WC: 2024 World Championship general discussion

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I understand these comments, But still feel like it little bit unnecessary comment since just to play in the final is a massive thing for both Czechs and Swiss people..

It's a dumb comment made by someone who has barely been here for the entire tournament.

If it were up to me, no one would be able to post here during the medal round if they hadn't during the round robin.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
My top 3 highlights so far in this tournament

1. Finland-Sweden game. Even though we lost it was the only good game we played. I'm still super proud of our team at this game. We were really bad otherwise and probably didn't even deserve to play in the quarterfinal.

2. The atmosphere in Prague. Incredible crowd, never seen anything similar in a hockey tournament.

3. The Czechs playing for gold on their home ice in front of these incredible fans.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
1716683590483.png

I have my quibbles with the list (I think Slovakia should also get credit for the medals) but we are guaranteed silver so we move past USSR/Russia. If Sweden wins they will be tied with us for 2nd. If they don't medal, we will be alone in second using 'this' method.

Reactions: maclean

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
The last time Canada won bronze medal game was in 1995. Since then they've lost it four times.

15 finals after that (8-7) and eight times outside top four.

Reactions: maclean

Johnny Tomala

Jan 24, 2017
View attachment 875761

I have my quibbles with the list (I think Slovakia should also get credit for the medals) but we are guaranteed silver so we move past USSR/Russia. If Sweden wins they will be tied with us for 2nd. If they don't medal, we will be alone in second using 'this' method.
You move if it's ranked in total medals mode, if it's in gold first system then you are not moving past Russia.

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023
Sweden full roster of NHL stars. Finland some random dudes from street. It wasn't a close game.
Sweden doesn't take Finland seriously. Just some buffer zone against Russia. If we would the score would be 10-0 every time.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Sweden full roster of NHL stars. Finland some random dudes from street. It wasn't a close game.
Sweden doesn't take Finland seriously. Just some buffer zone against Russia. If we would the score would be 10-0 every time.
Thank you for your input. Sweden takes Finland seriously and it was a close game and it could've ended either way.7

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Best Goalkeeper: Dostal
Best Defender: Josi
Best forward: Fiala

All-star Team
Dostal
Josi, Karlsson
Fiala - Cozens - Cervenka (if I got that correctly by the speaker)

MVP: Kevin Fiala

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Best tournament I've seen in a long time. Only better tournaments for me are 2011, 2019 and 2022. I was born like a month after the 1995 win so obviously I remember our wins the best. 2023 is just a pushed back bad memory like rest of the silvers.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Breathtaking tournament! So much splendid game action, atmosphere, passion, and memories that'll last a lifetime.

Seeing reels of celebrations are so amazing to see. So happy Czechs won on home ice! Really pulling for Swiss to win one soon as well!

The beauty of International Hockey is unmatched. The pride the players play for, the passion that inhabits all of us across the Hockey world is magical. Love this forum so much during this time year. It's hilarious and full of passion.

I hope thousands of new players across the world take to the ice because of this spectacle. Our game needs to keep growing and the World Championship is our games greatest yearly festival!

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
This was one of the best World Championships in some time, really in great part thanks to the hosts.

The WHCs will get bolstered in future years in status as a trial for bubble players on Olympic teams. Years back it was almost meaningless for some of the NHL players to come. As long as international hockey is alive and well through the Olympics and/or proper World Cup, the WHCs will have relevance.

This year really showed the importance of great host cities such as Prague, and the upcoming few years look positive for this tournament in Stockholm, Zurich, Dusseldorf, Paris etc. Those are the kind of destinations that would sway a few NHL players that would improve the tournament to come or not.

I don't know if it's recent, but I feel like this tournament has consistently began after the end of the first round of NHL POs, which I think should always be a thing going forward. There are a very large number of significant players that come after their teams are bounced from the first round.

In some ways, the Czechs had won their golds in part due to *second* round playoff exits with guys like Necas, Pastrnak and Zacha being huge contributors, so if they pushed the Worlds back a little bit, nabbing a few second-round exit players would be huge for some teams like it was for the Czechs. I think we can bury the idea that "no one comes after the second round" because it made a huge deal this year.

Reactions: Czechboy

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Does John Tavares ever win ?
Captain of Islanders - 1 round
Captain of Leafs - 1 round
Captain of Team Canada - no medal

where does this guy ever win and what exactly makes him captain material everywhere he goes?

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I don't know if it's recent, but I feel like this tournament has consistently began after the end of the first round of NHL POs, which I think should always be a thing going forward. There are a very large number of significant players that come after their teams are bounced from the first round.
This actually fairly new. Before covid the NHL would start its playoffs one week earlier and players out in the 2nd round were usually available for the entire tournament, but for some reason every league seems to think that pushing the season back was a good idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad