WC: Finland 2024 roster talk

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
It's a good thing that Carolina managed to take a win last night, less ifs and buts on whether Aho would've been available. Jalonen's decision seems better and better the longer those Finnish star caliber players' playoff series will go.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
It's a good thing that Carolina managed to take a win last night, less ifs and buts on whether Aho would've been available. Jalonen's decision seems better and better the longer those Finnish star caliber players' playoff series will go.
I wouldn't even think about it tbh. It is what it is. There is no if's anyway since the team was locked and these are the guys who are playing. Better for the chemistry on the team anyway. Seems pointless to even look at the series to me at least.

Reactions: SantosHalper

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Lines vs. Norway:

Säteri (Larmi)

Määttä - Lehtonen
Vittasmäki - Kaski
Riikola - Saarijärvi
Mattila

Granlund - Helenius - Puustinen
Oksanen - Kapanen - Puljujärvi
Innala - Hyry - Jääskä
Mäenalanen - Björninen - Pakarinen
Jormakka

Rissanen sidelined with an unspecified injury he received in the game vs. GB.

If I have one complaint about this, it's that Puistola is still in the pressbox. At least he should be the 13th forward so that he could be subbed in if we go back to struggling with scoring and the team needs a wake-up call.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I think we have a problem with the top line. Granlund has been good but doesn't seem like we havbe good enough players to play with him.

Time to bech Puustinen. Jormakka was more visible than him and says enough. Helenius didn't do that well today either but than again he is 18 and given a role of a top line forward. It's hard to change a lot of things since 2nd and 3rd line have been great and even 4th line has done their job completely fine.

Maybe top line of

Puistola-Granlund-?

? - Jormakka/Helenius I guess

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Maybe top line of

Puistola-Granlund-?

? - Jormakka/Helenius I guess
Jääskä didn't look half bad today after Jalonen put him back up there, so the realistic expectation is that he sticks. But his role in the line is to be its complementing power forward, not Granlund's main offensive partner. One option would indeed to be just put Puistola up there. Another is promoting Innala (even though he hasn't been that effective either) while Puistola slots into the 3rd.

Puistola/Innala - Granlund - Jääskä
Puistola/Innala - Hyry - Jormakka

As an aside, I never fully saw what was so special about Helenius. He looked somewhat convincing early on the camp when were facing other countries' B squads (but the emphasis is still on "B" squads), and while he was solid in the U18s, he wasn't dominant by any means, which he IMO should have been if he was really ready to be a big contributor in a men's WHC. Regardless, I figured that since he made it to the final team, he would prove me wrong soon enough. But so far he hasn't done it. I mean, he's been okay-ish, but given how highly touted he was, you'd expect more from him - especially against opponents that are clearly a step below us.

Last edited:
Reactions: FinPanda

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Lines vs. Norway:

Granlund - Helenius - Puustinen
Innala - Hyry - Jääskä
Jormakka

Rissanen sidelined with an unspecified injury he received in the game vs. GB.

If I have one complaint about this, it's that Puistola is still in the pressbox. At least he should be the 13th forward so that he could be subbed in if we go back to struggling with scoring and the team needs a wake-up call.

Jalonen sure loves to sideline the Jukurit guys, one after another, but since he chose this path, he should trust what he got and give Puistola a bigger chance. He didn't look amazing in the first game, but this is one of his selections. Of the 3 Jukurit guys, in my opinion Puistola was the most obvious selection, while Jormakka was the surprise selection. Puistola was obvious because he was scoring goals so well. It was hard to leave him out of the team, because we were in need of a goal scorer.

About Helenius I've had mixed feelings all the time. On the other hand I want to see if he can do something special in this tournament and at this level, but on the other hand I've never been as hyped about him being in this tournament as I was for Kakko's first WHC tournament or let's say from years ago MiG's first tournament. Helenius however is one of the most interesting things in this rather boring selections of a team.

I agree that his performance in the U18 tournament was mostly good when the teams weren't top teams. It did surprise me how fast Jalonen called him back to the WHC squad after the U18 tournament ended, hence it feels like Jalonen surely is a big time Helenius believer.

On a similar topic, I'm face palming every time Mertaranta over hypes Oliver Kapanen, because it only matters if he scores goals vs top teams, but okay that's Mertaranta's job and style to over hype something, but it really doesn't matter if you score 5 goals when the opposition is GBR & NOR. It's probably back to reality against CAN & SUI. I hope I'm proven wrong on that.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I know that the fourt line is pretty much sacred to Jalonen, but part of me would like to maybe see even Pakarinen with Puistola and Granlund in first line.

I liked what Innala brought to third line. Not that I´m huge fan of him or that he played amazing game. But I like that he bring more offensive touch to it.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Our group sure got interesting after SUI beat CZE on SO. Canada's interesting game schedule keeps them mysterious until the Finland game, because their 3 last games are FIN, (back to back) SUI and then CZE. Surely though, they must be good with that kind of names in their team.

Reactions: FinPanda

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Of the 3 Jukurit guys, in my opinion Puistola was the most obvious selection, while Jormakka was the surprise selection.
There was hardly anything surprising about Jormakka. Since he kept surviving one round of cuts after another, it was easy to guess that he was going to make it, even if it was not obvious why. Like I said earlier, he's one of those players who just seem enamor coaches for whatever reason.

About Helenius I've had mixed feelings all the time. On the other hand I want to see if he can do something special in this tournament and at this level, but on the other hand I've never been as hyped about him being in this tournament as I was for Kakko's first WHC tournament or let's say from years ago MiG's first tournament.
Over the last decade, three players have made it to the WHC squad in their draft year - Helenius, Kakko and Patrik Laine. What sets the two latter apart from Helenius is that in the year they featured they were leading players in their Liiga teams that season, racking a PPG average or very close. (With Laine being a key factor in a championship run.) While no one should call Helenius an useless scrub in the Jukurit lineup, he didn't quite reach the same level.

Although, one thing he's got riding for him over these others is that whereas the other three were wingers, he's been constantly playing center - which is rather impressive for a 17-year-old. I remember when in 2021 the team featured Anton Lundell, whom Jalonen initially placed on wing because he thought Lundell wasn't mature enough to handle center duties. But he decided to give it a shot anyway after his initial lineup didn't quite click, and Lundell pretty quickly proved him wrong. In fact, I can see Lundell's example directly contributing to Jalonen's decision to invite Helenius.

Helenius however is one of the most interesting things in this rather boring selections of a team.
It's a team that, save an exception or two, features the best selection available, including 10 first-timers - and most of those first-timers are not even of the kind who have been around the EHT block a thousand times and only made it now because they were the bottom of the barrel after all the better options declined. A fair handful of those guys were still U20 eligible a couple of years ago.

We've been clamoring for a rebuild for a couple of years now, and now that we've finally got it... the team is still "boring". Sheesh, tough crowd. What would you consider exciting? One half being top-shelf NHLers with the other half being U18 eligibles?

Last edited:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I mean this is NHL/prospect forum so I would make a guess lot would hope to see prospect with high(ish) expectacion as NHL players like Kemell, Lambert, Koivunen...

I prefer this "NT team building" aspect. And it is nice to see ofcourse youngish players like Hyry and Jääskä with not that traditional road to trying to get to NHL.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Over the last decade, three players have made it to the WHC squad in their draft year - Helenius, Kakko and Patrik Laine. What sets the two latter apart from Helenius is that in the year they featured they were leading players in their Liiga teams that season, racking a PPG average or very close. (With Laine being a key factor in a championship run.) While no one should call Helenius an useless scrub in the Jukurit lineup, he didn't quite reach the same level.

Although, one thing he's got riding for him over these others is that whereas the other three were wingers, he's been constantly playing center - which is rather impressive for a 17-year-old. I remember when in 2021 the team featured Anton Lundell, whom Jalonen initially placed on wing because he thought Lundell wasn't mature enough to handle center duties. But he decided to give it a shot anyway after his initial lineup didn't quite click, and Lundell pretty quickly proved him wrong. In fact, I can see Lundell's example directly contributing to Jalonen's decision to invite Helenius.

We've been clamoring for a rebuild for a couple of years now, and now that we've finally got it... the team is still "boring". Sheesh, tough crowd. What would you consider exciting? One half being top-shelf NHLers with the other half being U18 eligibles?

Just more legit NHLers is what I want to have. Määttä and Granlund are such and that's it. Puustinen might have made a breakthrough as a permanent NHL player and Puljujärvi probably returns to Europe in few years, but I can't complain if once again Jalonen can do some magical thing in this tournament with this roster.

Anton Lundell is a decent comparison indeed, although a bit older than Helenius when he first featured in the WHC.

I did remember the case Laine and his first and I think only WHC tournament, where Gary Jalonen's team got silver, but I can't remember why I didn't bring his name up. Perhaps it's because Laine's selection to the WHC team was so obvious, even more than Kakko's selection was, while Helenius' selection wasn't obvious.

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
My Predicton vs GB 1:0 (0:0, 0:0,1:0).

Let's bring this topic back alive. Our team has scored 0 goals vs a top team, Austria has scored 11 goals in two games against two top teams, which makes an average of 5.5 goals vs top team per game. We will play Austria next, so I wonder what's going to happen with that? (Other stats don't matter, so I'll just ignore them ;).)

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Lines at practice:

Innala - Granlund - Puustinen
Puistola - Hyry - Jääskä

Määttä - Lehtonen
Rissanen - Kaski
Riikola - Saarijärvi
Vittasmäki - Mattila

Puustinen keeps getting rope. Also, that retooled first unit seriously lacks size. But at least Puistola seems to be finally getting his chance, so overall lookin' decent.

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Kaski seems impressive in seeing the highlights. Is there something in terms of potential or is he merely this year's version of Tony Sund?

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Helenius was probably benched because he played too long shifts and he was maybe thinking more about himself than the team and that doesn't really work on Jalonen's teams when everyone plays for the team.

I don't understand Puustinen still on the top line, but I guess we'll see how it goes in the Austria game. If the 1st line still doesn't work, just bench him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad