Player Discussion Kaiden Guhle

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Ooo i know this one, He is a LD and the WC are showing why he should be playing LD which is his more comfortable position. This is newhook at center vs. winger all over again
You didn't answer specifically what you will see change in his game - that will help us win games.

Right now, I think the best dcore we can ice is with Guhle on the top pair with Matheson. Matheson, I would expect to be an unmitigated disaster on the right side. Sure I'd be in favor of drafting a Levshunov and going:

Guhle - Levshunov
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux

But, chances are Levshunov won't be available. And, if you draft an RD you miss out on a forward, which is a more critical need than having Guhle play on the left than on the right. Ideally Barron emerges. But that is looking less likely than more likely.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
You didn't answer specifically what you will see change in his game - that will help us win games.

Right now, I think the best dcore we can ice is with Guhle on the top pair with Matheson. Matheson, I would expect to be an unmitigated disaster on the right side. Sure I'd be in favor of drafting a Levshunov and going:

Guhle - Levshunov
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux

But, chances are Levshunov won't be available. And, if you draft an RD you miss out on a forward, which is a more critical need than having Guhle play on the left than on the right. Ideally Barron emerges. But that is looking less likely than more likely.
That’d be a sick D core though!

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I want Ghule at RD too but surely he's learned what NOT to do watching Matheson turn pucks over from the best spot in the rink in 4k HD every single game.

A little positivity can be found anywhere I suppose. I don't see Matheson as an important piece going forward and we aren't contending so I'm not sure why they feel the absolute need to have Ghule with him. Its not like we needed to win games this year and you absolutely have to put him there to optimize the lineup. I understand that MSL doesn't think that way though and will always want an optimal lineup over Ghules individual well being and development but still , its annoying , and im not only blaming MSL because Gorton and Hughes are the ones that construct the team and give him the soldiers

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Guhle - Levshunov
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux

You can see it in pass receptions, you can see it in his play off the board, you can see it in his positioning too. The defense off the rush is also slightly worse. Outside pivots on your strong hand are much tougher than on your off hand. Think about the radius of a stick and the encumberment of having the stick on the side which has the shortest path around you for an opposing player. For breakout, it means he has his back turned, the Kucherov hit is a good example of that too. He was left unprotected and of course the situation is worse than it could probably ever be because Kuch is a dirty POG but the play moves in his back, Matheson takes the rightful place of the left side D, Guhle has two choices, move the puck back and take the hit (what he did), or skate it up from his off-hand, which would take a fraction of second more than if he did scoop it up from his strong hand. Not a situation you want to be in. Then when he skates up, the stick is much closer to the forechecker, had he not move the puck behind him. All in all, he made the right play there, he was just a victim of being used on the RD and was in a lose-lose situation.

There's no defender that is stronger on his off-side, thats just impossible logistically. Of course Guhle is still good, of course he's still responsible, but he's just that much better on the left side. It's kind of like handicapping a player a little bit everywhere. Why would you want to do that ?

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto

Guhle - Levshunov
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux

I don't know what else to say but he looks better at LD then RD? is it going to flip the script and will he win every game, no, is he a better defenseman at L (his natural side) then R (His offside), yes, if we're thinking long term Guhle should be on his Left and we should have someone on the right with Matheson who is either not in the long term plans or is and is trying to fill that void.

Guhle is just as important to the long term success of this team as Caufield, Dach, Reinbacher and whomever we draft at 5th overall this year.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
That's because Matheson doesn't help the kids to improve defensively. He either plays with Guhle or Savard because of it.

Yes he does. Matheson plays grotesquely difficult minutes, which frees up easier minutes for younger guys. He plays with Guhle or Savard because they're the only ones that don't get absolutely butchered in those minutes. Its not like MSL didn't try other D higher in the lineup, it worked even worse. Matheson is a veteran who can handle the pressure and the mental aspect without changing what he needs to do what he needs to be effective, he's just not a good enough player to play the kind of minutes he does. Its not the same for guys with no or limited experience.

Like, Hughes has been crystal clear why they have Matheson around. When more young D than Guhle show they can handle those minutes, Montreal will start using their D the way most teams do.

Reactions: Nicko999

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yes he does. Matheson plays grotesquely difficult minutes, which frees up easier minutes for younger guys. He plays with Guhle or Savard because they're the only ones that don't get absolutely butchered in those minutes. Its not like MSL didn't try other D higher in the lineup, it worked even worse. Matheson is a veteran who can handle the pressure and the mental aspect without changing what he needs to do what he needs to be effective, he's just not a good enough player to play the kind of minutes he does. Its not the same for guys with no or limited experience.

Like, Hughes has been crystal clear why they have Matheson around. When more young D than Guhle show they can handle those minutes, Montreal will start using their D the way most teams do.
False dillemma because Guhle plays the minutes Matheson would play on the right side. If he's insulating someone, then moving Guhle back to LD insulates the same players. It's Kovacevic and Savard that he "insulates".

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't know what else to say but he looks better at LD then RD? is it going to flip the script and will he win every game, no, is he a better defenseman at L (his natural side) then R (His offside), yes, if we're thinking long term Guhle should be on his Left and we should have someone on the right with Matheson who is either not in the long term plans or is and is trying to fill that void.

Guhle is just as important to the long term success of this team as Caufield, Dach, Reinbacher and whomever we draft at 5th overall this year.

I agree that Guhle is just as important to the long term success of the team as the other core pieces.

But if you can't articulate what aspects he is/will be better at playing on the left side, so be it.

I've only been able to watch so much recently. In the little I saw, I really liked the top 4 of Matheson-Guhle and Hutson-Savard at the end of the year. Then Xhekaj-Mailloux seems like a really good pair long term. It would make sense to move Matheson for an RD of equal value. We'll see...

Reactions: Scriptor

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I agree that Guhle is just as important to the long term success of the team as the other core pieces.

But if you can't articulate what aspects he is/will be better at playing on the left side, so be it.

I've only been able to watch so much recently. In the little I saw, I really liked the top 4 of Matheson-Guhle and Hutson-Savard at the end of the year. Then Xhekaj-Mailloux seems like a really good pair long term. It would make sense to move Matheson for an RD of equal value. We'll see...

Be very difficult to move Matheson for equal value vet... His cap hit is tremendous value, and will only be that much more valuable after this summer's cap increased fuelled spending spree.

Guhle playing another year mostly at RD is not a concern nor a setback imo. His versatility is an asset and further refining his ability to be effective on his off-side is more likely to help rather than hinder his overall long term impact.

Another 60+ point, 24+min/night year from Matheson and by next summer his expiring <5M$ contract will be massively valuable in trade IF the Habs decide we have the in-house ELC/RFA options to replace him for the '25-'26 season (which will undoubtedly be a playoff focused year)

Reactions: Scriptor

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Be very difficult to move Matheson for equal value vet... His cap hit is tremendous value, and will only be that much more valuable after this summer's cap increased fuelled spending spree.

Guhle playing another year mostly at RD is not a concern nor a setback imo. His versatility is an asset and further refining his ability to be effective on his off-side is more likely to help rather than hinder his overall long term impact.

Another 60+ point, 24+min/night year from Matheson and by next summer his expiring <5M$ contract will be massively valuable in trade IF the Habs decide we have the in-house ELC/RFA options to replace him for the '25-'26 season (which will undoubtedly be a playoff focused year)

From what I've seen so far, I'm fine with Guhle playing RD even long term. But for sure I need to see more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miller Time

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Just gonna ignore all the details I'll give you

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Kid is outstanding. Of course he’s going to get lumped up on our shit team while playing top minutes.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
At least next season I see him on Matheson's right but maybe long term we'll find a partner for him where we can shift him back to the left. Maybe Mailloux ends up being that guy? Could even be someone we select in this draft if 3 or 4 of the top forwards go before our pick ..

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Is that something that really even needs to be articulated? Virtually every defenceman plays better on their strong side, off the top of my head TJ Brodie is the only exception I can think of.

If it's virtually everyone, then it isn't everyone. So I wouldn't assume it for anyone without seeing the discrepancies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad