F James Hagens - USNTDP Juniors, USHL (2025 Draft)

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He's just anal, and was ultimately wrong. Sequence of events was a won faceoff, forward taps it back to a defenseman, the defenseman shoots the puck, a forward scores off the rebound. If the forward that taps it back was not the forward that scored, Button is right that the won faceoff is not an assist. Since Stiga both sent it back to the defenseman and scored the goal, with the chain never being broken by defensive possession, that means the won faceoff remains the second assist the same as if it was won directly to the defenseman. Button was focused on someone touching it back to the defenseman and apparently not sure on scoring rulings that Stiga touching it before it went to Hensler didn't break the Hagens second assist chain.

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Pretty shitty of Button to spend the entire 1st period railing about how his first assist shouldn't count and he hadn't yet tied the record because of it when it was very obviously an assist.

No problem, even if it didn't count he equaled the record and will probably add more points in the final.
It's unbelievable to think he still has a year left before he gets drafted, I think he's going to pulverize the NCAA.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
MY favorite player in all of hockey. Period. I found him /first saw him at one of those fall classics and Natty's (15 O). Loved his game. Still do. Can't wait to watch him progress.
First time I saw him at MSC in his 14U season, it was like who the hell is this kid. He was wheeling with the puck everywhere and completely controlling the game. That team was completely stacked too and he was by far the best player on the ice with Boisvert, Monteiro, Kiss, Felicio, Sisson and more. It’s wild that team didn’t succeed more than it did

Reactions: clevelandcane

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, it’s hard to not be a big fan of Hagens. Only problem I got with him is he’s an Isles fan.

He’d have a lot more points the last two seasons if he played with better players around him. Not that the NTDP ever has a team, but compared to what it is some years his NTDP age group is a little weaker.

At one point in this tournament he had points on 14 of the last 20 US goals. Hard to drive the offense much more than that.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I was impressed with Hagens. He's an exceptional talent oozing with skill.

Always making things happen and that's a great sign for a franchise-level prospect.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
The gold medal game did not diminish his accomplishments in this tournament what so ever. He played extremely well in the final game and could have had multiple points

He is an elite talent and will be an elite NHL player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You can say the same about Boston goalie, but Toronto fans don't see it as an excuse for their forwards' ineptitude.
The Toronto forwards didn’t set the playoff scoring record for the first round.

Yeah, I’ll cut anyone slack who does that, has a good final game (game 7/GMG), and only didn’t have a point or four because of random game to game puck luck.

And anyone who is blaming Matthews for this series is stupid anyway.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Hagens looks awesome. Well rounded player for this stage in his development. I like that his offence comes naturally and that he doesn't really rely on any single gimmick to create. Smart player.

It's hard to know how defensive play will translate other than that the players who don't care at all about defence in junior probably won't care in the NHL. I remember watching Bergeron in the QMJHL in 2003. He was smart and worked hard, but I didn't see a guy who would dominate defensively in the NHL for 15 years, and I can't imagine many others did either.
Ditto

Zero points in the final, and Americans lost the game. It doesn't look like a good sign. I call it marnerism.
Thank you Forrest Gump for that brilliant insight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad