Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 3)

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Yes I agree but some good pieces that if/when back they’ll trade and get one hell of a haul of picks and young players.

Wakely, Romani, van steensel, mathurin will all be traded, probably both leblancs too
They will likely get a player drafted in the 1st round plus multiple draft picks for Romani. They may get a 17 year old plus draft picks for Wakely but Mathurin and Jacob and Andrew LeBlanc will likely be traded for draft picks. They will not get the three, players in the 1st round that Petes got because most of the their good veteran players are overages and they usually only go for draft picks.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
They will likely get a player drafted in the 1st round plus multiple draft picks for Romani. They may get a 17 year old plus draft picks for Wakely but Mathurin and Jacob and Andrew LeBlanc will likely be traded for draft picks. They will not get the three, players in the 1st round that Petes got because most of the their good veteran players are overages and they usually only go for draft picks.
Hey you never know. We never thought McCoy would fetch a first rounder but he did.

Just a comparison- in other words the future of north bay will be just fine I’m sure

Reactions: Section5Petes

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
I'm not sure it will be the Petes but I'm sure a trade request has been made by the player & Agent. Maybe with 8-10 games left in the regular season, #91's ice time changed dramatically overnight including PP time.
My interpretation.... that was when a phone call was made and being reactionary, the GM & coaching staff appeased him with more minutes.
Hopkins would look very good in maroon and white just saying… 😂

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
I don't agree at all with Kingston building for 25/26 - it has to be next year or else it's been a massive waste acquiring all the '05s.

Obviously a lot will change by then but excluding 25/26 overagers you would have Frasca, Battaglia, Williamson, Hopkins as the only players with 2+ years experience.

Nothing about the make up of this roster makes me think they have a 2 year window - next year is closer to being the second of a two year window including this past year than it is being the first year of a 2 year window.

It wouldn't exactly surprise me if Hopkins wanted out based on ice time but even though he fits Peterborough's window perfectly, I don't think they have the assets that Kingston would be looking for.

There's a real chance Kingston has 6-7 '05s that end up as overagers between Burns, Miedema (depending on if they get signed), Thibodeau, Soto, Uens, McNamara, Vaccari and McGowan. As far as I'm concerned you can't waste this many players from one birth year.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The last thing they need to draft is a player that is drafted by the NHL. They are better to choose a player who will be drafted next year and has something to show. Too many of those drafted are willing to stay in Europe and play in men's leagues.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The last thing they need to draft is a player that is drafted by the NHL. They are better to choose a player who will be drafted next year and has something to show. Too many of those drafted are willing to stay in Europe and play in men's leagues.

Actually a mean spirited 19 yr old 6’7” Russian RD that could play in the KHL now is exactly what every wannabe OHL contender needs.

Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
.There's a real chance Kingston has 6-7 '05s that end up as overagers between Burns, Miedema (depending on if they get signed), Thibodeau, Soto, Uens, McNamara, Vaccari and McGowan. As far as I'm concerned you can't waste this many players from one birth year.
I agree but a few people stick out on that list.

Burns I don’t think will be back for an OA season. He’s been our best d man the last 2 seasons. I expect an offensive jump and his decision making to become better ie penalties and turnovers. He cleans that up he may even get a look on the world juniors team.

Miedema has to make a big offensive jump this season. If he doesn’t I don’t think he’s gonna get signed. That being said if he doesn’t improve LOTS I can see him back as an OA. And if he doesn’t play with us- some team will put up a decent package for him.

Uens has to improve his decision making more than anyone on the team here. And bulk up. If he does that he has a place on our bottom 4 for defence this year. Not sure about the OA season he may get waived.

McGowan needs to improve offensive ability and skating imo. Can turn into a pretty good two way d man here- pretty good defensively already and a tank for only being 5’11

Thibodeau, Soto, Vaccari and McNamara will all be back in the OHL for their OA seasons. 3/4 are small even though talented and McNamara has good size but not enough skill to go the ahl route yet I don’t think.

I predict the OAs in 2025/2026 will be Thibodeau, Soto and Vaccari. 2 good guys who can fill the net and a goalie who I’m sure will be one of the top of the league by then. If he isn’t I’d go for McGowan and trade miedema as he would fetch a decent package

Reactions: Section5Petes

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
LOL, anyone that size that can play in the KHL will choose that if they are not playing in the NHL AHL.

It is not in the best interest of top rated Europeans to be drafted out of the OHL. Kingston can use their 2nd import pick to take a swing at one of those players if they feel they cannot get two good imports to play for them immediately.
With their first import pick, Kingston should try to secure the defenseman or centre that will have the biggest impact for their team this coming season.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
It is not in the best interest of top rated Europeans to be drafted out of the OHL.

There are ways around this. Rasmus Sandin was selected by the Greyhounds and came to play in his 17 year old season. He was then drafted into the NHL following that season, but played in the AHL at 18.

The reason? From what I can tell, when he came to play for the Greyhounds, he was loaned from his Swedish team. This meant that even though he was playing in the OHL, he was not covered under the CHL/NHL agreement that restricted his ability to play in the AHL.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
There are ways around this. Rasmus Sandin was selected by the Greyhounds and came to play in his 17 year old season. He was then drafted into the NHL following that season, but played in the AHL at 18.

The reason? From what I can tell, when he came to play for the Greyhounds, he was loaned from his Swedish team. This meant that even though he was playing in the OHL, he was not covered under the CHL/NHL agreement that restricted his ability to play in the AHL.

Loaned players to the CHL occurs often enough, though not often the level of Sandin or Rossi (late birth I think). Sandin is an odd case to me, he probably could have had regular minutes in the top Swedish league. It must have been a combination of limited earnings at 17 and wanting to play in a NA size rink.

The point is Kingston will have as many 2005 born as 2006-08 combined. It is a make or break season, so every effort has to be made to land an import that will have an immediate impact.

Reactions: HockeyPops

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Agreed - they need to go 2/2 on imports and as far as I'm concerned they should be '05s for a 1 year "rental" and then maybe go for someone younger in next years Import draft

Reactions: dirty12

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
All I know is they gotta get their first rounder to commit this year, can’t fumble 2 years in a row
That's precisely the point. NHL first-round picks have various paths they can take-they could be ready for the NHL, play in the AHL, or opt to play professionally in their home country.

Also, drafting a first-round player does not help the team develop. For example, if you draft a forward who is a first-round pick, he is going to expect the minutes. How do you think players drafted by other teams are going to feel?

The bottom line is simple: An NHL-drafted player has many options, three of which do not include the OHL, especially a team that has not proven that it can develop talent.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
That's precisely the point. NHL first-round picks have various paths they can take-they could be ready for the NHL, play in the AHL, or opt to play professionally in their home country.

Also, drafting a first-round player does not help the team develop. For example, if you draft a forward who is a first-round pick, he is going to expect the minutes. How do you think players drafted by other teams are going to feel?

The bottom line is simple: An NHL-drafted player has many options, three of which do not include the OHL, especially a team that has not proven that it can develop talent.
Beast I didn’t mean draft a first round nhl pick I meant our first round chl import pick- we have to get them to commit.

I don’t care if they’re drafted to the nhl or not, can’t miss on 2 straight high chl import draft picks.

They need to find someone to commit here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad