Player Discussion Marner Talk

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I wonder who on our current roster has tallied the most playoff points for us? Could it be Marner with 50 in 57 games? We have a problem getting goals in the playoffs. Solution - ship Marner’s ass out of here. “Can’t write this stuff” a phrase often used to describe Leaf actions.

Love Marner but he has what? 11 goals in 57 playoff games? Is that acceptable for a guy making 10.9? It’s not great

Reactions: arso40

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Let's assume Marner sticks around for next year and has a great playoffs, PPG and Leafs make it to 3rd round or further...do opinions change? Are Leafs fans willing/wanting to see that happen or does he need to be traded asap?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Let's assume Marner sticks around for next year and has a great playoffs, PPG and Leafs make it to 3rd round or further...do opinions change? Are Leafs fans willing/wanting to see that happen or does he need to be traded asap?

Still think you let him walk and use cap space for goaltending/defense. Even if everything you said happens

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wonder who on our current roster has tallied the most playoff points for us? Could it be Marner with 50 in 57 games? We have a problem getting goals in the playoffs. Solution - ship Marner’s ass out of here. “Can’t write this stuff” a phrase often used to describe Leaf actions.

Marner’s 50 points in 57 games is not very good, and the internal benchmarking between whether Matthews, Marner or Nylander is better is utterly unproductive because they’re all frankly utter failures who have only shown a fraction of what their talent and regular season production suggests is possible. Each one of them. In their own way sucks in the playoffs.

The question we have to ask ourselves is who can we actually rely on the second half of their careers to break out? I’m going to bet Matthews and Nylander over Marner.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

The working assumption is that next year he won’t have a great playoffs and the Leags won’t go to the 3rd round or further…

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Marner ain't worth 5 million let alone 10 to a team the wants to win a Cup. What are people smokin'?
Certain teams Marner means playoffs for a few years.

Marner’s 50 points in 57 games is not very good, and the internal benchmarking between whether Matthews, Marner or Nylander is better is utterly unproductive because they’re all frankly utter failures who have only shown a fraction of what their talent and regular season production suggests is possible. Each one of them. In their own way sucks in the playoffs.

The question we have to ask ourselves is who can we actually rely on the second half of their careers to break out? I’m going to bet Matthews and Nylander over Marner.
Nylander didn't suck.

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
depends on what he does. I'd look to move him for the cap space, unless one of the other core players suffered a career ending injury or he started playing like a conn smyth contender in the playoffs.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Nylander came back and had an all star level performance in PO terms..he scored all of our game 6 and 7 goals.

That's pretty impressive. He was also the best player out on the ice both games for either teams

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Nylander came back and had an all star level performance in PO terms..he scored all of our game 6 and 7 goals.

That's pretty impressive. He was also the best player out on the ice both games for either teams

His goals in the first round are a high point for the Leafs but barely worth mentioning when compared to what impact $11 million plus players should be doing. I’m keeping him but that bar needs to go up a lot for him to be a playoff guy.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Marner was spoiled with that contract dubas gave him. Huge max bonus every July, NMC asap, overpaid caphit. Marner will quickly realize he won’t get all of those luxuries with another nhl team. There are very few teams who will do those massive July 1 bonus structures. I think marner gets 9.5-10.5 mil max per. He is sniffing glue if he thinks some team pays him 12 mil or more
He will follow along with his dad and Ferris tell him .. and they likely will sniff a lot of glue together .. h*ll it worked last time .. you can never tell what a desperate team will do if they think he can jump them up to a playoff spot .. but his time has come to an end here

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Mitch would have to have a postseason akin to ‘93 Gilmour or ‘10 Briere for anyone to consider wanting him back at his expected price range. The guy has proven he doesn’t have it in the playoffs for 8 seasons. Betting on him to turn it around now would be extremely risky, especially when he’s an upcoming UFA and he may walk for nothing in return.

Even with Tavares coming off the books, Mitch at $11-12 million when he disappears every postseason and the way he’s sewered his reputation in this city to means very few people have the stomach to see him here long term. Sure he could shock the world and become a playoff beast in 2025 but I sincerely doubt it.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

Even if he finally did come through in the playoffs, no guarantee he'd do it again after signing for more money. Why take a chance?

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
No worries for Mitch. I will put my house on the line where ever he lands. Every Leaf that gets run off the team wins the cup the next year. Money in the bank..

Reactions: Confucius

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

50 in 57 may not be that good but it is the best we have,..

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Love Marner but he has what? 11 goals in 57 playoff games? Is that acceptable for a guy making 10.9? It’s not great
He is overpaid but we wouldn’t replace his offence and that is what we need as well as D and goal keeping no wonder we get bounced in the 1st round. I am shocked we made it to game 7.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Don't expect any movement with Marner this year. I expect him to work his tail off (maybe even introduce himself to the boards) so he can make himself look very attractive as a UFA. Then he can pick his next team and contract. His ego and agent may tell him not to give the Leafs any advantage that they would get by trading him.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
No worries for Mitch. I will put my house on the line where ever he lands. Every Leaf that gets run off the team wins the cup the next year. Money in the bank..
Hyman is the latest example, leafs stats 32 playoff games 5 goals 13 points, Edmonton 36 games 23 goals 38 points. Someday people will realize it’s not the players but mgmt. removing Keefe was the correct move but finding the correct replacement will be difficult. More than likely we guess wrong again.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Even if he finally did come through in the playoffs, no guarantee he'd do it again after signing for more money. Why take a chance?
Why would marner want to come back ?
U think his agent or dad will want him to be in Toronto risking his potentially 12.5 mill contract by having a crap year
Anaheim San Jose Chicago
Teams where there is no pressure

Don't expect any movement with Marner this year. I expect him to work his tail off (maybe even introduce himself to the boards) so he can make himself look very attractive as a UFA. Then he can pick his next team and contract. His ego and agent may tell him not to give the Leafs any advantage that they would get by trading him.
Or they could get him outta town ,won't be pretty if he's booed all year
He needs to get 100 points
The pressure will be enormous

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad