Annoying TV commercials during Stanley Cup playoffs - US and Canada

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
It's very stylish to shit on cable tv and the old-heads that still subscribe, but with my DVR I haven't had my eyes on a full commercial in over a decade. No ads, 100% reliability, and access to most major sports makes cable worth every penny to me.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Why do they pay Steve Buschemi and Henry Winkler to be pidgeons or Steve Martin and Martin Short to not be funny in commercials?

Steve Martin hasn't been funny in years and is an overrated banjo player to boot.

The iPhone 15 ad with the grating, nails-on-chalkboard, heavy autotune-effect singing.

That lame, soul-destroying shit was interesting exactly 1 time in 1 song back in the 90's, but has now been a pox on audio for 30 years and if, for the good of humanity, I was given a time machine and licence to go back and kill three 20th century figures before they could wreak their havoc on the world I'd save an entire magazine of bullets for whoever the asshole was that first applied that technology to music.

I can't believe the "computer-voice" is still a thing. Music is supposed to change. It sucked then and it sucks now. Move on dammit!

If anything music is kinda going back to the past. What with Greta Van Fleet and all.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Does anyone else get a kick outta these heritage canada ads? You have some serious shit like a life changing diabetes treatment, and a hockey team going to fight in a world war. But then the 3rd one is just... "look everyone, some women played baseball!!!"

I dunno, if I was a female I'd find that almost kinda demeaning that they put the bar that low

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Does anyone else get a kick outta these heritage canada ads? You have some serious shit like a life changing diabetes treatment, and a hockey team going to fight in a world war. But then the 3rd one is just... "look everyone, some women played baseball!!!"

I dunno, if I was a female I'd find that almost kinda demeaning that they put the bar that low
1626666010959.jpg

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
I feel like the whole "Canada's Team" thing is a false narrative that gets pushed every year by the media here.

Like every hockey fan in Canada is supposedly rallying around the idea that that Cup "belongs here" or some crap - despite the fact that every single season the Cup is won by an American team comprised mostly of Canadians anyway, and every single season is followed by a summer that sees the Cup make regular trips up here with those aforementioned Canadian players. :laugh:
They do that so Canadian viewers amp up by banding together. With so few Canadian teams to begin with and they stink so bad winning the cup or just making the finals is almost impossible already, their ratings stink if all Canadian team fans bail watching when their team gets ousted. It's all about viewership.

It's like when TSN or Sportsnet recaps daily highlights. There could be an awesome game between Colorado vs Dallas, or TB vs Florida. Or Lakers play GS. Which game recap do they show first? Canadian teams. Even if lowly Ottawa is the only Canadian team playing a meaningless game that night, somehow that cruddy game gets the first news bite of the show.

Also, hockey is the only pro sport Canadian athletes fill the rosters better than US So for sake of patriotism, the media plays on the silly Canada vs US arc in hopes sports fans stick around and cheer for which ever Canadian team is left in the playoffs. And if no Canadian teams are left, then it's the TV shows going gonzo about Sidney Crosby from Cole Harbour Nova Scotia or McDavid racking up 140 pts. If you were blind and couldnt see Sid wearing a white and yellow Pittsburgh jersey, you'd think he played for a team based in Cole Harbour if you went by audio. On the other hand, how many times have the media said Ovechkin is from Moscow or Kucherov is from Maykop? Probably never.

Canadians call Americans childish for going full blown patriotism in sports or politics. But Canada does it too for hockey like it's the only thing in the world worth boasting about. That, curling and Donovan Bailey winning 100M dashes.

A lot fans are also into this. Go on any forum and chat about hockey and you'll see people say all cups are won by US teams past 30 years. But then Canadians will say "ya, but most players are Canadian anyway". So when the media plays up the Can vs US story (team or players), it feeds the losers who give a shit about who wins what.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Pepper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad