Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread - 2024

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
  • Capitals prospect Ryan Leonard opted not to sign with Washington for their playoff run, instead choosing to stay at Boston College instead. However, with San Jose getting the first-overall pick (which is expected to be used on Macklin Celebrini), it’s possible that Celebrini signing will also result in San Jose getting Will Smith to turn pro and become their one-two punch down the middle. If that happens, Colby Cohen suggested on a recent Daily Faceoff appearance (video link) that Washington could then try to re-engage on getting Leonard, a current teammate of Smith, to sign for 2024-25. Leonard had a dominant campaign, putting up 31 goals and 29 assists in 41 games in his freshman year.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I don't understand why SJ drafting Celebrini would suddenly change the odds on Smith signing. I keep seeing that suggestion, but have yet to hear anyone provide a reasoning behind it.

Doesn't mean there isn't something to justify it. I just haven't seen it. And of course people like Seravelli may have sources that are telling him that off the record.

Reactions: Serial_Derecho

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I’d wager the mindset of Smith *could* easily change if Celebrini joins the Sharks this summer. He (Smith) will want to be 1C. Who wouldn’t?

Celebrini will want same. Best way to do that, is start to “stake your claim” as early as possible.

Build a future for yourself, as well as with your teammates.

Reactions: Calicaps

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
On DVR watch of the US vs. Sweden gamen in the 2nd period so far. Swedes up 2-0. Leonard so far is the most physical player definitely trying to wear the Swedes's D down. Has the best hit of the game. Farraby and Leonard had a two on one early in the first but Farraby elected to shoot.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
On DVR watch of the US vs. Sweden gamen in the 2nd period so far. Swedes up 2-0. Leonard so far is the most physical player definitely trying to wear the Swedes's D down. Has the best hit of the game. Farraby and Leonard had a two on one early in the first but Farraby elected to shoot.
Still have not finished that game so second part post coming up later today.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Ahh another two on one with Farraby yet again just elects to shoot.

Werenzski with amazing receiving of a pass then a laser half slap shot for a goal. Slowmotion showed that his eyes were on goalies even as he moved the puck into a position to shoot and then through the entire shot. Was very cool.

Leonard draws a penalty in the 3rd.

US looks a lot better as the game went on at this point. Entertaining hockey also.

US just didn't finish his chances. Still go back to that first two on one that if Farraby passed and it got through would be a layup.

Also Smith looked better as the game went along.

I'll move game two feedback into the new thread.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I’d wager the mindset of Smith *could* easily change if Celebrini joins the Sharks this summer. He (Smith) will want to be 1C. Who wouldn’t?

Celebrini will want same. Best way to do that, is start to “stake your claim” as early as possible.

Build a future for yourself, as well as with your teammates.
I respect Leonards decision either way. But i really do believe this is the year for him to jump to NHL. He immediate steps into a top 9 role and learns from the core (especially if Oshie stays). I just know if it is as good for him next year even though Oshie will come off the books.

this whole situation with the sharks could change things. Hopefully they both do great in worlds and opens up a path. I still think if one goes the other goes. Or they both stay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad