Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors and Discussion

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
What moves should we make this offseason? Who should stay and go? Will we be active in the UFA/trade market? Will anyone be bought out?

Discuss all offseason roster matters in here.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Long shot IMO. But a great teammate, which is valuable. Probably not a bad thing to be in good standing with the Fantilli household too.
A low-risk move just like the Stars signing Jordie Benn as an undrafted FA as a showing of good faith to his younger brother. Benn ended up working his ass off and securing a nice little NHL career for himself. Or, for a more close-to-home example, us signing Owen Sillinger.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
A low-risk move just like the Stars signing Jordie Benn as an undrafted FA as a showing of good faith to his younger brother. Benn ended up working his ass off and securing a nice little NHL career for himself. Or, for a more close-to-home example, us signing Owen Sillinger.

Where does Caleb Jones fit into this……

Anyone??

Maybe Seth Jones shouldn’t be looked at like Jeff Carter….

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Why’d we strip the ‘C’ and totally move on from him, only to bring in Sean Kuraly for essentially the same amount of money and role?
the lack of engagement on this comment is a good sign for the overall health of the board but i can't just let it slide lol

first, obviously, at no point did they 'strip the C' from him.

second, they 'moved on' from him because he was an expensive ($5.5m), old (33), pending UFA winger producing at a third line rate (16 points in 42 GP) and a team offered a first round pick.

third – this one required painstaking research to confirm – $2.5m (kuraly's aav) is actually a signifitcantly lower figure than all of the following numbers:
  • $3.8m (aav on foligno's bruins contract)
  • $4.0m (aav on foligno's first chicago contract)
  • $4.5m (aav on foligno's extension in chicago)
fourth, kuraly has almost entirely been a fourth line center here (occasionally playing up on the third due to injury), while foligno was always in the top six here and on the power play, so… not the same role, either!

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
First 5 moves -

1. Fix the room with veteran leadership - sign a veteran "pro" guy or guys and jettison a couple of roster guys. Who are those guys as of right now no clue but would look for someone like a Nick Foligno type. True professional
  2. Buyout/trade Elvis and get a veteran goalie that isn't a 1B - Jacob Markstrom?
  3. Solidify your top line/help for Gaudreau. Make the top line consistent and stop the line blender. Keep the Russian line together.
  4. Send Jiricek unless he has a great camp back to the AHL. Trade 2 of the 3 - Bean, Boqvist or Provorov. Sort out in the Summer
  5. New coaching staff - completely (Craig Berube-HC)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Where does Caleb Jones fit into this……

Anyone??

Maybe Seth Jones shouldn’t be looked at like Jeff Carter….
Did Jeff Carter have a sibling who was decent/average at hockey? I'm confused.

Are you trying to say Seth Jones wanted out of Columbus because we didn't acquire his brother?

I mean Chicago did and look where his play went. He wanted to play for a winner and the Blackhawks catfished him by pretending to be committed to winning.

Reactions: LJ7

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
  1. fix the room with veteran leadership - sign a veteran "pro" guy or guys and jettison a couple of roster guys. Who are those guys as of right now no clue but would look for someone like a Nick Foligno type. True professional
That's the thinking that gives you a 4x4 Gudbransson who doesn't actually fix anything. Sure add a good veteran if there's a reasonable deal available, but the real change needs to from current and future stars filling those boots. Just like Hughes and Pettersson did this year in Canucks

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
That's the thinking that gives you a 4x4 Gudbransson who doesn't actually fix anything. Sure add a good veteran if there's a reasonable deal available, but the real change needs to from current and future stars filling those boots. Just like Hughes and Pettersson did this year in Canucks
Agreed. What we need is not just "veteran leadership" but "really good established NHL player." This may be what people are suggesting when they say "get a vet" but it's not clear. It should be clear. We need the Nick Foligno that we got when we actually acquired Nick Foligno, not the current Nick Foligno.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
First 5 moves -

1. Fix the room with veteran leadership - sign a veteran "pro" guy or guys and jettison a couple of roster guys. Who are those guys as of right now no clue but would look for someone like a Nick Foligno type. True professional
  2. Buyout/trade Elvis and get a veteran goalie that isn't a 1B - Jacob Markstrom?
  3. Solidify your top line/help for Gaudreau. Make the top line consistent and stop the line blender. Keep the Russian line together.
  4. Send Jiricek unless he has a great camp back to the AHL. Trade 2 of the 3 - Bean, Boqvist or Provorov. Sort out in the Summer
  5. New coaching staff - completely (Craig Berube-HC)
i don't think the roster can accommodate bringing in two veteran forwards (one 'foligno' type and one to support gaudreau) + keeping all three russians together unless you're trading one or both of johnson + sillinger just for the sake of clearing space.

you'd have 12 lineup spots (14 total) for:
  1. tbd veteran #1
  2. tbd veteran #2
  3. fantilli
  4. gaudreau
  5. jenner
  6. laine
  7. marchenko
  8. chinakhov
  9. voronkov
  10. johnson
  11. sillinger
  12. texier
  13. kuraly
  14. danforth
  15. olivier
  16. nylander
that's without considering that brindley's absolutely going to push for a roster spot + none of the guys listed above are waivers-exempt.

jettisoning guys in the bottom six or fringes of the lineup is fine and all, but that'll lead to guys playing roles that don't fit their skillset (i.e. kj on the fourth line)

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I hope that the new GM is a superb evaluator of young talent who already have had some NHL (or soon will) experience-not just a drafting guy.

A very accurate assessment of KJ, the Russians, Jiricek, Sillinger, Tarisov, Greaves, Brindley and whomever else I may be missing will be essential if this team is going to be capable of competing at the highest level. The majority of the listed players are NOT going to be as good as many on this board think. Parting with many of these pieces while they still have close to top trading value in a series of trades or a blockbuster is how this team is going to take a step to the next level. I didn't include Fanilli or Mateychuk but if either of those two don't develop at an acceptable rate, then they need to be on-the-table as well.

This team will not be a Stanley Cup contender based on normal development of young prospects. Trading and very astute drafting will be the key. Big wins on key trades will be the way to success for the new GM.

Reactions: cslebn

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
the lack of engagement on this comment is a good sign for the overall health of the board but i can't just let it slide lol

first, obviously, at no point did they 'strip the C' from him.

second, they 'moved on' from him because he was an expensive ($5.5m), old (33), pending UFA winger producing at a third line rate (16 points in 42 GP) and a team offered a first round pick.

Semantics. He was the captain. They decided to “move on” from him being the captain and removed him from the roster altogether. I’m not sure if those decisions went hand in hand 100% or not.

I genuinely don’t know what happened with the pick/player we got for him. He’s still playing in the league and look at what has happened to our team since he’s been gone. What’s the EXACT style of player we are looking for right now? I’m assuming he would have re-signed, before or after going to a team at that deadline.

third – this one required painstaking research to confirm – $2.5m (kuraly's aav) is actually a signifitcantly lower figure than all of the following numbers:
  • $3.8m (aav on foligno's bruins contract)
  • $4.0m (aav on foligno's first chicago contract)
  • $4.5m (aav on foligno's extension in chicago)

Again, semantics. What is “significantly lower”?? 1.3 million? Ok fine, then it should be noted that his cap hit has gone up each year because his value hasn’t diminished THAT significantly, and its a CHI team now that’s more than willing to “overpay” him a bit. I’m also willing to bet Foligno would have been more than willing to take less money to continue playing with the CBJ. His cap hit was always gonna drop “significantly” from the 5.5m.

fourth, kuraly has almost entirely been a fourth line center here (occasionally playing up on the third due to injury), while foligno was always in the top six here and on the power play, so… not the same role, either!

Not sure what Foligno’s PAST “role” matters here at all. Even if they wanted to take the ‘C’ from him, I’m assuming he would have accepted an ‘A’, and continued playing.

Actually thinking more about it, and something you said in your 1st paragraph. He wasn’t “old” at 33, especially for a captain, and it’s not like his game wasn’t worthy of a roster spot, as you noted what the trade return and future contracts were. Maybe he wouldn’t have handled the decision and taking an ‘A’ and I should double down on the “stripped” language after all….

Last edited:

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Or Marcus Foligno? Or Jesper Boquist? Or Matthew Gaudreau? Or Kyle Johnson? Or William Nylander?

Tim Sestito?
The Foligno’s are probably the only logical comparison to the Jones’ when looking at where each brother was or looked at in relation to the team, and how much “work” or how many “assets” they would need to move in order to acquire the “lesser” brother.

I would love to have all 3 guys around in the NHL to this day and Caleb could be in the AHL still close to Seth.

More than a few people talked about Marcus Foligno as a player to add years ago when Nick was around, and possibly even before.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Did Jeff Carter have a sibling who was decent/average at hockey? I'm confused.

Are you trying to say Seth Jones wanted out of Columbus because we didn't acquire his brother?

I mean Chicago did and look where his play went. He wanted to play for a winner and the Blackhawks catfished him by pretending to be committed to winning.

Ok, I have to spell it out. People around here seemingly hate Jones and treat him like he’s Jeff Carter, as if he turned his back on them and the team

The idea is that he asked out because the team was going through some type of “rebuild”.

My idea or theory is that the team were the ones that wasn’t overly committed TO HIM. As adding his brother to the organization, as they have with OTHER family members or players local to the area, would have taken MINIMAL effort while possible having a HUGE impact on Jones staying with the team.

Why?

The Chicago Blackhawks acquired his brother right after getting Seth.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Semantics. He was the captain. They decided to “move on” from him being the captain and removed him from the roster altogether. I’m not sure if those decisions went hand in hand 100% or not.
your exact words were that they 'stripped the C' from him. that is very specific phrasing commonly understood to mean demoted from the captaincy but kept on the roster.
I genuinely don’t know what happened with the pick/player we got for him.
they got a 1st and a 4th for foligno. they used the first rounder on ceulemans and traded the fourth rounder for mathieu olivier.
Again, semantics. What is “significantly lower”?? 1.3 million?
that said … if we were comparing $100 million to $98.7 million, that's "essentially the same" (your words) amount of money.

but foligno's $3.8m aav in boston is 52% higher than what kuraly makes here. it is a significant percentage of that total. not exactly rocket science.

the funny thing here is that i genuinely agree with you that they should have just brought him back instead of paying kuraly (it's a moot point, he went to boston to chase a cup). i'm not arguing about that – i'm pointing out the egregious inaccuracies in your last post.

Actually thinking more about it, and something you said in your 1st paragraph. He wasn’t “old” at 33, especially for a captain,
jakob silfverberg just retired. john tavares just played his 1100th NHL game. erik karlsson, who has missed a ton of time in his career due to injuries, just played his 1000th. tomas tatar is a sub-NHL player at this point.

what do all of those guys i mentioned have in common? they're all 33. in NHL terms, 33 is ancient.

player effectiveness – particularly offensively – peaks around age 25. foligno became a full-time NHL player at 21, and had his offensive peak at 27. he was six years removed from that peak (and a pending UFA) when they traded him.
and it’s not like his game wasn’t worthy of a roster spot, as you noted what the trade return and future contracts. Maybe he wouldn’t have handled the decision and taking an ‘A’ after all….
not sure why you've gone out of your way to invent a magical fantasy world in which the blue jackets apparently wanted to strip the C from nick foligno – something you said was 'semantics' only to explicitly describe twice in the same comment – but that was never going to happen.

Reactions: Viqsi and LJ7

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
The move is obvious. Veteran, leader, great glue guy, lots of playoff experience, voice people will listen to, guy who can teach the young centers - we throw a bunch of money at Stamkos.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
i don't think the roster can accommodate bringing in two veteran forwards (one 'foligno' type and one to support gaudreau) + keeping all three russians together unless you're trading one or both of johnson + sillinger just for the sake of clearing space.

you'd have 12 lineup spots (14 total) for:
  1. tbd veteran #1
  2. tbd veteran #2
  3. fantilli
  4. gaudreau
  5. jenner
  6. laine
  7. marchenko
  8. chinakhov
  9. voronkov
  10. johnson
  11. sillinger
  12. texier
  13. kuraly
  14. danforth
  15. olivier
  16. nylander
Don’t sign Nylander (as I’ve been saying), trade Laine and Kuraly.

Gaudreau Fantilli Vet
Johnson Jenner Vet
Chinakhov Voronkov Marchenko
Texier Sillinger Danforth
Olivier

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Don’t sign Nylander (as I’ve been saying), trade one of Tex/Laine/Kuraly.
I can't see a reality where a new GM comes in and has an asset on his team that performed exceedingly well ever since entering in the system and DOESNT retain his for what's essentially an ELC (874k). This is a business and at the of the day Nylander is an asset with a current positive value that other people will covet. It's literal definition of a low risk/high reward scenario.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
I can't see a reality where a new GM comes in and has an asset on his team that performed exceedingly well ever since entering in the system and DOESNT retain his for what's essentially an ELC (874k). This is a business and at the of the day Nylander is an asset with a current positive value that other people will covet. It's literal definition of a low risk/high reward scenario.

Disagree 10000% that Nylander is an asset now.

I thought we want to gain good players not replacement level players!? What skill is Nylander great at?

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
**The system of a coach that is on his way out the door, on a last place team playing meaningless games, on a line with Gaudreau**
And? You're getting a new coach and you want to give him as many tools to work with as possible. You're getting one for essentially free. If you can get a player who can put up 40ish pts for under 1M who isn't a defensive liability, that's a big win for your depth and frees up to spend elsewhere. He's a flexible asset you can move up or if he's not performing as hoped you send him down and worst case scenario, he's someone else's problem.

Unless we're having to start counting contracts, I don't see how he's not retained.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
And? You're getting a new coach and you want to give him as many tools to work with as possible.
Ever notice how the guys that have great seasons in Arizona leave and aren’t very good at all?
You're getting one for essentially free. If you can get a player who can put up 40ish pts for under 1M who isn't a defensive liability, that's a big win for your depth and frees up to spend elsewhere. He's a flexible asset you can move up or if he's not performing as hoped you send him down and worst case scenario, he's someone else's problem.

Unless we're having to start counting contracts, I don't see how he's not retained.
Yeah, except that is not Nylander.

Reactions: cbjthrowaway

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The Foligno’s are probably the only logical comparison to the Jones’ when looking at where each brother was or looked at in relation to the team, and how much “work” or how many “assets” they would need to move in order to acquire the “lesser” brother.

I would love to have all 3 guys around in the NHL to this day and Caleb could be in the AHL still close to Seth.

More than a few people talked about Marcus Foligno as a player to add years ago when Nick was around, and possibly even before.
But the Sillingers aren’t a “logical comparison to the Jones’” yet that’s where you started this train of thought.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I don't know why some people still engage with certain bad faith posters.

We would need to move Laine without getting alot of salary back to offer a contract that would interest Stamkos.

Is it noticeably better than say Roslovic or Sillinger? I don’t think so.
He would cost a quarter of Roslovic, being comparable and cheaper makes him better

Reactions: squashmaple

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad