Former Canucks Thread 2023-24 Edition

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This has me deeply concerned.

I appreciate the insight
I wish I could offer anything to assure you that he'll be okay as your head coach but the sad truth is he'll likely be one of the five worst coaches in the NHL. He wasn't good at the AHL level and players have consistently voiced that they weren't sure what he needed from them.

Reactions: DJB

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Completely different but why the f*** did we never give Brogan Rafferty a chance? I didn’t really watch hockey for the entirety of the 2020-2021 covid season so I’m assuming he was part of the taxi squad back then but he was one of our better college signings and just was never given a shot it seems like. He was great in Utica.

The reason why I even remembered him was I accidentally called Lafferty “Rafferty” in my head and recalled the name.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

newport eh?

1715463311748.gif

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Completely different but why the f*** did we never give Brogan Rafferty a chance? I didn’t really watch hockey for the entirety of the 2020-2021 covid season so I’m assuming he was part of the taxi squad back then but he was one of our better college signings and just was never given a shot it seems like. He was great in Utica.

The reason why I even remembered him was I accidentally called Lafferty “Rafferty” in my head and recalled the name.
He apparently couldn’t defend

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023

He had a lazy eye and lazier legs. He also had male pattern baldness.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Jim Benning got the names confused with Jim Cafferty & didn't think much his band:

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Maybe Jim Benning thought he was signing the other Brogran Rafferty. Killer instinct and all.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

I appreciate the insight

He's not someone that should be in a head coaching position.

Younger players have fared better away from him, the Canucks were comically bad under him, his stint as HC for Team Canada was horrid and then there was Jersey.

That's without going into his shit with the Leafs when he was an active player.

Reactions: racerjoe and DJB

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I appreciate the insight

Greens' overarching philosophy is to outwork the other team. He does let his star players play the way they want to but as you have read here, he likes his grinders and young players can struggle because they're bound to make mistakes. You can call it "tough love" and he does spend time with players but the results haven't been there. He doesn't know implement a system where players support each other.

Oh and you better hope he doesn't hire Nolan Baumgartner. Green is going to let him run the defence and PK regardless of the results. That was one of the failings of Green. He chose to surround himself with his buddies. As a rookie coach he should have brought in a veteran to help him or lean on one. His last season here, his staff was what he had in Utica (Baumgartner and King). His buddy from Portland was also added to the staff. Meanwhile a coach like Brad Shaw who came with D and PK pedigree was kind of relegated to the sidelines.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Greens' overarching philosophy is to outwork the other team. He does let his star players play the way they want to but as you have read here, he likes his grinders and young players can struggle because they're bound to make mistakes. You can call it "tough love" and he does spend time with players but the results haven't been there. He doesn't know implement a system where players support each other.

Oh and you better hope he doesn't hire Nolan Baumgartner. Green is going to let him run the defence and PK regardless of the results. That was one of the failings of Green. He chose to surround himself with his buddies. As a rookie coach he should have brought in a veteran to help him or lean on one. His last season here, his staff was what he had in Utica (Baumgartner and King). His buddy from Portland was also added to the staff. Meanwhile a coach like Brad Shaw who came with D and PK pedigree was kind of relegated to the sidelines.

Thanks and I appreciate the insight.

Honestly from all the comments I’ve read in here and over in NJ he sounds like a carbon copy of DJ Smith. 🤮

Reactions: racerjoe

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Honestly from all the comments I’ve read in here and over in NJ he sounds like a carbon copy of DJ Smith. 🤮

I don't know much about DJ Smith but unlike some here, I think Green is well liked. But when he was here his pedigree was that of a former NHL player who has experience playing multiple roles and over 1000 NHL games (including playoffs) while finding success as a coach at the WHL and AHL level. There's some instant respect there. That's a big different from failing as an NHL coach in Vancouver and in NJ.

Like I said, Green will spend time with his players. In the short term, players will feel that there is plenty of communication between coach and player. In the long run? Without success it would be hard to listen to Green and trust him.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

One thing to keep in mind re: the 'success in the WHL/AHL', is that he was replacing a suspended coach in Portland and the Utica Comets more or less fell off a cliff while he was there. Part of that was on management doing a horrendous job of having solid players in the pipeline, but part of that was also on Green.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008

Yeah Green is a nice guy and all but a poor NHL coach.

I think the Sens had a few better options available like Evanson or McLellan but we'll have to see

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley

But know this
He is a really nice guy and
He was a great player

He benefited from incompetent management that covered for his abilties.

That said, he took the Canucks to the Conference final during the Bubble Cup when we should have been disqualified on a technicality (we had more wins but lost the tie break because they weren't regulation wins). Nevertheless, Bettman allowed 24 teams in and we were a wild card.
We won the first two rounds with Markstrom (we swept the defending Stanley Cup champions the Blues in the first round) but when things got tough against Las Vegas in the Conference Finals, Green put Demko in and changed the tactic to Turtle. He made Demko look like Partick Roy and gave Vegas such a hard time that they had nothing left in the tank for the finals.
He made Demko look like a star and he became one - Bubble Demko he's now called. Demmer was a fantastic backup but couldn't play many games before he would start to panic. He's obviously over that now and that playoff run put him over the hoop. We had two star goalies so one became expendable. (one can't say enough about goalie coach Iain McIntyre of course but it was Green who got that team to change styles when it mattered - and teams can't do that without practice and a coach that manages it all).

That playoff run was all because of Green - he had a plan with the players he had and he was miraculously given a chance to prove himself when it mattered. The team was blown up after that and the players were given the opportunity to walk thanks to management and ownership - the payroll was way too high, they overpaid and most signed as UFA in Calgary when management didn't pursue them (Chris Tanev will possibly come back next season).

That said, after he was let go, a Canadian team of beer leaguers coached by him couldn't win a game at the Spengler Cup - a first in that tournament's history.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Yeah Green is a nice guy and all but a poor NHL coach.

I think the Sens had a few better options available like Evanson or McLellan but we'll have to see
I always got the feeling that green was an asshole

Reactions: MS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad