Player Discussion Marner Talk - Fresh, insightful comments are welcome

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Well we just signed one guy for another 4 years and another for 8 so there is that. Both these guys we signed are no better in the playoffs than the guy we are running out of town.

I agree something has to change but the other 3 haven’t elevated their game by carrying us farther in the playoffs. I don’t have the confidence that matthews and nylander can carry us there either.
Your not wrong. But something has to give. 34 and 88 at least have the ability to score goals no matter who they play with, though they have not done much of that either. And like another poster said (sorry dont remember who) if Marner goes and 34 and 88 continue to not do much in the playoffs then they can go next.

Reactions: ToneDog

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
If we have someone better than JT to centre the 3rd line, that's more than fine with me. :)
Tavares may score more than a typical 3rd line center but he's also extremely easy to play against. What do we want in a 3rd line? Do we want a young 3rd line, full of good skaters, who forecheck hard, play physical, and chip in the occasional offense. This gets my vote. Or do we want a super-slow old finesse player that other teams lines will smile when they see him lining up at center knowing they can skate circles around this old man.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Marner is the guy who brings almost no offensive value on his own. He's not going to score goals hovering around the perimeter. Both Matthews and Nylander bring offense on their own. Marner's fans have sold it as Matthews needs him to score goals. I don't see the evidence for this. In fact, I see evidence that Matthews is a better all-around player and more engaged physically when he's away from Marner.

If Berube signs off on bringing him back next year, it won't take him long to regret that decision.
This. Him playing away from Marner and with Domi and Bert was eye opening for me. Matthews showed a side of himself I dont think Ive seen. I really like that version of him and hope he continues down that path.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
FRESH NEW CONTENT

I wish I could get 18mil overpay for crying like a baby, complaining about my coach and being jealous about what a teammate got. Not performing in crunch time and throwing my gloves down and being a smug arrogant sounding prick in the media all the while.

10.9m less 2.5m should have done the trick long term

Reactions: LeafSteel and socko

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
FRESH NEW CONTENT

I wish I could get 18mil overpay for crying like a baby, complaining about my coach and being jealous about what a teammate got. Not performing in crunch time and throwing my gloves down and being a smug arrogant sounding prick in the media all the while.

10.9m less 2.5m should have done the trick long term

It's a fresh summer season for Marner...fresh golf greens, fresh tan, fresh time away from the gym and rink...been 8 seasons of freshness now, right? Every playoffs have been refreshing too for the last 8 years...all that along with our fresh comments...if Marner stays for another year, it'll be even more refreshing...but if he signs an 8 year extension with the Leafs, that's gotta be ultimate freshness...:sarcasm:

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
It's a fresh summer season for Marner...fresh golf greens, fresh tan, fresh time away from the gym and rink...been 8 seasons of freshness now, right? Every playoffs have been refreshing too for the last 8 years...all that along with our fresh comments...if Marner stays for another year, it'll be even more refreshing...but if he signs an 8 year extension with the Leafs, that's gotta be ultimate freshness...:sarcasm:
I think they call that Eau de Shanahan. It's expensive stuff that you can only get in New York City.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
The team needs him to go.
He needs to go.

I’m the GM: Mitch, we’re moving on, let’s get something that works for you
I'm all for it happening, but I just don't see it happening anymore. I just don't see why a coach would want to meet with a player they plan on trading when they could have a conversation over the phone to tell him they plan to move on from him.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm all for it happening, but I just don't see it happening anymore. I just don't see why a coach would want to meet with a player they plan on trading when they could have a conversation over the phone to tell him they plan to move on from him.

Job interview. Does the coach like him and want to give him a shot or not. If he gives him a shot we lose him for nothing or just overpay him again

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
46 pts in 62 playoff games. So he doesnt bring much to the offensive table in the playoffs and never has. 2 pts in 7 games this year. Makes 11. Zero emotion. Iv never seen him stick up for his teammates, like ever. Getting slower by the day. I get that he gives an honest effort, is good at face offs and has a decent shot if he is in close but I don't get why we want to keep him and for 6+...I dont think I want him for any price to be honest. I dont get the love. How has he made us a better team?

All the top players on the 4 teams left all do as all teams that win do. Ours never have.
Roger that…….

Exactly. Hyman never got the respect because everyone was googly eyed over Matthews and Marner.
Hyman has 13 goals thus playoffs
Marner and Matthews combined have 2.
Some of you guys think we should extend Marner for 7 or 8 more years at 12 something……….its mind boggling
In the interest of fairness Matthews should never have been given the contract extension for that kind of money.
These 2 are grossly over rated
Yup……

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Exactly. Hyman never got the respect because everyone was googly eyed over Matthews and Marner.
Hyman has 13 goals thus playoffs
Marner and Matthews combined have 2.
Some of you guys think we should extend Marner for 7 or 8 more years at 12 something……….its mind boggling
In the interest of fairness Matthews should never have been given the contract extension for that kind of money.
These 2 are grossly over rated
As well, the KEY stats:

Children's story books written:
Hyman 1
Marner 0
Matthews 0

Books read:
Hyman 500
Keefe: 14 (including Archie comics).

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Tavares may score more than a typical 3rd line center but he's also extremely easy to play against. What do we want in a 3rd line? Do we want a young 3rd line, full of good skaters, who forecheck hard, play physical, and chip in the occasional offense. This gets my vote. Or do we want a super-slow old finesse player that other teams lines will smile when they see him lining up at center knowing they can skate circles around this old man.
You're not giving him the respect he deserves, not even close. Slow or not, he's still a very good hockey player who's point totals and all-round two way play are way more than you'd expect from a 3rd line player. You might not like the guy but calling him 3rd line player is just wrong.

As well, the KEY stats:

Children's story books written:
Hyman 1
Marner 0
Matthews 0

Books read:
Hyman 500
Keefe: 14 (including Archie comics).
I found out a while back that guy I worked with had never read a book in his life. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if I found out that the same was true for Marner.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
You're not giving him the respect he deserves, not even close. Slow or not, he's still a very good hockey player who's point totals and all-round two way play are way more than you'd expect from a 3rd line player. You might not like the guy but calling him 3rd line player is just wrong.

I found out a while back that guy I worked with had never read a book in his life. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if I found out that the same was true for Marner.
I think you can make an argument for Tavares on the 3rd line. I wouldn't want to subject Nylander to another year with Tavares as his center. That is just cruel. But yeah I value team speed more than most and I'm not a big fan.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Right, I forgot about that. Thanks for the correction.

Agreed. It's been weird reading the comments about these two players - seems like the majority of people would like to sign Bertuzzi and are willing to pay him 5 million, and the majority of people say Tavares can take a hike or maybe he can stay if he's willing to sign for 3 million tops.

I mean we'll see where we're at a year from now but these takes are just ridiculous IMO. I looked it up not too long ago and I don't remember for sure but I think JT was still in the top 70 in points among fowwards league wide. I do know for sure that he scored a lot more points than Bertuzzi. He's also very solid defensively, is amazing on the draw, he has no weaknesses in his game, the only knock on him is that he's not as young as he once was so is declining and is also not a fast skater but the way some people talk about him you'd think he has one foot in the grave.

A top line forward, great all-round two way player, not sure what you'd have to be smoking to think you'd draw the line at paying him more than 3 million a year.
40th in points among centers
8th in faceoff winning %age
And I did read somewhere he was the team leader in board battles won.

Sure we all know he is not worth 11 million but he isn’t washed up. lol!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad