Player Discussion Kris Knoblauch: Don’t Judge a Knob By Its Polish

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It’s pretty much speculation on my part, but Knoblauch strikes me as the player-friendly coach who isn’t actually friends with the players. I feel that might have been a weakness on Woodcroft’s part.
Objectivity requires not being specifically bonded with certain others. That was a struggle for Woody and possibly due to him being transitioned from AHL-NHL here with some of the players making that same transition.

I always trusted supervisors that would stay impartial and not socially involved with others over those that would socially frequent certain employees. Indeed used to be supervisors would avoid association beyond work environment.

Knob is fair and impartial as I see it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Shine's starting to come off. Would be nice to have a coach whose contingency plan isn't "Load up the top line".

Now people are screaming about adherence to "systems play" but if you want that you need a coach hyper obsessed (and yes) with a giant ass ego about their system.

You need an old fart of a coach like Sutter or Torts if that's what you want, but the same posters who now are banging the drum about needing to play a system also don't want to hire a coach like that.

Well it's like "tough shit". This is what you get then, a rookie coach is not going to reinvent the wheel here or bench superstar players.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He is a solid coach for sure.
Having said that...just read through the game 5 PGT for a very revealing look into the minds of many Oilers fans.
We have to remember he’s still learning on the job too. He’s not some vet coach, he’s figuring out what works and what doesn’t. Good news is that this means he’s also not set in his ways and unwilling to change or adapt.

Yep. The biggest difference between Woodcroft and Knoblauch is last year we were begging for Campbell, and Woody stuck with Skinner and lost us the series. This year we were begging for Picard and Knoblauch actually put him in, and it turned things around.
Woody wouldn’t have made the adjustments to the forecheck and breakout that Knobs made. Series would’ve been over in 5.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
We have to remember he’s still learning on the job too. He’s not some vet coach, he’s figuring out what works and what doesn’t. Good news is that this means he’s also not set in his ways and unwilling to change or adapt.
I agree.
I was just pointing out the fact that some fans on here were actively throwing Knoblauch (a very good coach) under the bus after game 5.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
This Penalty Kill and defensive play is so much better under this coaching staff

Woodcroft has a bad PK everywhere he goes, to any Devils fan reading this...be warned :naughty:

Reactions: Oilhawks

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Objectivity requires not being specifically bonded with certain others. That was a struggle for Woody and possibly due to him being transitioned from AHL-NHL here with some of the players making that same transition.

I always trusted supervisors that would stay impartial and not socially involved with others over those that would socially frequent certain employees. Indeed used to be supervisors would avoid association beyond work environment.

Knob is fair and impartial as I see it.
Things I never thought I would see.

• Perry in the Pressbox
  • Split up Nurse and Ceci in Game 7
  • Pickard in
  • Back to Skinner

Game by Game adjustments

One thing I HATE under Knobby, is how we try and shell up in the third and fail miserably at it.
If any team ever wants to trade chances with us, we should let them.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Yep. The biggest difference between Woodcroft and Knoblauch is last year we were begging for Campbell, and Woody stuck with Skinner and lost us the series. This year we were begging for Picard and Knoblauch actually put him in, and it turned things around.

The fans were begging Knoblauch to knob Skinner, and he obliged!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad