WC: 2024 Team USA

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Like I said, couple players like that, fine. Half a team, then I would say it would be ruined.

Great Britain, for example, has quite many players born in Canada in the team. The fact that they least have to play a couple of seasons in that country is, in my opinion, the least that should be required in these situations.
Yes, they can get naturalized if they've played a couple seasons in that country, which helps places that have a strong enough domestic situation, it's how Kazakhstan could get some guys from Canada/USA because they had a KHL team. The federation actually decided based on protest from domestic players to stop bringing in the ringers to IIHF competition.

Reactions: Summer Rose

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I honestly don't know, I just heard the US was 2nd youngest and my thoughts went to Canada being the youngest since they brought some kids too...but I can't confirm that.

Mike Johnson just said that Canada was tied with the US as the youngest team in the tournament.

They may have recalculated once the veterans Canadians came over.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Another full day off.

USAH staff at this tournament think they're a travel agency and not a hockey federation.

It's a joke for the team to basically have 2 full days off in 3 days this early in the tournament when they've played poorly and haven't practiced much as a team.

Yes, player willingness to show up at the WC is a big factor in our success, or lack there of, at the WC, but the apathetic approach we take to this tournament is why we get the results that we do.

The Euro teams have full camps, exhibition slates, etc. And our coaches are worried about the players being able to golf and bowl multiple times within 72 hours instead of practicing.

Please jettison whichever USAH execs and coaches think this is a good idea into the abyss.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
USAH staff at this tournament think they're a travel agency and not a hockey federation.

It's a joke for the team to basically have 2 full days off in 3 days this early in the tournament when they've played poorly and haven't practiced much as a team.

Yes, player willingness to show up at the WC is a big factor in our success, or lack there of, at the WC, but the apathetic approach we take to this tournament is why we get the results that we do.

The Euro teams have full camps, exhibition slates, etc. And our coaches are worried about the players being able to golf and bowl multiple times within 72 hours instead of practicing.

Please jettison whichever USAH execs and coaches think this is a good idea into the abyss.
The problem : Golfing, bowling and enjoying Europe is how they sell the World Championships and get North American players to go - it's a paid vacation WITH hockey. If you turn the 3+weeks into something ultra serious and demanding, players simply won't go.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The problem : Golfing, bowling and enjoying Europe is how they sell the World Championships and get North American players to go - it's a paid vacation WITH hockey. If you turn the 3+weeks into something ultra serious and demanding, players simply won't go.

They can and should still do those things. That doesn't mean you can't have a 90 minute practice and then give everyone 22 hours off instead of 24.

It's why they continually choke and fail here even when they do get good players to show up.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
They can and should still do those things. That doesn't mean you can't have a 90 minute practice and then give everyone 22 hours off instead of 24.

It's why they continually choke and fail here even when they do get good players to show up.
At the end of the day, U.S. and Canadian players just don't "care" that much about the WC - it is what it is.

Just try and enjoy the tournament. :)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
The problem is we haven't won shit here. Maybe people will show up if we treat this thing like a serious event and actually win.

I get what you're saying though, and by no means harping at you, but the definition of insanity seems to be doing the same stuff over expecting different results.

Winning should bring out the best here or at least be more desirable than coming out here for 3 weeks and finishing 6th. Having time to do fun stuff with their families is a given, the tournament is long and there is plenty of time to do that. But no way should this team have had no practices prior to and after that Slovakian game. We have top talent here for once we need to treat it like a playoff series staff wise.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The problem is we haven't won shit here. Maybe people will show up if we treat this thing like a serious event and actually win.

I get what you're saying though, and by no means harping at you, but the definition of insanity seems to be doing the same stuff over expecting different results.

Winning should bring out the best here or at least be more desirable than coming out here for 3 weeks and finishing 6th. Having time to do fun stuff with their families is a given, the tournament is long and there is plenty of time to do that. But no way should this team have had no practices prior to and after that Slovakian game. We have top talent here for once we need to treat it like a playoff series staff wise.
That's fair but I'm just not sure it will change - they need to entice players to go.

Of all the tournaments on the calendar, I take this one the LEAST seriously. The U.S. needs to win Gold and get the monkey off their back, so U.S. posters can feel the same way. Once you stop caring, it can be a lot of fun.

At least you guys have won this many times. The fact that we last won this in 1933 is just embarrassing.
Therein lies the issue. If the U.S. were to win Gold and get that off your bucket list, you'd enjoy the tournament more.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
That's fair but I'm just not sure it will change - they need to entice players to go.

Of all the tournaments on the calendar, I take this one the LEAST seriously. The U.S. needs to win Gold and get the monkey off their back, so U.S. posters can feel the same way. Once you stop caring, it can be a lot of fun.

Therein lies the issue. If the U.S. were to win Gold and get that off your bucket list, you'd enjoy the tournament more.
I would just like to see the US win this once in my lifetime. Didn't know that would also include my father and kiddos lifetime as well lol..

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
It's not about enjoying the tournament. It's about giving a damn. No one is under any delusions that USAH and its players will ever care about this the way the European teams do. Not going to happen.

But just because they won't treat it like a premier tournament doesn't mean they have to treat it like a beer league tournament. The options are not binary.

It's wild that people think the players and staff coming together for a couple of hours for practice somehow prevents them from then enjoying the rest of the nearly full day off golfing, bowling, shopping, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad