23/24 NHL Playoff Thread

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
This doesn’t seem ideal.

IMG_1355.jpeg

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I can't believe that Edmonton is up 3-2 in their series with Dallas. Maybe Dallas blows them out in game six and game seven.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I still think this series is Dallas’ to lose despite them being one loss away from elimination. Edmonton has to outscore their problems most games while Dallas is a balanced team on both sides of the ice. Note the lack of the word “problems” for the latter. That said, I want nothing more than for the Stars to never have success again (has nothing to do with the Kraken), so… go Edmonton!

Also, an Edmonton/Florida final is almost maximum lulz for travel time.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I still think this series is Dallas’ to lose despite them being one loss away from elimination. Edmonton has to outscore their problems most games while Dallas is a balanced team on both sides of the ice. Note the lack of the word “problems” for the latter. That said, I want nothing more than for the Stars to never have success again (has nothing to do with the Kraken), so… go Edmonton!

Dallas has some weaknesses that have been exposed.

On defense they're looking thin, especially now that Tanev is hobbled and Hakanpaa is out. Petrovic gets confused, Suter is more and more of a liability, Tanev is in a walking boot, I see Harley looking too soft.

Up front they have often gotten all three forwards trapped, and the third man back is late, in other words they've got a lot of slow guys that aren't getting back in time to stop the Oilers odd man attacks.

Also, an Edmonton/Florida final is almost maximum lulz for travel time.

Maximum lulz for the difference in ice quality. No wonder Florida's slow grindy playstyle works in the playoffs, skill play on their slushy home ice is not going to happen.

I want to make a deal with the NHL - ok you can put a team in south florida, but you have to get to the cup finals by April, that humidity in summer is not acceptable for this sport.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Bad ice helps explain part of it. I hadn't seen Florida play much at all during the regular season. Since the playoffs they seem like a good team, but I have not found them fun to watch at all. They may have induced more yawns from me than any other single playoff team.

Reactions: majormajor

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Some notes on Edmonton's win:

No previous team has won a Stanley Cup game while registering only ten shots on goal.

Edmonton had ten shots on goal; Jason Robertson of Dallas had nine.

Stuart Skinner had a GAA of .948 in the last three games.

4094 kilometres marks the longest travel distance between two teams in Stanley Cup history.

Montreal was the last Canadian team to win the Stanley Cup in 1993. Since then, only seven Canadian teams have reached the finals, including Edmonton this year.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad