Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread XI

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I’ll never understand how any particular type of scoring in a sport can be considered a dick move. Who gives a shit if it’s 7-0? If there’s time on the clock, there’s time to do your job and put the puck in the net. In fact, I think we need more players with the mentality that they should keep pouring it on regardless of the score.

Reactions: Monstershockey

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Two more wins out of next 3 games and they would be celebrating championship in front of home crowd.

I'm feeling genuinely excited for the city of Moose Jaw for this rare opportunity to capture their first WHL title in their 40 years of existence. Last and only time they've been in the finals was in 2006 when they were swept 4-0 by Gilbert Brule and the Vancouver Giants. Of course, to watch Mateychuk as the captain of the team ending his remarkable junior career as a champ would make it all extra special.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I thought he was only good enough to be a tough guy.

Came here to see if anyone had posted this. London fan coming in peace.

McCue has always been a solid player for us, He has an edge, is physical, and not afraid to go to the net. Pretty good at faceoffs as well. Pretty well rounded player. I have concerns about his potential ceiling because he doesn't do any one thing well enough to call it elite, but he also doesn't have any glaring deficiencies in his game. If anything it's his penchant to push things too far with the refs in tight games, but that's really barely a thing and depends too much on the refs to really say it's a problem. He could benefit from tightening things up a bit though.

He's definitely not the biggest guy or going to be a Ryan Reaves or Matt Martin type that just bangs the bodies and fights, but he will be a great energy guy and grinder. He should see some time in the AHL next season and learn how to be effective against men, and if he wants to succeed at the NHL probably will want to improve his skating and strength. Could easily see him being a consistent 4th liner and PKer in the NHL, but past that he'll have to improve loads, at best he is a complementary player middle sixer. Don't see that being the case in CBJ though.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Came here to see if anyone had posted this. London fan coming in peace.

McCue has always been a solid player for us, He has an edge, is physical, and not afraid to go to the net. Pretty good at faceoffs as well. Pretty well rounded player. I have concerns about his potential ceiling because he doesn't do any one thing well enough to call it elite, but he also doesn't have any glaring deficiencies in his game. If anything it's his penchant to push things too far with the refs in tight games, but that's really barely a thing and depends too much on the refs to really say it's a problem. He could benefit from tightening things up a bit though.

He's definitely not the biggest guy or going to be a Ryan Reaves or Matt Martin type that just bangs the bodies and fights, but he will be a great energy guy and grinder. He should see some time in the AHL next season and learn how to be effective against men, and if he wants to succeed at the NHL probably will want to improve his skating and strength. Could easily see him being a consistent 4th liner and PKer in the NHL, but past that he'll have to improve loads, at best he is a complementary player middle sixer. Don't see that being the case in CBJ though.
How does he compare to Kole Sherwood?

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
How does he compare to Kole Sherwood?
Now there's a name I haven't heard in a very, very long time.

First of all, I can barely remember when garbage day is, let alone my viewings of a prospect from roughly 9 years ago, so keep that in mind.

Sherwood was only in London for one year, and I didn't really keep up with him as much once he was traded, which is to say that I didn't watch every single game he played and pay attention to each shift. At the time I was also working like 60 hours a week on night shift so I just didn't watch much in general.

Sherwood's skating was decent to good at the OHL level, but I think that his skating somewhat stagnated past that point and he was a little more awkward and weak on his skates the bigger he got. I seem to recall him being smaller when he played for the Knights, but that might just be misremembering things.

The big thing about Sherwood was that he was a speedy, hardworking, somewhat gritty player and energy guy who was great on the forecheck and the PK and had a good enough shot that he could score goals. I liked him and Cliff Pu a lot at the time, and I think that's because the Hunters seemingly just have a way of getting the most out of guys that come to them.

In Sherwood's case, after he was traded I remember him getting a lot more physical, meaner, and nastier. He started looking to make hits and would sometimes get lost on where he should be and was out of position. On the other hand, he was given a lot more responsibility in Flint and Kitchener, He played on the top line and looked pretty good doing it.

The thing is...I don't know if I'm just biased, or if I'm just looking back with hindsight, but even in his campaign with Kitchener in the playoffs I never saw someone who was anything more than a complimentary piece at best. He had a good, quick shot, but it was more like his shots just had homing beacons in them that found the net than that his shot was actually insanely good, if that makes any sense? He would routinely come off the rush down the halfboards like 30ft from the net and fire a soft(ish) wrister that would just beat the goalie clean, or he would get breakaways and deke out the goalie, or he would either pass the puck or receive the puck for some of the easiest tap in goals I've ever seen. Just so many plays where it seemed like the defense or goalie just wasn't good enough to save the puck or interfere with his shot at all. It was bizarre. He would routinely get goals in the OHL where he just got the puck in front of the net, wired it, and it would go in.

And like, there's something to be said for guys with a "nose for the net" like that, because I think it's one of the easiest translatable skills to the NHL, and having the IQ to anticipate plays and be in the right position is something that's easily overlooked. It's one of my favorite things about Michkov, for example, because he gets so many goals by measuring his space well and sneaking into scoring positions just enough that the defense doesn't cover him tight enough and he has a lethal wrist shot in close.

And I've seen Sherwood have those exact same types of plays I saw in Kitchener in the AHL and NHL...but now they don't go in. They're just easy saves for the goalie.

If anything it's like he regressed and became a different kind of player. Less of a skill guy and more of a grinder. Which is fine, he probably didn't have the skill to be a top 6 player anyways. I think he mostly just stagnated and didn't work on his offensive game enough, and while he still has all the stuff he did in Jr, hasn't really improved from that much. Dunno why. Maybe it was Covid and injury, who knows.

Full disclosure, I went on Youtube and looked through all of Sherwoods points with Kitchener to try and remind myself what he was like with them.

Anyways. You wanted to know how I compare McCue to him.

I think McCue is better in some aspects and worse in others. I think offensively McCue probably isn't as good as Sherwood. I *think* he has a better shot and is a better skater, but it's very close. His playmaking is definitely worse.

Defensively though, I do think he's much better than Sherwood was at the same point in time. McCue can often get penalized for his hits and for mixing it up after the whistle, but he rarely is out of position and when he does make a hit is quick to get back into position. His forecheck probably isn't as good as Sherwood's was, but he's pretty much never caught floating and is often the guy who covers for his d-men when they pinch. He's often just the guy who gets back to break up a man advantage on the rush.

He also doesn't look for the big open ice hit like I've seen Sherwood do. I think his defensive IQ is very high, as he rarely makes mistakes defensively and often corrects for his mistakes when he does. He isn't a selfish player or a player who pushes for an extra chance, he does all the little things correctly, recognizing when he should dump it in, getting back, clogging up the neutral zone, etc. His motor is really, really good. I just watched a 2OT game against Oshawa and I don't think he was gassed at all. He was still getting back, defending plays, and being a huge influence as the extra forward coming back to help the D. This is a somewhat unfair comparison, but it looked like Easton Cowan might die at any minute during some timeframes of that game, and at the end he pushed himself to stay out on the ice for another 30 seconds with the game tied. McCue, meanwhile, looked like the same he had always been. I think that speaks to his endurance, and I think that speaks a lot to the kind of player he is.

He may not amount to much in the NHL, but he will give you his all and do all the hard things no one else will, and he will put the team first.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

First of all, I can barely remember when garbage day is, let alone my viewings of a prospect from roughly 9 years ago, so keep that in mind.

Sherwood was only in London for one year, and I didn't really keep up with him as much once he was traded, which is to say that I didn't watch every single game he played and pay attention to each shift. At the time I was also working like 60 hours a week on night shift so I just didn't watch much in general.

Sherwood's skating was decent to good at the OHL level, but I think that his skating somewhat stagnated past that point and he was a little more awkward and weak on his skates the bigger he got. I seem to recall him being smaller when he played for the Knights, but that might just be misremembering things.

The big thing about Sherwood was that he was a speedy, hardworking, somewhat gritty player and energy guy who was great on the forecheck and the PK and had a good enough shot that he could score goals. I liked him and Cliff Pu a lot at the time, and I think that's because the Hunters seemingly just have a way of getting the most out of guys that come to them.

In Sherwood's case, after he was traded I remember him getting a lot more physical, meaner, and nastier. He started looking to make hits and would sometimes get lost on where he should be and was out of position. On the other hand, he was given a lot more responsibility in Flint and Kitchener, He played on the top line and looked pretty good doing it.

The thing is...I don't know if I'm just biased, or if I'm just looking back with hindsight, but even in his campaign with Kitchener in the playoffs I never saw someone who was anything more than a complimentary piece at best. He had a good, quick shot, but it was more like his shots just had homing beacons in them that found the net than that his shot was actually insanely good, if that makes any sense? He would routinely come off the rush down the halfboards like 30ft from the net and fire a soft(ish) wrister that would just beat the goalie clean, or he would get breakaways and deke out the goalie, or he would either pass the puck or receive the puck for some of the easiest tap in goals I've ever seen. Just so many plays where it seemed like the defense or goalie just wasn't good enough to save the puck or interfere with his shot at all. It was bizarre. He would routinely get goals in the OHL where he just got the puck in front of the net, wired it, and it would go in.

And like, there's something to be said for guys with a "nose for the net" like that, because I think it's one of the easiest translatable skills to the NHL, and having the IQ to anticipate plays and be in the right position is something that's easily overlooked. It's one of my favorite things about Michkov, for example, because he gets so many goals by measuring his space well and sneaking into scoring positions just enough that the defense doesn't cover him tight enough and he has a lethal wrist shot in close.

And I've seen Sherwood have those exact same types of plays I saw in Kitchener in the AHL and NHL...but now they don't go in. They're just easy saves for the goalie.

If anything it's like he regressed and became a different kind of player. Less of a skill guy and more of a grinder. Which is fine, he probably didn't have the skill to be a top 6 player anyways. I think he mostly just stagnated and didn't work on his offensive game enough, and while he still has all the stuff he did in Jr, hasn't really improved from that much. Dunno why. Maybe it was Covid and injury, who knows.

Full disclosure, I went on Youtube and looked through all of Sherwoods points with Kitchener to try and remind myself what he was like with them.

I think McCue is better in some aspects and worse in others. I think offensively McCue probably isn't as good as Sherwood. I *think* he has a better shot and is a better skater, but it's very close. His playmaking is definitely worse.

Defensively though, I do think he's much better than Sherwood was at the same point in time. McCue can often get penalized for his hits and for mixing it up after the whistle, but he rarely is out of position and when he does make a hit is quick to get back into position. His forecheck probably isn't as good as Sherwood's was, but he's pretty much never caught floating and is often the guy who covers for his d-men when they pinch. He's often just the guy who gets back to break up a man advantage on the rush.

He also doesn't look for the big open ice hit like I've seen Sherwood do. I think his defensive IQ is very high, as he rarely makes mistakes defensively and often corrects for his mistakes when he does. He isn't a selfish player or a player who pushes for an extra chance, he does all the little things correctly, recognizing when he should dump it in, getting back, clogging up the neutral zone, etc. His motor is really, really good. I just watched a 2OT game against Oshawa and I don't think he was gassed at all. He was still getting back, defending plays, and being a huge influence as the extra forward coming back to help the D. This is a somewhat unfair comparison, but it looked like Easton Cowan might die at any minute during some timeframes of that game, and at the end he pushed himself to stay out on the ice for another 30 seconds with the game tied. McCue, meanwhile, looked like the same he had always been. I think that speaks to his endurance, and I think that speaks a lot to the kind of player he is.

He may not amount to much in the NHL, but he will give you his all and do all the hard things no one else will, and he will put the team first.

Thanks for this.

I also recall Kole Sherwood getting heavier and heavier each year. He got to the point where he could really rock guys with big hits. If he had an open wing he could fly down and rip it in. He really did have a good shot in open space. Just not very quick to find pockets of space, and his agility and first step either got worse as he got bigger or it just stagnated. He wasn't quick enough on the forecheck and not always smart.

Anyways that's all a few years ago now. Kole is currently a callup option in the Preds org, his brother's team. His game could be different now.

So were you saying that McCue's playmaking is poor? How is he on the cycle game? If he fits on a great cycle line then I could forgive weaker passing ability.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Thanks for this.

I also recall Kole Sherwood getting heavier and heavier each year. He got to the point where he could really rock guys with big hits. If he had an open wing he could fly down and rip it in. He really did have a good shot in open space. Just not very quick to find pockets of space, and his agility and first step either got worse as he got bigger or it just stagnated. He wasn't quick enough on the forecheck and not always smart.

Anyways that's all a few years ago now. Kole is currently a callup option in the Preds org, his brother's team. His game could be different now.

So were you saying that McCue's playmaking is poor? How is he on the cycle game? If he fits on a great cycle line then I could forgive weaker passing ability.
I wouldn't say McCue's playmaking is poor. He has pretty good vision and a decent amount of IQ. He is definitely worse than Sherwood at the same age in that regard though. I would say the main problem with his playmaking is his actual passing ability. His passes often are stuck in sticks or skates and not very accurate. He's still a decent enough playmaker though, and could easily get much better.

His cycle game is alright. He prefers to finish checks and his stickwork isn't amazing so he will often focus on that instead of trying to get the puck on the forecheck, but he protects the puck very well and is good at creating space and getting to the puck before his opponents because of his ability to keep opponents away after a check. He's reasonably decent at cycling the puck but his aforementioned passing issues sometimes come into play here. He is very good against the forecheck though as he is adept at shielding the puck and you usually only need one pass to break out.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

This is a great post, thank you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad