Player Discussion Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
No, the point you made doesn't make sense. If a guy is good enough to "help make a team better", why would 2 different coaching staffs not give him minutes that are more in line with the best defensemen on the team? The whole premise of your point doesn't make sense. You say "he has proven he could do really well in a bigger role" and yet 2 coaching staffs disagree with you.

I didn't reply to this yet but seems like @OD99 perfectly did

I'm not sure what was hard to understand. Everyone agrees that Brannstrom wouldn't play above Sanderson, Chabot, Chychrun and Zub, no matter who the coaching staff is. Brannstrom minutes/responsibility got elevated at times when someone was injured. Based on his overall stats of the last 2 seasons (long stretch), he did relatively well based on his role and salary, there's nothing more than that.

Your have absolutely no point but yet you pretend that mine "doesn't make sense"

I get that you like to write out these novellas for your own amusement but you're not actually presenting a real argument for the guy. Advanced stats missing context doesn't mean anything. The results are as such: he's a bottom pairing guy closer in minutes to what the AHL guys get than the top 4 guys get. It's been demonstrated over multiple seasons and, now, with multiple coaching staffs.

My post aren't even "novellas" or whatever that is, it's just posts filled with a lot of stats/facts. If you don't like them because it doesn't fit your narrative, it's your choice but don't try to take it away from people who do because they like to rely on rationality.

Your argument about "multiple coaching staffs" is so EMPTY but you have no idea why.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That’s just the expected value of a shot attempt, Hamonic is 50%. At least dig up some meaningful stats.

Expected goals is probably the most meaningful stat because it takes in consideration basically everything, from shot attempts, to shots that made their way to the goalie, to the quality of a scoring chance (distance, rebound or odd-men rush situations, etc.) and more

Expected goals (xG) is a model-based metric used to isolate the evaluation of play-driving and chance-creation/suppression ability from things a player cannot control such as bounces, quality of goaltender, etc

Expected goals shows you what you could expect over a long period of time. The variation with what actually happens is explained like how well the opponent goalie is playing, how opportunistic the shooters are, etc. That is why we gave up a lot more goals than expected this season, because our goalies didn't do their job well and we had an awful tendency of gifting goals on a silver platter in the DJ Smith era.

The whole game is basically reflected in expected goals and yet there is still some people who talk like this was not meaningful, time to get updated with the game.

Best xGF% in these playoffs : Stars, Avalanche, Panthers, Hurricanes, Oilers, Rangers.

It simply shows which teams have been "dominating" their series and it got translated in real results as well.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
This board seems pretty split on Brannstrom's value to the Ottawa blueline. Ultimately none of our opinions matter. It's up to Staios. We'll know what he thinks when Brannstrom is resigned or traded. Personally, I like Brann. We don't have enough depth to just let him go for a middling return.

When we have injuries next season, who are we callling up? Guennette? Larsson? My opinion, we should keep him at a modest cap hit. He may even take another step and become a valuable part of our core. There's still room for improvement.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Well folks, Erik and his stunning, bombshell fiance have officially moved out from our neighborhood. I spoke to his fiance whom I saw all the time on my dog walks as they have a dog as well, said they are leaving. it does not look like he is going to be in Ottawa next season. Really nice couple, going to miss the misses and her little pup.

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Well folks, Erik and his stunning, bombshell fiance have officially moved out from our neighborhood. I spoke to his fiance whom I saw all the time on my dog walks as they have a dog as well, said they are leaving. it does not look like he is going to be in Ottawa next season. Really nice couple, going to miss the misses and her little pup.
Hmmm. You wonder if he has been told that they will be looking to move him/not bring him back or if this is just him reading the writing on the wall. You would think that there is a fair bit of uncertainty with the Sens D going into the off-season. Seems almost like a given at this point that Chychrun will be traded and that they will be bringing in a RD either through trade or free agency.

With the emergence of Kleven, even with a Chychrun trade, that still pushes Bran down the depth chart. I think that he is the one LD that we have that can seamlessly switch over to RD but with Zub, JBD and then a new RD coming (?), I guess that still leaves him on the outside looking in.

I hope that he stays. I think he is a good skater and puck mover. Solid on the PP when given the opportunity. Can play LD & RD. Makes the best of his size and does play a bit of a physical game.
Always going to be limited by his size and I think he is probably going to be looking for a chance to play more somewhere else.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
It would be better for his career to move. A team like San Jose he could see bigger minutes and more PP time.

Build his value and game.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I can't see them qualifying him at 2M, and if he becomes an unrestricted free agent it doesn't make sense for him to stick around here.

He will get a 1 year deal somewhere, but I think his size is going to be what hurts his chances at sticking in the league, unless there is another expansion soon.

I don't think Brannstrom would appreciate you referring to him as a little pup.

• Haha
Reactions: DrEasy and Emerica

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Hmmm. You wonder if he has been told that they will be looking to move him/not bring him back or if this is just him reading the writing on the wall. You would think that there is a fair bit of uncertainty with the Sens D going into the off-season. Seems almost like a given at this point that Chychrun will be traded and that they will be bringing in a RD either through trade or free agency.

With the emergence of Kleven, even with a Chychrun trade, that still pushes Bran down the depth chart. I think that he is the one LD that we have that can seamlessly switch over to RD but with Zub, JBD and then a new RD coming (?), I guess that still leaves him on the outside looking in.

I hope that he stays. I think he is a good skater and puck mover. Solid on the PP when given the opportunity. Can play LD & RD. Makes the best of his size and does play a bit of a physical game.
Always going to be limited by his size and I think he is probably going to be looking for a chance to play more somewhere else.
With a Chychrun trade there's even more reason to keep Brannstrom, we need the depth and the versatility he provides. At $2M there's not much you can find out there who wants to come here and can replace him.

Reactions: bicboi64

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
With a Chychrun trade there's even more reason to keep Brannstrom, we need the depth and the versatility he provides. At $2M there's not much you can find out there who wants to come here and can replace him.

I disagree.

Teams can find 15-16 minute a night tweeners in droves during the off season and then will cost 1M or so.

He also isn't guaranteed to come in at 2M. He could potentially get an arbitration settlement that skews high, but not high enough to walk away from. That's a big reason why some players go unqualified. The logistics of it all are difficult to navigate for a team tight to the cap. They have to wait a month or so before they know how much cap be will use when they could just leave him unqualified and find a #6-7D for 1M on July 1st or via trade.

Someone will give him a 1 year contract based on pedigree but then he is probably out of the league unless there is expansion. He is a typical tweeners who is a superstar in every other pro league but his skating and size along with being developed on his offside in slower leagues have made it difficult for him to stick in the NHL.

If he was Eric Brandon of Moosejaw who was drafted in the 6th round out of the BCHL, people would not care. But because he is a Swedish little pup who was drafted high and came from a notorious trade, people have this sunk cost fallacy about letting him go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad