Are we in Canada paranoid about 2026 or should we not be worried?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Canada has relied on Quebec for decades to keep us up for goaltending.

Since 1950 when Billy Smith was born, Anglo-Canada has produced only four HHOF goaltenders.

Grant Fuhr (1962)
Mike Vernon (1963)
Ed Belfour (1965)
Carey Price (1987)

The last HHOF goalie produced in Ontario was born 74 years ago. The best since then is what, Curtis Joseph and Mike Smith?

Since that time, Quebec produced Patrick Roy, Martin Brodeur, Roberto Luongo, Marc Andre-Fleury, and Jose Theodore.

When Quebec fell off, it illuminated how weak Anglo-Canada has been for 50% of hockey's history.

Keep in mind that those 5 Anglo-Canadian HHoF goalies born since 1950 make up the highest proportion of the total number of goalies in the HHoF born since 1950.

Quebec has actually only produced 3.

The remaining 3 include 1 Czech, 1 American and 1 Swede.

There just aren't that many goalies in the HHoF.

Last edited:
Reactions: ORRFForever

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
2026 and crosby really? Guys gunna be like 50. I'd prefer they take someone else
Honestly at the rate these young bucks are developing, Crosby might be 1 of 2 forwards over the age of 31 at 2026 and that’s just fine by me considering Crosby is Crosby. Aging like fine wine.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Next season is huge for how Canada will look like for the 2026 Olympics. I want to see those jumps from the 50-70 point range to the 90+ point range from players like Bedard, Laf, Johnston, Suzuki, Jarvis, Byfield and Kyrou.

Will love to see Fantilli keep developing and it’s Celebrini’s rookie season

2025 will determine how the future of Canada will ultimately look like

Last edited:

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Why does Thomas Harley (plays for Canada internationally) never get any notice / love?

22 years old, 6'4", his stats in 2023-2024 were terrific. He had as many points as McAvoy (who everyone is in awe of) but, unlike McAvoy who was a +4, Harley was a +28.

Help me understand because I'd rather have him out there than Rielly.

So what is his deal? I had to look up when he played for Canada, but he did with the 2021 WJC team. He's born in Syracuse, NY, but plays for Canada? Why is that? Was he raised in Canada?

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Next season is huge for how Canada will look like for the 2026 Olympics. I want to see those jumps from the 50-70 point range to the 90+ point range from players like Bedard, Laf, Johnston, Suzuki, Jarvis, Byfield and Kyrou.

Will love to see Fantilli keep developing and it’s Celebrini’s rookie season

2025 will determine how the future of Canada will ultimately look like
I think Laf had the 2nd most even strength points on the Rangers this year. Obviously behind Panarin. But he's poised to hit that next gear. Probably happens next year. 90-100 points is what I would expect with normal power play time. He's earned it.

He wants to win.

There has to be a reason why. He has to have citizenship to Canada or something.

• Love
Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
So what is his deal? I had to look up when he played for Canada, but he did with the 2021 WJC team. He's born in Syracuse, NY, but plays for Canada? Why is that? Was he raised in Canada?
Be happy he plays for us because he looks terrific...

" When speaking of the decision, Harley stated that while his family lived in New York, he was raised as a Canadian."

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
He wants to win.
Harley's a big talented kid (he's 22) who just had a breakout year. He's playing a lot of minutes against Colorado in Round 2.

Not sure who's is charge of drafting in Dallas, but he's done one hell of a job - the team is loaded with high end prospects.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad