Around the NHL 2023-24 - playoff thread

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Ah, damn. So this is like, the Arizona Coyotes sold the assets of the team, including contracts for players and reserve lists, to this Utah franchise, and still exist, although in $0 revenue $0 cost format? Crikey. This means that there will have to be some complementary eastern expansion in the future.
Yep, he basically has 5 years to build an arena and trigger an expansion draft to have his team back. I presume the interest from Atlanta groups and ever present QC gives them the confidence to do this, along with the assumption that he won't actually do it.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Yep, he basically has 5 years to build an arena and trigger an expansion draft to have his team back. I presume the interest from Atlanta groups and ever present QC gives them the confidence to do this, along with the assumption that he won't actually do it.

I just don't get Atlanta not having a team, and I know they've tried twice, I hear all the counter arguments, but it's a massive city and the population growth is literally not from the southeast so...

Georgia is weird in general though. MARTA arguments, the inherent racism in why it stops before it should, etc.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I just don't get Atlanta not having a team, and I know they've tried twice, I hear all the counter arguments, but it's a massive city and the population growth is literally not from the southeast so...

Georgia is weird in general though. MARTA arguments, the inherent racism in why it stops before it should, etc.
I'm truly indifferent about getting a team back here, maybe that would change if something more concrete occurs to suggest it will actually happen, but there's really no getting around Atlanta and Houston as markets a US/Canada based league needs to be in. The Coyotes moving to Utah pours some cold water on both coming in simultaneously.

Unfortunately Atlanta will forever suffer from inherently racist transit and city planning policies from many decades ago. The true city limits contain more housing and and are much more walkable than they were 15 years ago when the Thrashers left, but there is still the problem of the 75/85 connector, your point of where MARTA does and doesn't go, and the gentrification factor involved with the improvements that have been made (though that's a whole separate conversation).

I can tell you if I had the money to afford the space I have in the suburbs, I would actually live in the city limits now which is something I wouldn't have said a decade ago. But it's not enough to make a downtown arena make sense for hockey to this point which would really be the ideal scenario for a return. I also wonder if NHL Atlanta lost their niche with the arrival of Atlanta United since the Thrashers left. They're the most heavily attended MLS team by far and have completely won over the youthful, diverse demographic that the Thrashers consistently tried and failed to market to by resonating with the identity of particularly urban ATLiens.

It's part of why I'm so much more pro the Anson Carter group than I am the other proposal. In theory, they're both in Alpharetta. But North Fulton county can claim to still be Atlanta and still try to resonate with actual Atlanta residents in a way South Forsyth cannot. There is growing appetite to expand MARTA in a meaningful capacity to reach North Fulton, and the arena development itself could really help with that. Many people would be happier to contribute to the economy in Fulton vs. Forsyth, and getting Marta to that area would unite Atlanta proper to Alpharetta in a way that would make it feel more akin to Sandy Springs or the area of Cobb where the Braves' stadium is located (not that MARTA goes there either) and less like a disconnected suburban city. MARTA will never extend all the way to Forsyth which would be a major blow for any urban or south suburban fans actually wanting to attend games.

Didn't mean to turn this thread into an ATL discourse for the 3rd time in a year, so I'll stop there.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I'm truly indifferent about getting a team back here, maybe that would change if something more concrete occurs to suggest it will actually happen, but there's really no getting around Atlanta and Houston as markets a US/Canada based league needs to be in. The Coyotes moving to Utah pours some cold water on both coming in simultaneously.

Unfortunately Atlanta will forever suffer from inherently racist transit and city planning policies from many decades ago. The true city limits contain more housing and and are much more walkable than they were 15 years ago when the Thrashers left, but there is still the problem of the 75/85 connector, your point of where MARTA does and doesn't go, and the gentrification factor involved with the improvements that have been made (though that's a whole separate conversation).

I can tell you if I had the money to afford the space I have in the suburbs, I would actually live in the city limits now which is something I wouldn't have said a decade ago. But it's not enough to make a downtown arena make sense for hockey to this point which would really be the ideal scenario for a return. I also wonder if NHL Atlanta lost their niche with the arrival of Atlanta United since the Thrashers left. They're the most heavily attended MLS team by far and have completely won over the youthful, diverse demographic that the Thrashers consistently tried and failed to market to by resonating with the identity of particularly urban ATLiens.

It's part of why I'm so much more pro the Anson Carter group than I am the other proposal. In theory, they're both in Alpharetta. But North Fulton county can claim to still be Atlanta and still try to resonate with actual Atlanta residents in a way South Forsyth cannot. There is growing appetite to expand MARTA in a meaningful capacity to reach North Fulton, and the arena development itself could really help with that. Many people would be happier to contribute to the economy in Fulton vs. Forsyth, and getting Marta to that area would unite Atlanta proper to Alpharetta in a way that would make it feel more akin to Sandy Springs or the area of Cobb where the Braves' stadium is located (not that MARTA goes there either) and less like a disconnected suburban city. MARTA will never extend all the way to Forsyth which would be a major blow for any urban or south suburban fans actually wanting to attend games.

Didn't mean to turn this thread into an ATL discourse for the 3rd time in a year, so I'll stop there.

Excellent analysis and having worked at an ATL based company for the last year, I agree wholeheartedly. It's a shame, because that corridor from north springs to an area between roswell and alpharetta (with station stops for each town and the arena mid-area) would be amazing with the MARTA extension, and that's all within Fulton.

One day. America sucks at public transit anyway. Here in Raleigh we struggle to get light rail/metro built, and are settling for BRT (not my favorite) and even that people are complaining about. We lost Raleigh->Wilmington train 50 years ago and people are saying how trains are just wastes of money, ignoring the absolutely massive economic development that happens along the train lines and around the stations which nobody ever factors into the discussion of the cost. They're going to do it but they're doing it dumbly along existing freight ROW to towns nobody needs to go to (Selma, Goldsboro) and making the train slow enough that cars on interstate 40 will beat the train by 30 minutes. The train should be as crow flies, on modern high speed tech, and beating cars by an hour.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Excellent analysis and having worked at an ATL based company for the last year, I agree wholeheartedly. It's a shame, because that corridor from north springs to an area between roswell and alpharetta (with station stops for each town and the arena mid-area) would be amazing with the MARTA extension, and that's all within Fulton.

One day. America sucks at public transit anyway. Here in Raleigh we struggle to get light rail/metro built, and are settling for BRT (not my favorite) and even that people are complaining about. We lost Raleigh->Wilmington train 50 years ago and people are saying how trains are just wastes of money, ignoring the absolutely massive economic development that happens along the train lines and around the stations which nobody ever factors into the discussion of the cost. They're going to do it but they're doing it dumbly along existing freight ROW to towns nobody needs to go to (Selma, Goldsboro) and making the train slow enough that cars on interstate 40 will beat the train by 30 minutes. The train should be as crow flies, on modern high speed tech, and beating cars by an hour.
Trains should be subterranean and mag lev speed trains. Why just perpetuate a somewhat updated version of a train from 150 years ago?

Camille the Eel

Don’t know the whole story but potentially very unfair to him. Wasn’t it rumored that he was personally a pawn in a game involving some Oligarchs close to the former Kremlin and was therefore unable to leave without risking his neck? Even without that the situation is tense and insecure enough that I don’t like to see any KHL player be penalized for not coming to the NHL right now. There are serious cross currents. Don’t go after the players.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Don’t know the whole story but potentially very unfair to him. Wasn’t it rumored that he was personally a pawn in a game involving some Oligarchs close to the former Kremlin and was therefore unable to leave without risking his neck? Even without that the situation is tense and insecure enough that I don’t like to see any KHL player be penalized for not coming to the NHL right now. There are serious cross currents. Don’t go after the players.

They already did this?

Why is he punished again and more severely for the same thing?

IMG_6703.jpeg

And I’m not talking politics, what’s their dumb official reason according to their rules?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad