Barracuda News & Discussion VII

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Well, since I've got a minute, thought I'd look at the defense for the Cuda next year, since I've been saying that's where we need to improve. But. We're returning most of the same group from last year, so it seems like the improvement isn't going to come from personnel additions, barring some trades. Looks like something along the lines of:

Knyzhov-Thompson
Furlong-Frisch
Pulli-Bucheler
Guryev, Laroque

The only new prospect I'd pencil into our group is Jake Furlong. He's already signed to an ELC, 20 years old, I don't see why he wouldn't be here. I guess we could bring Havelid over, but that doesn't seem like something I'd bank on.

Don't know if we'll have Mukhamadullin. Depends on what the Sharks want to do. So I didn't include him there. Obviously that'd be a big boost.

Down the right side: Thompson, Frisch, Bucheler. Fairly solid. Thompson brings offense, Frisch brings defense, Bucheler showed some useful tools in his limited time here. I'd love it if Laroque could make some strides and get into the lineup but as is I'd have him below those three. There was one moment in the final weekend of the season I was really concerned about how slow he was moving.

Left side's murkier for me. Knyzhov has a history of starting well and then tailing off/getting hurt. Don't know what to expect from Furlong. Pulli improved during the season and was providing solid third-pairing minutes in the last half of the season, but I don't want to count on him to provide more than that. Guryev is Guryev. I'd love a veteran addition on that side, a la Simek (actually if we could just bring Simek back, that'd be great). That'd bump someone to the ECHL.

Basically: I'm hoping for some improvements in the system, because the faces on defense are going to be pretty familiar. And I actually do think there's some decent talent here, at least enough talent that we shouldn't be the worst defense in the league.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Well, since I've got a minute, thought I'd look at the defense for the Cuda next year, since I've been saying that's where we need to improve. But. We're returning most of the same group from last year, so it seems like the improvement isn't going to come from personnel additions, barring some trades. Looks like something along the lines of:

Knyzhov-Thompson
Furlong-Frisch
Pulli-Bucheler
Guryev, Laroque

The only new prospect I'd pencil into our group is Jake Furlong. He's already signed to an ELC, 20 years old, I don't see why he wouldn't be here. I guess we could bring Havelid over, but that doesn't seem like something I'd bank on.

Don't know if we'll have Mukhamadullin. Depends on what the Sharks want to do. So I didn't include him there. Obviously that'd be a big boost.

Down the right side: Thompson, Frisch, Bucheler. Fairly solid. Thompson brings offense, Frisch brings defense, Bucheler showed some useful tools in his limited time here. I'd love it if Laroque could make some strides and get into the lineup but as is I'd have him below those three. There was one moment in the final weekend of the season I was really concerned about how slow he was moving.

Left side's murkier for me. Knyzhov has a history of starting well and then tailing off/getting hurt. Don't know what to expect from Furlong. Pulli improved during the season and was providing solid third-pairing minutes in the last half of the season, but I don't want to count on him to provide more than that. Guryev is Guryev. I'd love a veteran addition on that side, a la Simek (actually if we could just bring Simek back, that'd be great). That'd bump someone to the ECHL.

Basically: I'm hoping for some improvements in the system, because the faces on defense are going to be pretty familiar. And I actually do think there's some decent talent here, at least enough talent that we shouldn't be the worst defense in the league.
So bummed to hear your thoughts on Gannon. He was a rising star here. I do hope he can get past it all, a past player just never did in Jeremy Roy.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
So bummed to hear your thoughts on Gannon. He was a rising star here. I do hope he can get past it all, a past player just never did in Jeremy Roy.

Not an unreasonable player to compare him to. We'll see how he looks next season. After finally getting into the lineup this year, he played a few games and then got his brains scrambled in February on a hit that I can't believe didn't draw a suspension.

He's still got two years on his contract, I hope he turns out better than Roy did here. But those injuries are mounting up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad