CHL/NCAA

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
NCAA hockey only makes a fraction of the money of Football or basketball. I’d be shocked if any hockey players even at quality programs were making any meaningful NIL money.
If you saw the vehicles they drive NIL is alive and well. They're not eating cheeseburgers and pizza anymore.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Jeff Merick just had another article today about this issue. Says the American side had formed a committee to review it. He says it is a matter of when not if it will happen.
Hopefully someone knows how to link that in here. Im not too techy for doing that.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
For the sake of argument, lets say the NCAA opens its doors to CHL players. I will use the Saginaw Spirit as an example.
Zayne Parekh will be a first round draft pick by some NHL team. Supposed that team would prefer that he play for some major NCAA powerhouse... the reason, playing against older competition. He leaves. The Spirit have lost a valuable asset that they might have traded off for future rebuilding picks. They are now at a total loss, both an active player gone and future considerations for said player lost. He may not go at 18, but what of the following year?

Reactions: frontsfan67

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
For the sake of argument, lets say the NCAA opens its doors to CHL players. I will use the Saginaw Spirit as an example.
Zayne Parekh will be a first round draft pick by some NHL team. Supposed that team would prefer that he play for some major NCAA powerhouse... the reason, playing against older competition. He leaves. The Spirit have lost a valuable asset that they might have traded off for future rebuilding picks. They are now at a total loss, both an active player gone and future considerations for said player lost. He may not go at 18, but what of the following year?

Entirely possible the OHL becomes a younger and weaker league with the trade off being more of the top ON 16-17 yr olds going to Kitchener and London; and more early round drafted US born reporting to US teams.
The OHL will need an agreement that allows its players AHL access at the same age as US and European players eventually. Ideally with the same 10 game limit as the NHL now.

Last edited:

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
This is the case that brought it all to a head.

Bill Buckton, Pete Marzo and Dick Decloe were all part of the case of Buckton vs NCAA. I was playing at the time and remember it well. Marzo was allowed to continue playing at BU, Buckton who only played 12 games with the Generals was declared ineligable as was Dick Decloe who played with London. It set a precident that those playing Tier 1 Junior Canadian hockey were considered professional.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI

Chl will remain a 16-19 year old league, oas only as kids with no ncaa aspersions. Ncaa will be 20-23 after players leave Chl. Ncaa is already this age for 90+% of players

Reactions: LDN and Smithsy

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Chl will remain a 16-19 year old league, oas only as kids with no ncaa aspersions. Ncaa will be 20-23 after players leave Chl. Ncaa is already this age for 90+% of players
Unless you are deemed ready to play... BU's Maklin Celebrini is 17 yo, turns 18 June 13th.
BC's Will Smith played at 18 yo, born March 17 2005.

Trust me, If available, Zayne Parekh now 18, born 2-15-2006, would be playing for ANY NCAA team he chose.

Reactions: dirty12 and LDN

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Unless you are deemed ready to play... BU's Maklin Celebrini is 17 yo, turns 18 June 13th.
BC's Will Smith played at 18 yo, born March 17 2005.

Trust me, If available, Zayne Parekh now 18, born 2-15-2006, would be playing for ANY NCAA team he chose.
any agreement would respect signed cards in theory, the ncaa doesnt want the celebrinis of the world to leave to go to the chl either, so there will be standard there. i would think the best 20 year olds would go to ncaa unless they have no interest in school, other then that i would think it would be all the same.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad