How do you fix the Wings?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Careful now friend - last time I suggested a trade w/Calgary I was nearly kicked off Red Wing Island...Tough crowd in here :laugh:

Yeah, weren't you the one who wanted to trade a 1st for a 40 pt player? If you were the one wanting Mangiapane for 15 then you deserved flak.

Markstrom was lights out last yr. But the problem with him is his age and that he'd be a stopgap till our 2 prospects are ready. And our team is a serious contender in 2 years EARLIEST. Prob later. I'd move #15 for him if the timeline lined up better. But I don't see it, dude. So the price is too much for a guy that backstops us while we are a first rd out at best. We are just bot there yet to give up assets for short term fixes.

How is .905 sv% lights out? Lyon had a .904 and no one thought he was lights out.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Maatta was pretty bad with the puck this season, pinched in at weird times, and took shots that were easily blocked. I liked the way he played the previous season much more. He's also kinda slow.

Not saying Chiarot's puck decisions are great by any means, but Maatta was def worse.

Chiarot is infinitely worse with the puck than Maatta. Chiarot lugs it over the blueline thinking he is Bobby Orr and then lobs/passes it to absolutely no one about 75% of the time, with the other team then getting it and back to our zone we go. When playing with Seider he almost never even looks to pass to Seider the actual defender with skill and makes passes to much more covered players.

Then Chiarot needs to stop LARPing as a dog chasing a squirrel all over the zone and stay put.

Shhh, he thinks he is Bobby Orr.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Chiarot is the exact type of player you want on a playoff team. He’s not afraid to throw around his weight and plays a mean game.

People here like to use him as the scapegoat for all defensive flaws this team has. Chiarot serves best as a 4/5 in a shutdown role.

If the roster is ass and has him playing top 2 minutes, that’s not the players fault. Blame poor coaching/roster management.

Thought he was also one of the better players on the team through the last month of the season. Prone for 1-2 bad plays a game, but even with that being said, thought he brought a lot more positives than negatives.

Disagree. Chiarot should be no higher than 3rd pair and 15-17 minutes a night. He also needs to play to his ability which is stay at home/physical defender, not trying to rush the puck or make plays as nothing about his skillset suggests he can do that or should do that. If he played 3rd pair and was about a mil less cap hit I would have no issue with him.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Chiarot is infinitely worse with the puck than Maatta. Chiarot lugs it over the blueline thinking he is Bobby Orr and then lobs/passes it to absolutely no one about 75% of the time
And Maatta? His two goto moves are wide shots from an angle that kills the momentum with the puck going back to our zone, or a shot that is blocked that leads to a rush the other way. Strongly disagree that Maatta is better than Chiarot.

Yeah, weren't you the one who wanted to trade a 1st for a 40 pt player? If you were the one wanting Mangiapane for 15 then you deserved flak.

How is .905 sv% lights out? Lyon had a .904 and no one thought he was lights out.
Cuz he was arguably behind the worst defense and had close to, if not the highest SV% against high danger chances. Quality of shots matters here. Flames were bleeding prime time opportunities every game. Lyon behind that defense would prob have been like .890.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
Cuz he was arguably behind the worst defense and had close to, if not the highest SV% against high danger chances. Quality of shots matters here. Flames were bleeding prime time opportunities every game. Lyon behind that defense would prob have been like .890.

Well, from Red Wings perspective i don't see an argument where their defense was any better

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Well, from Red Wings perspective i don't see an argument where their defense was any better
To be fair, it's possible to compare two defenses that are essentially the same (say, equally bad), but if one team has a harder schedule, they could surrender more high danger chances. Let alone if you have two defenses that are both bad but for different reasons (one gives up 50 relatively harmless chances a night, while the other allows half a dozen 3-on-1's per game).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad