Armchair GM: Offseason Roster Moves and Rumors

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Are we really making post after post of Elvis .. aka don’t say mean things about me on social media .. being traded to Toronto ..
You make it sound so flippant that a guy who witnessed his friend's death and was traumatized by it doesn't want people threatening him and his family.

I'm pretty sure people in Toronto don't want threats made against them either. Dumb fans are dumb fans but lets keep them seperate from legit media covering a team. That's a whole different type of coverage and demands in Toronto. I've never seen Toronto sports media threaten to kill anyone because they didn't stop a puck.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
You make it sound so flippant that a guy who witnessed his friend's death and was traumatized by it doesn't want people threatening him and his family.

I'm pretty sure people in Toronto don't want threats made against them either. Dumb fans are dumb fans but lets keep them seperate from legit media covering a team. That's a whole different type of coverage and demands in Toronto. I've never seen Toronto sports media threaten to kill anyone because they didn't stop a puck.
yeah , I wasn’t referencing that .. I was referencing him and melting down over criticisms regarding his play , and deleting instagram , etc . His numerous foot in mouth comments he’s made to our little media presence , and realizing that the Toronto media , is like Buckeye football.. millions of eyeballs , analyzing your every move, and play….

“My wife didn’t get anything else,” he said. “I get it after every game, but I’m not even reading it. I’m so tired I’m not even checking (social media) anymore. I’m looking at reels on Instagram if I want to see stupid s—.

“It’s a sad world. The people who really love you are the real people, not the guy hiding behind his phone making fake names and fake people. They don’t have the balls to show their real name or their real identity.

“You can tell me I suck and I’m horrible, whatever. But please, have the balls to come up to me after the game, in a parking lot. If someone came up to me and said, ‘You suck, Elvis, you’re horrible,’ right now I’m gonna say, ‘Yes, I suck, but thank you for the honesty that you come say it to my face

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
yeah , I wasn’t referencing that .. I was referencing him and melting down over criticisms regarding his play , and deleting instagram , etc . His numerous foot in mouth comments he’s made to our little media presence , and realizing that the Toronto media , is like Buckeye football.. millions of eyeballs , analyzing your every move, and play….

“My wife didn’t get anything else,” he said. “I get it after every game, but I’m not even reading it. I’m so tired I’m not even checking (social media) anymore. I’m looking at reels on Instagram if I want to see stupid s—.

“It’s a sad world. The people who really love you are the real people, not the guy hiding behind his phone making fake names and fake people. They don’t have the balls to show their real name or their real identity.

“You can tell me I suck and I’m horrible, whatever. But please, have the balls to come up to me after the game, in a parking lot. If someone came up to me and said, ‘You suck, Elvis, you’re horrible,’ right now I’m gonna say, ‘Yes, I suck, but thank you for the honesty that you come say it to my face

Once, again, small town local media driven that locals fans read a ton into.
His instagram is up and pretty active. "Foot in mouth comments" are from people who read into everything.

And the article you posted. He talks like he's harder on himself than any Toronto media could ever be. I can speak from personal experience that being your own harshest critic where anything you do is never good enough to please yourself is probably worse than what any sports writer can write about you.

When you get inside your own head and care too much it can be detrimental to your own mental health. This is probably why I sympathize and want Elvis to be successful more than most people here. Its real easy for certain people to be keyboard warriors and talk trash about player but when you get in your own head that is the person you ultimately have to answer to it becomes a whole different world.

This is the biggest reason I think he needs a fresh start somewhere other than Columbus. Trying the mental reset here just has not worked.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Once, again, small town local media driven that locals fans read a ton into.
His instagram is up and pretty active. "Foot in mouth comments" are from people who read into everything.

And the article you posted. He talks like he's harder on himself than any Toronto media could ever be. I can speak from personal experience that being your own harshest critic where anything you do is never good enough to please yourself is probably worse than what any sports writer can write about you.

When you get inside your own head and care too much it can be detrimental to your own mental health. This is probably why I sympathize and want Elvis to be successful more than most people here. Its real easy for certain people to be keyboard warriors and talk trash about player but when you get in your own head that is the person you ultimately have to answer to it becomes a whole different world.

This is the biggest reason I think he needs a fresh start somewhere other than Columbus. Trying the mental reset here just has not worked.
Foot in mouth .. did he request or demand a trade or not ? Because he said he did , him and agent walked it back the next day .. Once again .. he was angry , said something he shouldn’t .. now go do that in the Toronto media , and see how that goes

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Foot in mouth .. did he request or demand a trade or not ? Because he said he did , him and agent walked it back the next day .. Once again .. he was angry , said something he shouldn’t .. now go do that in the Toronto media , and see how that goes
I'd have been pissed at Jarmo too if I was treated the way he was at the time.

Not beating a dead horse any more. Sometimes people say the wrong thing. The team management is just a guilty of "misspeaking" in this whole scenario. I don't treat their side of the story as the gospel either. Jarmo stuck his foot in his mouth just as much if not more when it comes to how he dealt with players.

Reactions: MAHJ71 and koteka

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
the "don't buy him out, find a trade" folks aren't considering how narrow the market is for him given the off-ice temperament stuff like this. the guy let the fan/media pressure rattle him repeatedly in columbus.

the only teams that would theoretically want him are ones that:
  1. have ample cap space
  2. has urgency to upgrade in net
  3. are in a small market with minimal media presence
so like… where could they even send him? san jose? columbus is the only team that definitively checks all four of those boxes and their whole motivation for this trade is to get rid of him!

literally just buy him out, let him sign a cheap UFA deal to be a backup somewhere, and move on from this whole thing.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think Elvis would be an ideal target for Toronto because he is so sensitive to what fans say about him. And there will be haters and death threats and everything imaginable with a fanbase that large.

But I'd be very surprised if he tries to block a trade anywhere. He's needed a fresh start for years now.

Of course if you can't find a retained salary trade you just buy him out. We're not deciding between those two things, the trade market is and we'll take a trade if it can be done.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
And it's paywalled. And I have no intention whatsoever of paying any amount of money for anything Kypreos has to say.

"When it comes to continuing that change beyond the head coach position, at least publicly, the Leafs brass feel open to making serious adjustments to the roster.

“When you go through a season that you’ve had, everything is on the table,” Treliving said.

After Monday’s availability with players, even more questions emerged about the future of Leafs star Mitch Marner, who is entering the final year of his contract. While Marner has said he wants to remain a Leaf, the notion of keeping the team’s highly-paid core together without playoff success appears untenable.

“We will look at everything this summer and we will consider everything this summer,” Shanahan said."

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Curious if there is any chance Boone Jenner is moved? Seems like the type of player Ottawa may be targeting this offseason.

I imagine the ask would be pretty high. Not sure what the Jackets would be looking for in return, or if he is basically an untouchable being the captain.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
Curious if there is any chance Boone Jenner is moved? Seems like the type of player Ottawa may be targeting this offseason.

I imagine the ask would be pretty high. Not sure what the Jackets would be looking for in return, or if he is basically an untouchable being the captain.
Pretty untouchable and he’s the captain. I’m of the opinion he’s a fixture though he should be one any line but the top line. Love your screen name makes me think of the Aeropagite.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

According to repeated statements by the CBJ fanbase, the CBJ front office, the CBJ ownership, and the CBJ captain, he's not going anywhere.

Reactions: Dionysus

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2