Carson Soucy to have a hearing for Cross-check to Connor McDavid - suspended 1 game (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
There is a clear double standard in this league. McDavid has gotten away with worse in the past and didn’t even get so much as a slap on the wrist. He knows the league is protecting him so he’s never afraid to start shit. He got what he deserved.
How did McDavid "start it" again?

None of you seem to answer for this but unless there's another video before the incident that I hadn't seen yet, it looked to me like Soucy pushed McDavid first then everything else happened.

WiLBoY

Aug 29, 2009
How did McDavid "start it" again?

None of you seem to answer for this but unless there's another video before the incident that I hadn't seen yet, it looked to me like Soucy pushed McDavid first then everything else happened.
Pushing is normal in playoffs, golf swinging a guy is not

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
How is cross-checking a guy skating away after they score the same as cross-checking a guy after they slash you with their stick?

Not to mention, Rielly was aiming for the head area while Soucy clearly wasn't, because McDavid was at about half his height after Zadorov hit him from behind.

It's a terrible equivalence and everyone knows it.
If you throw a cross check on someone after the fact, you are responsible for that crosscheck. Regardless as to where you wanted it to land, where it lands is your responsibility since it doesn't happen if you didn't throw your stick out there.

So yes, it looks like he was aiming for McDavid's throat/high chest, and McDavid fell into it which now made it a headshot, the intent to crosscheck remains and the responsibility to what damage it does.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If you throw a cross check on someone after the fact, you are responsible for that crosscheck. Regardless as to where you wanted it to land, where it lands is your responsibility since it doesn't happen if you didn't throw your stick out there.

So yes, it looks like he was aiming for McDavid's throat/high chest, and McDavid fell into it which now made it a headshot, the intent to crosscheck remains and the responsibility to what damage it does.

Well, even if intent doesn't factor in, it won't result in the same number of games because the NHL makes a point of suspensions for the same infraction being less in the playoffs because the significance of every game is larger.

So no, it will not be 5 games, even if he did the exact same thing that Rielly did, which he didn't.

The Toronto Maple Leafs tried to argue in their appeal that Rielly was "retaliating" as a means to lower the number of games, but Bettman did not agree that it was instigated because scoring a goal, no matter how it is done, is not an infraction.

In this case, he was clearly retaliating to McDavid's slash and escalated and that will factor in.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Pushing is normal in playoffs, golf swinging a guy is not
When you push somebody, expect the guy who got pushed to fight back thus McDavid did not start the whole incident. It's pretty simple and obvious.

And, again, you guys are absurd with this hyperbole. First I see that he used a two handed full baseball swing at Soucy (major lol at that analogy) and now it's like a swing a golf club at him. It was a conventional slash that you see multiple times a game. Some of the delusions in this thread are making my head hurt. If he swung it like a baseball bat or golf club, Soucy would have been on the ground writhing in pain.

FTR, I don't think Soucy should be suspended to show that there's no bias here.

Aug 3, 2021

Regal covered this nicely in this post:

Not really. There’s result in terms of the final action and result in terms of the end consequences. Most punishment is from the result in terms of the action. You might not have meant to trip somebody when you put your stick by their skates but if you did it’s still tripping. He didn’t mean to cross check him high but he still cross checked him high. Intent and consequences will usually come into play in terms of leniency of the punishment.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Don't think Soucy did anything wrong. He was intending to hit McDavid with a retaliatory cross check to the chest, which is normal playoff fare. Zadorov, who was the 3rd man in, pushes McDavid causing him to fall into the cross check with his neck/chin. Zadorov should get some kind of discipline for being the 3rd man in and hitting McDavid while vulnerable from behind. Nothing for Soucy though.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Grinner

May 31, 2022
It's unfortunate but, it didn't deserve more than 2 minutes for cross checking on both Canuck players.
2 minutes for slashing for McDavid

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Let’s be honest here. No one is really afraid of the Oilers getting revenge for that hit. First they are not a very physical team and second the playoffs are too important. Revenge is mostly a myth these days.

Yea, if it was the 80s I’d expect a Messier elbow to Hughes’ head, but that doesn’t really happen anymore. Arguably the refs will call things tighter to prevent anything from happening in game 4, which should benefit Edmonton so they should be happy

• Haha
Reactions: theguardianII
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad