Speculation: Armchair GM 2023-24 Season. If we can't say "Rebuild" what do we call it?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It's all irrelevant anyway since Lucky 9 will win us the lottery for Macklin.

It's funny, for me, if somehow the hockey gods smiled on Calgary and they won the 1OA; the feel for this club changes almost immediately.
Right now, I think the feeling is one of 'we're going to be bad for another 2-3 seasons' but man, with a Celebrini pick I really think that this changes directions in a hurry.

Of course this is all dependent on Celebrini; but I could see them turning this ship around quick with the vets they've kept on the roster. Reminder, this team was flirting with the wildcard for wayyyyyy too late in the season and things really only started sinking fast when Hanifin and Tanev found new homes.

Reactions: Ainsy01

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Well that lottery was disappointing.

Conroy can still make it a win by adding an early pick, and he has the tools.

Lots of guys are torn between picks at 9, rightfully so. I think the best thing for Conroy to do it make a move with Jersey and draft Catton and Iginla 9/10 (or whomever honestly). Seems like a win-win to get some serious talent in Catton and a feel-good-high-upside pick in Tij.

So Conroy takes Vancouver's pick (27-29) straps it to Markstrom and trades it to Jersey at 10. This way they dont have to retain salary and get the deal nixed.

Id also love to see them get creative with Coleman and send him to a team looking to take the next step like Ottawa or Utah (with Van's pick) and sneak into the top ten that way.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Sorry wrong thread but just beat team USA 5:4 OT. Pospi had 3 apples. Conroy should be ashamed of himself fleecing Martin with that crap 2×1 mil contract. Yet he paid Rooney (who?) 1.4 mil extension in 24/25. Man up Conroy and pay Martin extra bucks.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Remember when Mangiapane had 7G in 7 GP at the WC and came back and had his monster 35 G season? Weegar was above a PPG at last year’s tournament and parlayed that into a monster year this year.

The success Pospisil is finding seems to bode pretty well for his sophomore year…

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Sorry wrong thread but just beat team USA 5:4 OT. Pospi had 3 apples. Conroy should be ashamed of himself fleecing Martin with that crap 2×1 mil contract. Yet he paid Rooney (who?) 1.4 mil extension in 24/25. Man up Conroy and pay Martin extra bucks.

Do you not realize the entire point of RFA is to pay players less than they would get on the open market?

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Flames need to move up in this draft. They have the tools.

Vancouvers first and a vet for something in the 9-15 range.

Catton / Iginla. Boom.

Hubby - Kadri - Sharangovich
Mangiapane - Backlund - Kuzmenko (Coleman is traded)
Pospisil - Catton - Coronoto
Pelletier - Honzek - Iginla

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I am saying he is way too underpaid.
1 mil a year for a guy who has 63 games of NHL experience and a total of 24 career points. He's having a good Worlds, but a mil a year for a guy of that experience is absolutely in line with what he should be making. He's an adequate pot-stirring middle six forward (at the top end) at best, and a good physical fourth liner who can pot a couple at worst.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad