misleading.

Between competition levels, schedule formats, and lack of documentation of many games and stats, comparing Gibson with even a contemporary like Joe DiMaggio is apples and oranges and doesn't paint an accurate picture of baseball history IMO.
Agreed. The top NEL players were as good, but there was less depth and the fences were shorter. Both those points are documented.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Agreed. The top NEL players were as good, but there was less depth and the fences were shorter. Both those points are documented.
That's sort of where I land. The leagues were top-heavy, which is to say there were some legit all-time greats like Robinson, Mays, Paige, Gibson, etc. who absolutely could've hung with anyone in the majors, but as a whole the depth was lacking. Plus that for many of those years it was kind of a barnstorming circuit rather than an organized league. You'd basically have the Homestead Grays as a de facto all-star team playing 75 games travelling around against other teams in the circuit who'd play 45 games or fewer. But that's all a consequence of its semi-pro status, and had they had the financial support or opportunities white players had they'd probably have developed more stars. I just don't think it's accurate to compare statistics.

I'd actually argue that if anyone deserves major league status it's the Pacific Coast League of the 30s and 40s which produced a lot of legendary players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad