HF Habs: Flames or Panthers 1st Round Pick 2025

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Unfortunately it's looking like Florida's 20 or 30 something 2025 pick unless the Flames can land the 11th through 20th range pick.
It's all speculative... But I'd consider the odds pretty good that the Flames land in that range.

They won't go full rebuild for several reasons (owner, new building starting construction, misplaced optimism, heavy cap veteran roster etc.), but they don't have the in-house talent nor prospect/pick capital nor cap room to significantly improve on last year's results...

Mid tier team is a pretty good bet barring some shocking offseason moves

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Hopefully Florida making the Stanley Cup Finals two years in a row exhausts them for next year. If they win the cup, maybe it also lowers their motivation. Fingers crossed!
I was actually debating in my mind , are we better off if they finally win it ? Or if They again lose in a final ?? Would that disappointment be too much to bounce back from ? Or a hangover of a win being better ?

Reactions: rahad

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I was actually debating in my mind , are we better off if they finally win it ? Or if They again lose in a final ?? Would that disappointment be too much to bounce back from ? Or a hangover of a win being better ?
I wonder if the final result will make a difference to what they do in the off season and who they let go.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I think what facilitated a rebuild here is Weber and Price LTIRetiring. Rebuilding with Huberdeau, Kadri, Weegar, Rasmus Andersson, Markstrom, Backlund, Coleman, Kuzmenko, Magiapane and Sharangovich all under contract for next season will be a hard sell to fans imo. I could see them trying to retool on the fly.
Didn't the owner stop the GM from trading Markstrom?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It's all speculative... But I'd consider the odds pretty good that the Flames land in that range.

They won't go full rebuild for several reasons (owner, new building starting construction, misplaced optimism, heavy cap veteran roster etc.), but they don't have the in-house talent nor prospect/pick capital nor cap room to significantly improve on last year's results...

Mid tier team is a pretty good bet barring some shocking offseason moves

I'll be very interested to follow the Flames's offseason. To rebuild or not to rebuild, that will be their question. I think knowing they won't have a 1st if they don't finish bottom 10 would factor into their decision.
But rumors are they're interested in Necas. If we don't land him. I hope they do.

Reactions: atrud66

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
All those conditions too complicated for me. I originally said I would made the deal for Flames '24 pick. Back then sounded crazy as Flames were good team. Be sweet if we had 9th pick now.

Reactions: Sagikev

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
By the bottom I meant bottom 10, bottom 5, bottom 3. Whatever number you want to pit on it, it may be hard to finish dead last. But you can finish bottom 10 if you're a GM and you want to.

Bottom 3 is quite predictable if you want to do it. Sharks are about to improve a lot with Will Smith, Celebrini and Bystedt arriving. Chicago will still be there. We are leaving that phase, I think the Sens are also. Buffalo is no longer at the bottom. It's time for new tankers. Teams will get in position for McKenna, Roobroeck, Bjorck in 2026 and 2027 (Dupont, Joseph, Jacobson) looks like a good draft. Islanders might be another team looking at this.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAChampion

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
To Edmonton or Vancouver. But Calgary got really close to trading him to New Jersey before NJ backed away because Calgary kept upping the ask, apparently.
NJD apparently wanted Cgy to eat some AAV, which led to a stalemate

It's going to really interesting to see what Calgary do. They have a lot of depth in goal and up front right now, if no stars.

Huberdeau kadri Kuzmenko
Sharangovich Zary Coleman
Prospisil Backlund Mangiapani
Pelletier

Then in goal:
Beckstrom
Wolf

On defense they have a good top 2 in Weeher amd Anderson. It will be interesting to see how they fill put the dcore. That will go a long way to seeing how their roster looks. I wonder if they're interested in Barron, Struble, or Harris?

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
A brutal 0-4 lost will probably kill all motivation for the next season. Also making back to back final is not easy. There body must be injure. It will be great if both team miss the playoff.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Hopefully Buffalo, Detroit and Ottawa all finally put it together and Florida misses the playoffs. That would give the Habs the Calgary pick.
Florida missing the playoffs doesn't really do anything for the Habs unless Calgary finishes bottom 10. If Calgary is worse than Florida but not top 10 Habs get Calgary's pick.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Bottom 3 is quite predictable if you want to do it. Sharks are about to improve a lot with Will Smith, Celebrini and Bystedt arriving. Chicago will still be there. We are leaving that phase, I think the Sens are also. Buffalo is no longer at the bottom. It's time for new tankers. Teams will get in position for McKenna, Roobroeck, Bjorck in 2026 and 2027 (Dupont, Joseph, Jacobson) looks like a good draft. Islanders might be another team looking at this.
I can’t see the Isles tanking with Roy as coach. But I would look at teams like the Wild and the Caps dropping

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
CGY is a bottom 10 team next year. Dont get your hopes up.
Just pray Fla loses some UFAs and has fatigue cause that’s the pick we are getting.
Even then Zito probably pulls some more rabbits out of his hat.
Agree on the flames, they lost a top 6 center and half of their defense and will have a hard time to add UFAs.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
It's going to really interesting to see what Calgary do. They have a lot of depth in goal and up front right now, if no stars.

Huberdeau kadri Kuzmenko
Pelletier

Then in goal:
Beckstrom
Wolf

On defense they have a good top 2 in Weeher amd Anderson. It will be interesting to see how they fill put the dcore. That will go a long way to seeing how their roster looks. I wonder if they're interested in Barron, Struble, or Harris?
I would do this year Winnipeg 1st + their next year 1st for this year's 9th... i'd even add Strubble if needed... having 5 and 9 this year would be craazy... but they'll hold on to 9th hoping for Iginla... unless we tell em we take Igginla with the 5th... then Sennecke with the 9th... i'd be thrilled.

Reactions: 26Mats

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Roy might been sold on a rebuild as GM potentially. That team is severely lacking talent from top to bottom. Can see the Caps as well, Wild already kinda retooled, but yeah could fall further.
Caps look bad but the farm team is dominating the AHL so there has to be some depht there.

Reactions: Runner77

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Roy might been sold on a rebuild as GM potentially. That team is severely lacking talent from top to bottom. Can see the Caps as well, Wild already kinda retooled, but yeah could fall further.
I agree Roy may have wanted the challenge of a retool in his image. Remains to be seen. Another team I don’t know what direction they’ll take is Philly. So many question marks. Guys that are still young but vets- will they take the next step? Will Torts get another full season? Michkov?Tough to get a feel.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Florida missing the playoffs doesn't really do anything for the Habs unless Calgary finishes bottom 10. If Calgary is worse than Florida but not top 10 Habs get Calgary's pick.
Florida missing the playoffs means that Calgary won't have Florida's 2025 draft pick, and so the Habs will have Calgary's draft pick unless it's first overall...

Much better scenario for the Habs.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Huberdeau kadri Kuzmenko
Pelletier

Then in goal:
Beckstrom
Wolf

Yeah, Calgary is on the cusp of being either really bad, which is how they finished the season, or really mediocre, where they're not good enough to get into playoffs or bad enough to fall into top 10. The latter is our preference.

It'll be interesting to see if they try to improve their D this year to have a better year, or go into a one to two year re-tool.

Reactions: atrud66

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

The likely best outcome for the Habs would be if the Flames don't get the panthers 1st next summer no matter how. If that happens then we get the Flames pick in '25 unless they win 1st OA at the lottery and the pick would move to '26 but would be the better of either Flames or panthers pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad