Post-Game Talk: Horrifying Act of Violence

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
When we played Carolina in the play-in in Covid year one.....we'd just moved Skjei to the Canes and about the first thing that happened practically the first shift of the game was Skjei freight trained Fast and knocked him out of the series. Skjei's a big guy but that's about the hardest I've seen him hit anybody. In 2022 we knocked the Canes out in 7. The big hit in that series was Trouba on Jarvis. This year we saw Fast run at Chytil and that's where Filip's concussion issues come from this year. That's about the hardest I've ever seen Fast hit anyone too. I kind of think we owe them one.

I don't look at the Canes as a particularly tough team. They have some big guys and they can be sneaky belligerent though.

On whether to play Chytil I'll leave that up to the coaching staff. I wouldn't necessarily be pulling Rempe out of the lineup though. If he's knocking around their D the Canes won't have much of an answer for it. Brendan Lemieux's their toughest guy and they don't like to play him. I'm not that worried about Rempe only getting 6 minutes a night. The Rangers will be rested and they tend to find spots to give Panarin and Trocheck extra ice time.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Also, in Ovi's defense, he was up against the best.

I have to give Laviolette a ton of credit. He absolutely spammed Adam Fox when Ovechkin was on the ice. I criticized him for having Trouba and/or Miller be the matchup guy all season but he made Fox the matchup guy in our first series like people said he would. @McRanger92 was one of a few who mentioned it. He was right, I was wrong.

Fox laid that poor old man to rest. When they shared the ice, the Caps scored 1 goal on 4 high-danger chances. They had 4 good looks in 4 games. When Fox wasn't out there, he had an xGF% close to 70%.

People talk about Fox having an underwhelming series offensively but he was busy shutting down the shit out of the best goal-scorer of all-time. He had 31 goals and 65 points this year, and was red hot the second half. He's not nothing.

Saving Fox for the playoffs, my friend :)

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
When we played Carolina in the play-in in Covid year one.....we'd just moved Skjei to the Canes and about the first thing that happened practically the first shift of the game was Skjei freight trained Fast and knocked him out of the series. Skjei's a big guy but that's about the hardest I've seen him hit anybody. In 2022 we knocked the Canes out in 7. The big hit in that series was Trouba on Jarvis. This year we saw Fast run at Chytil and that's where Filip's concussion issues come from this year. That's about the hardest I've ever seen Fast hit anyone too. I kind of think we owe them one.

I don't look at the Canes as a particularly tough team. They have some big guys and they can be sneaky belligerent though.

On whether to play Chytil I'll leave that up to the coaching staff. I wouldn't necessarily be pulling Rempe out of the lineup though. If he's knocking around their D the Canes won't have much of an answer for it. Brendan Lemieux's their toughest guy and they don't like to play him. I'm not that worried about Rempe only getting 6 minutes a night. The Rangers will be rested and they tend to find spots to give Panarin and Trocheck extra ice time.
Aho is owned an ass kicking.

I'll settle for him getting Trouba'd/Rempe'd

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
couple good thoughts here
Saving Fox for the playoffs, my friend :)
i think a couple of guys saved for the playoffs. Mika, Fox (also injured), and quick spelled igor a bunch.

it's crazy but even though he's profiled as a smaller offense only defenseman, his greatest value to nyr 5v5 is probably on the defensive end. he's that good.

it's an interesting thought - they have no answer for rempe, but i worry about how much he'd give back in our zone

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
The thing is that this top shelf perform by Andersen is not a given (or less likely) to count on compared to Shesterkin. Yeah, it’s possible that he outplays our Russian (and if that’s the case then Canes will most likely advance) but smart money would be on the other side.
No doubt Shesty is on his game in the playoffs. But then the Caps couldn't capitalize on our mistakes. The Canes will be a different story. We will need to be much better in front of Shesty next series. I think Andersen is the wild card. We haven't faced him in 6 months, since early November in a 2-1 victory.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
couple good thoughts here

i think a couple of guys saved for the playoffs. Mika, Fox (also injured), and quick spelled igor a bunch.

it's crazy but even though he's profiled as a smaller offense only defenseman, his greatest value to nyr 5v5 is probably on the defensive end. he's that good.

it's an interesting thought - they have no answer for rempe, but i worry about how much he'd give back in our zone
you also have to worry about the refs targeting every Rempe hit to control the game and putting Carolina on the PP.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

Regarding chytil, I just don’t like the idea of waiting to the middle/end of a series to get him in.
If we don’t see in in games 1 or 2, it’s very likely we don’t see him for the entirety of the series.
Main issues are
-Roslovic Is currently on one of his streaks where he’s contributing instead of being invisible. (As most CBJ fans say)
-Rempe absolutely has an effect on the game, even if he only plays 6 min, his ability to get the crowed juiced up, hit/forechek/Fight if need be is valuable. A big hit can shift momentum very quickly
-Wennberg is playing solid D from a Center aspect, even though he doesn’t contribute much offensively, he still has the ability to set up a line mate or pop in a goal….

Who comes out? And why do they come out?
And after that, what do new line combos look like?

I think everyone is going to have a diff version of what Lavi should/could do……
If chytil is looking beast like, he absolutely makes this team a hell of a lot more offensively dangerous

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Carolina took out both Fox and Chytil with injuries this year with their inadvertent interference crap they do with Brindamour's system

The series is gonna go 6 or 7, but I think the Rangers physicality will play a role as the series goes on

Reactions: egelband and Cmox

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
you also have to worry about the refs targeting every Rempe hit to control the game and putting Carolina on the PP.
I think this is over now. Each game the refs are starting to understand that hitting hard is not a penalty. The more Rempe plays and is not a dick between whistles - for example he doesn't mess with the opposing goalie, he doesn't facewash after every stoppage and he doesn't throw punches during play like wilson - the less likely he is to get phantom called.

I fully expect Trouba and Rempe to get some serious hits in, carolina are a bunch of weasels with a professional acting coach on their permanent staff, most of their players have SAG cards, and they work with David Boudia in the offseason to perfect their form. They are going to get calls so make them pay for it with a dangerous, punishing game.

Reactions: egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Regarding chytil, I just don’t like the idea of waiting to the middle/end of a series to get him in.
If we don’t see in in games 1 or 2, it’s very likely we don’t see him for the entirety of the series.
Main issues are
-Roslovic Is currently on one of his streaks where he’s contributing instead of being invisible. (As most CBJ fans say)
-Rempe absolutely has an effect on the game, even if he only plays 6 min, his ability to get the crowed juiced up, hit/forechek/Fight if need be is valuable. A big hit can shift momentum very quickly
-Wennberg is playing solid D from a Center aspect, even though he doesn’t contribute much offensively, he still has the ability to set up a line mate or pop in a goal….

Who comes out? And why do they come out?
And after that, what do new line combos look like?

I think everyone is going to have a diff version of what Lavi should/could do……
If chytil is looking beast like, he absolutely makes this team a hell of a lot more offensively dangerous

Really though.....all that is a good problem to have. I really like Filip but he's been out so long I wonder how long it's going to get him to game shape and where his timing is going to be. It could take him an entire series and if that's the case how much benefit is in it for us......and beating Carolina is no slam dunk. It's a much greater challenge than beating the Caps. Wennberg doesn't have his offense but he is in game shape and he's very good usually (not the last game against the Caps) defensively which is fine for the role he has.

Rempe is a unique player. He's raw as hell for sure and prone to penalties and Carolina I think ended the regular season with the league's best power play. That said we were 3rd on the penalty kill and it looked great against the Caps. Two of the three penalties Rempe took in the Caps series were arguably not penalties at all and the last of those knocked TVR out of series which certainly hurt the Capitals as he was one of their better and more experienced D. Andersen has been playing well for the Canes---screening his view of shots might be a way to break his confidence and when Matthew gets to the front of the net he causes chaos and is a big obstacle to see around. So reasons to keep him in the lineup are things like the potential for his causing attrition to opponents with his physical game and an unwanted distraction for their goalie and defense trying to keep him away net front. Also the 4th line has been good.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Rempe leaves opposing players bruised up and skittish, which has value over a 7 game series. A sore shoulder or wrist is sometimes the only difference between making a good play and turning over the puck. It’s a hard choice with Rempe. He gives you things other players can’t but he will be called for penalties and won’t play in the final minutes of a close game.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Rempe's not there to fight heavyweights - he's there to hit their dmen hard enough that they're sore for the rest of the series and force them to deal with one more factor when moving the puck.
So, inflicting pain is a portion of NHL hockey? It's a thing?
Jeez, I thought it was to score goals, stop goals and winning is better than losing.

Surely I jest.

nyrallday

Apr 23, 2024
So, inflicting pain is a portion of NHL hockey? It's a thing?
Jeez, I thought it was to score goals, stop goals and winning is better than losing.

Surely I jest.
Not sure if serious but do you think players throw big hits for fun? I don't think they are trying to kill each other but you do want to wear guys down, especially in the playoffs. If you don't think these guys are trying to hurt each other even a little bit, idk what to tell you. And a hit hurts regardless, especially from a 6'8 240 pound guy or whatever Rempe weighs

Reactions: Cmox

nyrallday

Apr 23, 2024
Really though.....all that is a good problem to have. I really like Filip but he's been out so long I wonder how long it's going to get him to game shape and where his timing is going to be. It could take him an entire series and if that's the case how much benefit is in it for us......and beating Carolina is no slam dunk. It's a much greater challenge than beating the Caps. Wennberg doesn't have his offense but he is in game shape and he's very good usually (not the last game against the Caps) defensively which is fine for the role he has.

Rempe is a unique player. He's raw as hell for sure and prone to penalties and Carolina I think ended the regular season with the league's best power play. That said we were 3rd on the penalty kill and it looked great against the Caps. Two of the three penalties Rempe took in the Caps series were arguably not penalties at all and the last of those knocked TVR out of series which certainly hurt the Capitals as he was one of their better and more experienced D. Andersen has been playing well for the Canes---screening his view of shots might be a way to break his confidence and when Matthew gets to the front of the net he causes chaos and is a big obstacle to see around. So reasons to keep him in the lineup are things like the potential for his causing attrition to opponents with his physical game and an unwanted distraction for their goalie and defense trying to keep him away net front. Also the 4th line has been good.
I saw Matthews and thought you were talking about Toronto. Then i remembered Rempe is Matthew

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC

But the later series don't get easier. If Chytil doesn't go in now when does he? He can get reduced minutes to (but more than 6) if need be to get in game shape. Rempe is a known quantity now. Canes know if they mess around we can easily play him next game. Wilson still did shit, like with Fox, even though the Big Deterrent was around. I'd like to see Chytil centering line 3 and Wennberg line 4 to start the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad