Rumor: Habs interested in Maxim Tsyplakov (upd: signed with the Islanders)

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
can't say I ever heard of him before this year, but this is why you need scouts that know what they are doing, in his first 4 years in the KHL he scored 22 goals in 147 games a rate of .15 per game, in his last 2 years (the KHL increased games played the past 2 years to 68 from 62) he's scored 41 in 128 games which is a .32 goals per game rate, more then double. So what happened the last 2 years would be my question.

He played 1 game with Kostenko in the VHL 2 years back.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
According to CapFriendly the Leafs are currently at the max of 50 contracts so would they have to first move out a contract to be able to even sign this guy. I suspect though that since the contract would be for next season it won't count towards a teams contract limit until after July 1st.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
It would be added to next years contract limit and Toronto has 18 vacancies and Montreal has 12. So yeah plenty of room as the only UFA/RFA we really need to re-sign is Xhekaj.
He would at least come with some pro experience so I say he is worth a shot.

Reactions: Tyson and sheed36

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
From the main board. Interesting that he is a natural C.
The thing about Tsyplakov is, he’s an inside out, natural C. If you watch him play, he gets his nose dirty, with and without the puck. He will drive through traffic, and he can create space in that traffic. Most natural Russian wingers don’t anymore, because they’re more systems oriented players.

He’s not that type of player though. Likely because he is a natural C, who grew up and developed as a C. He also uses his size to separate himself, which allows him to create a little space outside. He’s a little weaker in transition than some of the more skilled wingers from Russia, but he looks like he may have some NHL game to him. We’ll find out it seems.

His best bet is likely with the Isles or Detroit, if it’s only those teams. Both would be able to give him his second contract more easily. He’s not gonna want to come over and play his ELC and immediately switch teams after a year.

My guess is, he’s gonna have more than a handful of teams interested in him though. The only concern I’d have, is getting his shot off quick enough. He does telegraph it. Not so sure it’s quick enough, but he’s skilled enough, and plays a 200’ game, that he can probably be (at least) a secondary scorer in the league, playing on a 3rd line. Might take him a year to get used to the speed of the game here, but he’s gonna get a chance, if he wants it, and because of that 200’ game, he might last awhile.

Just like all of the KHL players though, we just won’t know until he gets over here.

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
Well just looking at that video of all the goals he has scored .Colin White and company are far better than he is. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:. He certainly has an eye for the back of the net.Looks a bit slow but then again every player in that video looks slow

• Haha
Reactions: nicehiss

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
It's crazy the amount of our fans who don't get we have no room. We need to create room not the opposite.

Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
Newhook-Dach-Roy

This is already 6 spots reserved for kids who imo project as solid top 9 NHL player. On top of that we have a bunch of interesting prospects who will make their AHL debut next season in Beck, Mesar, Tuch. Kapanen and Xhekaj will likely follow the season after.

On top of that we will likely draft a forward with our 5th overall pick this summer. We are kind of stuck with Anderson and Gallagher for now. So total that 6 spots reserved for the kids listed above. One spot probably reserved for our 5th overall and two spots reserved for Anderson and Gallagher. So that's 9 already.

If we can land an elite player at the beginning of his prime (26) then fine we'll make room for him but we don't have the room for gamble like Maxim Tsyplakov it would be a waste of time for no reason. Unless KH is 100% convinced this guy is a late bloomer and will become someone he should pass.

It is always good to add assets at the right price. Bad organizations hold spots for prospects and good organizations create as much internal competition as possible and keep the players who rise to the top and trade the one's who are expendable. If none of the kids are good enough to beat out a recent signing then so be it. They need to earn their spot.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
According to CapFriendly the Leafs are currently at the max of 50 contracts so would they have to first move out a contract to be able to even sign this guy. I suspect though that since the contract would be for next season it won't count towards a teams contract limit until after July 1st.
The contract wouldn't start until July 1st, so they'd have the spots.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Yup…really won’t know till he hits the ice in North America, so claims that he can become Sekac well no shit he can become that, he can become all kinds of players…..does that mean now we won’t draft Demidov if he’s available because he can become Petrov?

Your argument was good until you brought up Petrov/Demidov.

Petrov was a 6th round pick while Demidov could go 2nd overall.

Weird comparison.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Yup…really won’t know till he hits the ice in North America, so claims that he can become Sekac well no shit he can become that, he can become all kinds of players…..does that mean now we won’t draft Demidov if he’s available because he can become Petrov?
There’s literally no risk in us going after a player like this unless the contract is ridiculous.

Reactions: cphabs and jaffy27

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
I think if our management is serious about bringing him over, our offer would be pretty strong.

With his age he'll fit in with the core, and where we're at in the rebuild he won't have too much pressure to hit the ground running. There will be some breathing room for him to adjust to life and hockey in North America.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Not sure how that works but my guess is they would have to wait until after July 1st.

I think if our management is serious about bringing him over, our offer would be pretty strong.

With his age he'll fit in with the core, and where we're at in the rebuild he won't have too much pressure to hit the ground running. There will be some breathing room for him to adjust to life and hockey in North America.

Does anybody know any real good context into who he is and what kind of player he is?

Power forward type or skilled/soft type?
How is his shot?
How is his skating?

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Not sure how that works but my guess is they would have to wait until after July 1st.

Does anybody know any real good context into who he is and what kind of player he is?

How is his shot?
How is his skating?
Can you name me 10 players coming from the KHL who qualified as "Power Forward" in the last decade?

I'm sure there were exceptions, but I don't think it's how the game is played in the KHL.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

How is his shot?
How is his skating?

According to this, plays with an edge without getting many PIM.

Not a speedster, but good enough skater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad