Around the NHL - (Playoffs Edition)

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
When I first saw it (was a different view) I only saw the 2 hand slash from McDavid and the cross check from Zadorov and I was fine with that exchange. But seeing it from this view is yikers.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. He got pushed, and responded with a 2 handed chop. Every playoff team worth being in the final 8 is going to immediately use that as permission to unload on him, especially when he bloodied your star defenseman’s face with no repercussions in the previous game.

Zadorov’s shot from behind is what turned it into the crosscheck landing on his face, it was pretty clearly aimed at his chest. Shitty outcome, but it wasn’t meant to take his head off at any point. McDavid needs to not escalate to the slash and none of that ever happens.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. He got pushed, and responded with a 2 handed chop. Every playoff team worth being in the final 8 is going to immediately use that as permission to unload on him, especially when he bloodied your star defenseman’s face with no repercussions in the previous game.

Zadorov’s shot from behind is what turned it into the crosscheck landing on his face, it was pretty clearly aimed at his chest. Shitty outcome, but it wasn’t meant to take his head off at any point. McDavid needs to not escalate to the slash and none of that ever happens.
The slash from McDavid wasn't some egregious slash plus Soucy slashed him back with the same intensity and same location and that should have been the end of it. But then Soucy also went for the high cross check at the same time Zadorov came in with the cross check from behind. That's the yikers part.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The slash from McDavid wasn't some egregious slash plus Soucy slashed him back with the same intensity and same location and that should have been the end of it. But then Soucy also went for the high cross check at the same time Zadorov came in with the cross check from behind. That's the yikers part.
I still put it 100% on him. Push Soucy back instead of escalating to the 2 handed and the rest never happens.

I’m not arguing that the end result wasn’t yikes, but I absolutely think he was a moron for escalating it with no teammates around and thinking they weren’t going to take a piece out of him.

Reactions: duckaroosky

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I know he played in the AHL this year but Silovs was the World's MVP last year, he carried the team to the first ever medal, under quite a pressure (playing at home).
DeSmith (VAN backup) is available for a good time now, btw, but they still roll with Silovs

With all due respect to McDavid and the ex-Ducks, I am cheering for the Nucks. A higher pick would be a bonus as well for us. So that Verberk can draft his 4th line grinders over skilled players even earlier :laugh:

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I

I’m not arguing that the end result wasn’t yikes, but I absolutely think he was a moron for escalating it with no teammates around and thinking they weren’t going to take a piece out of him.
In the heat of the moment you don’t always take inventory before going to battle. What McDavid did was show leadership to his teammates. Something Toronto has been looking for for 8 years. And something the Ducks still need. I really can’t blame him for engaging.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I know he played in the AHL this year but Silovs was the World's MVP last year, he carried the team to the first ever medal, under quite a pressure (playing at home).
DeSmith (VAN backup) is available for a good time now, btw, but they still roll with Silovs

With all due respect to McDavid and the ex-Ducks, I am cheering for the Nucks. A higher pick would be a bonus as well for us. So that Verberk can draft his 4th line grinders over skilled players even earlier :laugh:
Canuck's J.T Miller is probably the most underrated player in the game imo.
56% faceoff win rate, career high faceoff wins 823 that leads the Canucks.
59% in the playoffs this year. He's only 31 and seems headed for 1000 points in his career, needs only 361 more.

Its quite amazing how the Canucks went from a team where it looked like a failed rebuild(after acquiring Garland and OEL a few years ago) that needed to rebuild again to now likely headed to Conference finals.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Canuck's J.T Miller is probably the most underrated player in the game imo.
56% faceoff win rate, career high faceoff wins 823 that leads the Canucks.
59% in the playoffs this year. He's only 31 and seems headed for 1000 points in his career, needs only 361 more.

Its quite amazing how the Canucks went from a team where it looked like a failed rebuild(after acquiring Garland and OEL a few years ago) that needed to rebuild again to now likely headed to Conference finals.
I guess getting rid of Benning helped. Huge turnaround since then even if not much player changges happened since.
Pettersson have actually been underwhelming. If he finds a way, then that team is getting even better. Miller is really good, I think he's tasked to play vs McDrai line as well.

VAN fans are praising how well they are able to clean the front of the net which they feel has been crucial to them. Well, I agree. I guess overall Nucks got a bit harder to play against. OEL just did not fit into that.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
If EDM loses to VAN we get the 24th overall i think

Sure would be nice but don’t think it’ll happen

We have 7 picks in the top 90 this draft…

Reactions: Deuce22

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
We have 7 picks in the top 90 this draft…

That last 3rd is 79th, I believe?

Getting nearly a tenth of the top 70-80 guys is really nice. And on the heels of a year where we had 6 in the top 3 rounds, that's THIRTEEN first through third rounders in two years. On top of what was already a good system before ...

... this is why I think we can swing big on our first pick and be okay even if it busts. Or we can go all in on a good trade package if a star player hits the market. Hell I'm even okay if we decide to package a slew of picks for one higher one to nab one more guy in that top 12 or so. We got a lot of legitimately good options here.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
That last 3rd is 79th, I believe?

Getting nearly a tenth of the top 70-80 guys is really nice. And on the heels of a year where we had 6 in the top 3 rounds, that's THIRTEEN first through third rounders in two years. On top of what was already a good system before ...

... this is why I think we can swing big on our first pick and be okay even if it busts. Or we can go all in on a good trade package if a star player hits the market. Hell I'm even okay if we decide to package a slew of picks for one higher one to nab one more guy in that top 12 or so. We got a lot of legitimately good options here.
I'm hoping for 2 monster D men (big and physical) and a forward in our first 3 picks. Demidov/Elick/Emery maybe? Or Silayev/Lev with one of those guys and try to move up and grab the other Russian kid people were talking about earlier?

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I know it is really tough to know how a goalie will develop years later.

But it is ironic that with the 85th pick in the 2019 draft the Edmonton Oilers picked Russian goalie Ilya Konovalov.

John

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I hate Boston and would rather see Edmonton win than Vancouver, but I'm perplexed as to how you can suspend for this but not suspend Bennett for the sucker punch that caused a concussion.

I actually think both should have been fines. Bennett's punch deserved something, either a fine or one game. But this was only as bad as it looked because Zadorov's crosscheck changed where McDavid's head was. It was bad, but not suspension bad.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I hate Boston and would rather see Edmonton win than Vancouver, but I'm perplexed as to how you can suspend for this but not suspend Bennett for the sucker punch that caused a concussion.

I actually think both should have been fines. Bennett's punch deserved something, either a fine or one game. But this was only as bad as it looked because Zadorov's crosscheck changed where McDavid's head was. It was bad, but not suspension bad.

Or fail to suspend for this which actually was intentional and caused more damage. And the standard is supposed to be that the retaliation play always draws more discipline.

The real answer is that the contact to McDavid involved McDavid and the DOPS wants to placate Edmonton fans and the team in one shot by issuing a suspension on a hit to the best player in the league instead of equally by suspending Hyman as well. The problem is, if you're talking about what little forward depth the Oilers have, the first guy you mention is Hyman.

Reactions: Kalv and JAHV

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
You are responsible for your stick regardless of intent.
Right. They should have suspended Hyman as well based on the standard established by the punishment for the same conduct which arose in the very same scrum. The only intelligible reason for why it didn't happen, particularly given clear intent and retaliation, is Zadorov is not as talented/promoted as McDavid.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2