Prospect Info: Blues 2023-2024 Prospect Thread

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Now I know this is a big long shot, but he did impress at the prospects camp when he was here and he could (slim shot) have a Marchment-like rise as he gets older. He clearly plays an important role for London and seems content doing that. He has skill and apparently sandpaper. Maybe the Blues are doing their due diligence with him to see what the real issue is and that's why they've deferred to sign him at the moment.

I couldn't find any info yet about what exactly was said, but he violated a rule or code of the diversity program and also body checked someone during warm up. For the first offense, like I said, it could actually be an issue that I don't want on this team if it is targeted harassment or a racial remark. Someone hypothesized Sim referred to Hache as soft but used a different word (I'll let you infer). If he truly did call them "soft", then I personally don't really find that a big deal. The second offense is whatever. Sure, don't engage with the opposing team during warm up, but that is far and away the least of my issues with a player who is in the playoffs.
Just disregard my general stupidity in this post. Reading is apparently hard for me today.

Marchand was a much, much, much better junior player.

In Marchand's D+1 and D+2 seasons, he had 64 goals and 153 points in 116 games. He had 59 points in 34 playoff games. Marchand was also selected to represent team Canada at the World Juniors twice, putting up 4 goals and 6 points over 7 games in his D+2 season.

Sim had 24 goals and 50 points in 95 games in his 2 post-draft seasons. He has 13 points in 34 playoff games.

We're talking about a massive gap in production at the junior level. Marchand then had 59 points in the AHL during his D+3 season and was just shy of being a point per game player in the AHL in his D+4 season (while doing basically nothing in his first NHL opportunity. He then had 41 points in the NHL in his age 22 season.

Marchand definitely had a late-career surge in his production and effectiveness at the NHL level It is very rare to see a forward have his prime in his age 28-33 seasons. But he wasn't a long-shot, non-junior-standout who took years of pro play to look like he had NHL chops.

Sim is significantly behind the junior-production that you see out of basically every sub-6-footer with an NHL future. And while he is able to play with sandpaper at his size in junior, trying to do that at the pro level is much more difficult at his size.

5'11" is pretty damn small to be a run-around-on-the-4th-line player and the lack of a single 15 goal or 30 point junior season is a decent indicator that he doesn't have the skill to produce at a bottom 6 NHL level in the future. Could he slowly work his way up to an NHL opportunity someday and then find a role as an effective bottom 6 player? Sure. But there are dozens and dozens of guys you can say that about coming out of junior/college every year and plenty of league-minimum vets you can find to be as effective in that role for your team every year. I don't really see much upside beyond that, so I'm not sure what incentive there is to use and NHL contract on him.

Last edited:

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Now I know this is a big long shot, but he did impress at the prospects camp when he was here and he could (slim shot) have a Marchment-like rise as he gets older. He clearly plays an important role for London and seems content doing that. He has skill and apparently sandpaper. Maybe the Blues are doing their due diligence with him to see what the real issue is and that's why they've deferred to sign him at the moment.

I couldn't find any info yet about what exactly was said, but he violated a rule or code of the diversity program and also body checked someone during warm up. For the first offense, like I said, it could actually be an issue that I don't want on this team if it is targeted harassment or a racial remark. Someone hypothesized Sim referred to Hache as soft but used a different word (I'll let you infer). If he truly did call them "soft", then I personally don't really find that a big deal. The second offense is whatever. Sure, don't engage with the opposing team during warm up, but that is far and away the least of my issues with a player who is in the playoffs.
Yeah, he showed good chemistry with Bolduc 2 Prospect Camps ago. Then not much. I don’t see him as a key cog for the Knights.

Not sure what he said either. It might not move the needle on if the Blues were going to sign him or not but it certainly won’t help.

Never expected him to be signed. Iirc his dad works for the Blues and it always felt like a favor to his dad as a late round draft pick
Maybe but they wouldn’t take him if they thought he had zero potential to make it. He just didn’t develop much in the 2 years. And yes, his dad is Jon Sim, whose currently a scout for the Blues.

Blues did the same thing years ago too, drafting Phil McRae while dad Basil was a scout. Basil owns the London Knights and that’s who Phil played for as well. Phil now works as a scout for the Knights. Basil is one of many that followed Jarmo to Columbus.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016

In Marchand's D+1 and D+2 seasons, he had 64 goals and 153 points in 116 games. He had 59 points in 34 playoff games. Marchand was also selected to represent team Canada at the World Juniors twice, putting up 4 goals and 6 points over 7 games in his D+2 season.

Sim had 24 goals and 50 points in 95 games in his 2 post-draft seasons. He has 13 points in 34 playoff games.

We're talking about a massive gap in production at the junior level. Marchand then had 59 points in the AHL during his D+3 season and was just shy of being a point per game player in the AHL in his D+4 season (while doing basically nothing in his first NHL opportunity. He then had 41 points in the NHL in his age 22 season.

Marchand definitely had a late-career surge in his production and effectiveness at the NHL level It is very rare to see a forward have his prime in his age 28-33 seasons. But he wasn't a long-shot, non-junior-standout who took years of pro play to look like he had NHL chops.

Sim is significantly behind the junior-production that you see out of basically every sub-6-footer with an NHL future. And while he is able to play with sandpaper at his size in junior, trying to do that at the pro level is much more difficult at his size.

5'11" is pretty damn small to be a run-around-on-the-4th-line player and the lack of a single 15 goal or 30 point junior season is a decent indicator that he doesn't have the skill to produce at a bottom 6 NHL level in the future. Could he slowly work his way up to an NHL opportunity someday and then find a role as an effective bottom 6 player? Sure. But there are dozens and dozens of guys you can say that about coming out of junior/college every year and plenty of league-minimum vets you can find to be as effective in that role for your team every year. I don't really see much upside beyond that, so I'm not sure what incentive there is to use and NHL contract on him.
He was referring to Mason Marchment.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I had to google Marchment's junior stats because I assumed you had the numbers right, but either typo'd or had your phone auto-correct Marchment to Marchand.

Saw his mediocre junior numbers and realized that was not the case. :laugh:
Nope, just me completely misreading a name and being stupid.

:help:

Reactions: Blueston

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Just disregard my general stupidity in this post. Reading is apparently hard for me today.

Don't worry Bri-guy, happens to the best of us

Reactions: stl76 and Blueston

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Yeah, he showed good chemistry with Bolduc 2 Prospect Camps ago. Then not much. I don’t see him as a key cog for the Knights.
Sorry, I should be more specific in that him playing an important role -> playing bottom 6 bruiser minutes (has been apparently lauded for his role). Idk maybe he does become something, maybe he doesn't, but he hasn't done himself favors by scoring at such a low clip.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
This snafu has led me to look up Mason Marchment’s career. I knew he was a late bloomer but damn. His first OHL season was at age 19 (it’s usually 16). Played another OHL season as an overager. Then toiled in the minors for years. Really no eye popping numbers along the way and then bam! 47 pts in 54 games for the Panthers 2 years ago. 53 pts this season.

That…is a pretty insane career arc.

I’ll note though that Marchment is 6’4”. The odds of 5’11” Landon Sim replicating that are not good.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

based on the linked article, this is fairly bogus suspension. maybe a game, but 5 for calling someone a p*ssy is insane.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016

based on the linked article, this is fairly bogus suspension. maybe a game, but 5 for calling someone a p*ssy is insane.
Yea, if we are to assume that the reporting is correct, I think it's pretty insane to give out that many games. Like I said, if there was more to the exchange that was racist or sexist, then I could understand the suspension, but there isn't really an indication that's what was allegedly said. It's sort of a moot point regarding the Blues since he hasn't quite developed an offensive game so it's anyone's guess if he was going to be signed, but for Sim, this is a massive deal since it's likely his last time to compete for a championship.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

Something doesn’t make sense here.
“If they’re going to suspend a guy for that,” he said, “they’d better get ready give out 20 suspensions a game.”
That’s what an OHL exec said. And I’d have to agree. So either Sim is being punished way more than pretty much everyone else or part of the story is being glossed over. I trust Ken Campbell did his homework and it’s the former and not the latter. Which is ridiculous he’d be suspended for that. I hear NHLers use that work somewhat frequently and that’s just when there happens to be a mic close enough to pick it up.

My recollection is that Ken Campbell’s reporting is usually quite conservative so for him to basically write a piece that the PC culture has gone too far is a sign they definitely went too far in this case. I’m all for there being punishment for anything racist but they’re going to eliminate chirping all together if they continue down this road.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
What do we expect at this point? Just look at this forum. Last week I called out one of our posters for being a hypocrite. No bad language, no personal insults, just telling someone their full of shyte. Two hours later the mods had deleted my 3 sentence post. The thought police are here to stay.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Calling someone a cat is pretty bad!
200w.gif

Scott Van Pelt doesn’t think so.
#catpride

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
What do we expect at this point? Just look at this forum. Last week I called out one of our posters for being a hypocrite. No bad language, no personal insults, just telling someone their full of shyte. Two hours later the mods had deleted my 3 sentence post. The thought police are here to stay.
Really depends how you said it. I can call you a hypocrite and do it in a way that would get me fired, or I can respectfully say you're being hypocritical in your analyses and you should reconsider how you got to your position. They've let a lot of "crazy" shit go here recently so I'd be surprised if that's the only reason it got deleted.

Note: "Crazy" as in stuff I'd personally be surprised got through moderation

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Really depends how you said it. I can call you a hypocrite and do it in a way that would get me fired, or I can respectfully say you're being hypocritical in your analyses and you should reconsider how you got to your position. They've let a lot of "crazy" shit go here recently so I'd be surprised if that's the only reason it got deleted.

i think mods here generally do a great job and it makes this place more fun to hang out. as much as it can be frustrating when mods delete a post- and i've had it happen- the alternative is someplace like the asylum where there is seemingly no mods and it's just crazy talk there 80% of the time. civil debate tends to be more fun for most everyone, and mods occasionally slapping our hand (or just deleting posts) is small price to pay for that.

Reactions: STL fan in MN

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018

The post I had responded to was to one of the more toxic posters who never seems to face consequence for anything they post. I'm convinced it's a buddy system at this point. Appreciate your response, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad