If the Leafs lose in the first round, do they move on from Shanahan this summer?

If the Leafs lose in the first round, do they move on from Shanahan this summer?

• Yes

Votes: 46 52.3%
  • No

Votes: 42 47.7%

• Total voters

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
They should but they won't.

Shanny just brought in Treliving, it gives him at least 1 more year to see what they can do. I don't think MLSE will get rid of him after 1 season of a new gm.

The way I see it MLSE will get rid of them if the Leafs have a bad playoff this year and next. He basically bought himself another year by getting a new gm.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Yes they should. It would have been appropriate to fire Shanny last year. If they lose in the 1st round again, meaning only 1 series win in 8 consecutive postseasons, they should be firing coaches and trading core players.

I'm a Leafs fan. I believe in this team. But it gets to a point where you can no longer reward failure. You don't have to blow up the whole roster, but you have to make significant changes.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
How he's managed to stick around this long, with that mediocre track record, is remarkable.

One series win, through ten full years of the "Shanaplan".

Incompetence anywhere else would earn you a ticket out the door but since the Leafs basically print money he's been stapled in place. :laugh:

In perspective, the leafs had missed the playoffs for a full decade when Shanny was hired

He turned the team into a contending playoff team in short order

The players they have are the players they have, if they can’t perform Shanny should move on from them, but he’s done a really nice job

The team is light years better than the one he took over

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I voted no. Maybe if it's an embarassing 1st round sweep they do, but overall no. But they do change coaches.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
A better question is what do they do with Marner and what is his next contract going to look like.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
If you fire Shanahan and keep his GM, what is that realistically going to do, especially in the short term at least? They just hired a new GM, That should likely buy him a couple more seasons unless they plan to fire Shanahan and their GM this summer.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
It won’t do anything. They have to move one of the core players if the same core keeps losing. I’m not sure why anything else is even considered.

Reactions: nucks88

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Doubt it, they more likely move on from Keefe.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
In perspective, the leafs had missed the playoffs for a full decade when Shanny was hired

He turned the team into a contending playoff team in short order

The players they have are the players they have, if they can’t perform Shanny should move on from them, but he’s done a really nice job

The team is light years better than the one he took over

Does Toronto have Matthews/Marner/Nylander if not for the prior mediocrity? Those three top draft picks alone would have Toronto a playoff contender.

Similar to Bruins fans applauding Sweeney when he inherited Bergeron/Marchand/Pastrnak.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Does Toronto have Matthews/Marner/Nylander if not for the prior mediocrity? Those three top draft picks alone would have Toronto a playoff contender.

Similar to Bruins fans applauding Sweeney when he inherited Bergeron/Marchand/Pastrnak.

You act as though mediocrity is a guarantee to draft stars.

You should be able to recall how prior to Shanny the leafs traded the Boston bruins 2 unprotected 1st round picks. One ended up 2nd overall

So no, mediocrity doesn’t mean the leafs get top draft picks. You have to manage that as well

Dec 15, 2002
Since this thread is officially relevant, ....

Should the Leafs shitcan the Shanahan and the Shanaplan? Yes.

Will the Leafs do it? I'll believe it when I see it.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
It's a weird one. Dubas claims he was basically an assistant GM and wasn't allowed to do what he wanted. Shannahan blames Dubas for not making it over the hump and fires him.

Seems like when Nylander held out Dubas tried to hold the line and Shannahan caved and gave Nylander everything he wanted. Shannahan didn't want to go through the same song and dance with his stars ever since and just hands them blank contract to fill out from the old "GM" and the new "GM".

Shannahan is running out of people to blame. Its always the one bad apple that Shannahan blames that spoiled the bunch. Seems like Marner is up this year with Leafs fans affectionately calling him "bitchy Mitchy".

My favorite bad apple was Babcock. Leafs were throwing parades for the highest paid coach ever. Calling him the greatest coach over a single Cup over 10 years on a loaded Red Wings team where he consistently got out coached in the playoffs and some Gold Medals I could have coached those teams to. Then it was time for Babcock to take the blame. Suddenly the Leafs owned media was really upset over things Babcock did before he was ever a Leaf. Funny how there was no outrage about these things when he was hired. They weren't secrets. Wings fans we all aware. But Shannahan had to have someone else take the blame for his failures. But Leafs fans bought everything they were sold.

It's Shannahan's roster. It's his final say. Some how he has no responsibility.

Reactions: I am not exposed

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I have no idea what they do here. But it's a super awkward situation either way.

On the one hand, you can't run it back again. You just can't. You need to make major changes.

On the other hand, if you hand Shanny his walking papers...what do you even do with Treliving? You can't keep him in that situation and have a "lame duck" GM that isn't the new guys hire. So you basically just brought a guy in to goof around and largely run it back for a year and then fire him and pay him while also searching for and paying another new GM? 3 GMs in 3 years isn't great tbh. Even if Treliving kinda sucks.

Just puts you in a weird situation. Which is where i could see them just giving both of Shanny+Treliving as his latest guy that "1 more year bro. Just 1 more year. We were right there".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad