Confirmed with Link: Flames acquire Nikita Okhotiuk from San Jose for a 5th in 2024

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Any chance he gets paired with Kylington at some point? They’ve make a very OK pair.
boo-this-man-stoic-glasses-guy-thumbs-down-fquf97qeizaekdfx.gif

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Poor trade by Conroy. Wasted a 5th that could be used on a goalie or Russian dark horse pick. He learned this from Treliving’s playbook - trading picks for useless depth players. Soloyov, Kuznetsov, Lyle, etc. are all guys that could have been used in the NHL down the stretch instead of wasting the pick. Hopefully he learns from this.

Reactions: Master Bill

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Poor trade by Conroy. Wasted a 5th that could be used on a goalie or Russian dark horse pick. He learned this from Treliving’s playbook - trading picks for useless depth players. Soloyov, Kuznetsov, Lyle, etc. are all guys that could have been used in the NHL down the stretch instead of wasting the pick. Hopefully he learns from this.

He's still a Flames player, to be clear.

It's not terrible for him to continue his development in the KHL where there won't be waiver considerations or needing to find playing time for other prospects to worry about.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Earlier in the week I read that Brady Lyle also signed overseas for next year.
Maybe there will be room for Jurmo afterall

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Meh, still Flames property, so it’s not like we wasted a pick for 10 games of the guy.

Given the Hanley claim, Miromanov and Okhotiuk trades, Solovyov, Kuznetsov, Grushnikov in the AHL, and Pachal, this trade was always a bit weird considering the number of 5/6/7 D we either have, or project to have.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Probably shouldn't have sat him in 60% of the games we played after his acquisition. Not sure I really blame the guy here.

That shows to me there was a slight disconnect between the front office and coaching staff.

It is what it is. Don't like wasting picks regardless of the round though.

Reactions: Fig

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Probably shouldn't have sat him in 60% of the games we played after his acquisition. Not sure I really blame the guy here.

That shows to me there was a slight disconnect between the front office and coaching staff.

It is what it is. Don't like wasting picks regardless of the round though.
He was probably going back to Russia and had told the sharks anyways which is probably why the talent deficient Sharks would have traded a 23 YO dman for a 5th.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

I don't think it's completely the same as a pick for a rental depth player move.

We get to keep him. He's still young, he's a recent ish second round pick who was moving around and perhaps just needs stability to develop. We don't lose his rights after this season, we got games out of him this season. We needed warm bodies to address us moving 3 top 4 regular season dmen, Kylington we weren't sure on his status and we were going to run 5/6/7 calibre dmen in D position 4-6. I think he also has familiarity with Sharangovich.

I think the Hanley and Pachal claims were more like bonus lucky moves. We pick up a group of 5/6/7 calibre dudes like this and then just let them all showcase for the rest of the season to see who we keep while this group of newbies to the org also working together as a group in filling a major void on the back end.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Whoever Conroy used for pro scouting didn’t leave with Treliving

Bad news

This guy was so bad

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Man, this guy hasn't been in Russia in almost a decade, strange that he'd go back now.
I guess Calgary didn't give him any inclination that they'd sign him, or do something more than AHL/NHL guy with him.

May as well go back to Russia, make probably a bit better money than the AHL and get some minutes playing against pros. Dunno.

This was a bit of a weird trade from the onset with how many 6/7/8 guys this team already had.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I still like the trade. Qualify him. Let him play a bigger role in the KHL for the year. If he's looking good over there and improves we can bring him back. His potential outcome is still much better than a random 5th.
Agreed. This could be a best case scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad