Player Discussion Marner Talk - Fresh, insightful comments are welcome

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I dunno. Pastrnak wouldn't playout a string of meaningless games to pad his stats, then miss the first 3 playoff games with a migraine. Seems like something unique to Nylander.

And Pastrnak put the dagger in us. I'd say he was more noticeable than Willy "I have a headache" Nylander.
You mean the play that 11 million player, Mitch Marner didn't pick up Pastrnak? If only we were lucky enough that Marner would fake an injury.... at least when Nylander plays he makes a positive impact. Marner has 7th backbreaking shi$$t plays in the past 4 series.. you should go back and provide your commentary to all the 7 plays Marner $%&^ed this team. Yes all 7...we will wait for you to respond to them.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
You mean the play that 11 million player, Mitch Marer didn't pick up Pastrnak? If only someone on Bostons Team cared as little as Marner. 7th backbreaking shi$$t play by Marner in the past 4 series.
Moot point. We probably win in 6 if Nylander shows up on time and Matthews doesn't order the new england clam chowder., Boston is getting exposed in round 2.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Moot point. We probably win in 6 if Nylander shows up on time and Matthews doesn't order the new england clam chowder., Boston is getting exposed in round 2.
Yep... exactly. We get swept though if not for Matthews and Nylander dominance in game 2 and 5? Marner again, doing nothing but costing the team 13% in cap space and giving the opponent the game winning goals in elimination games.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Some of these comments seem to suggest that Willy deliberately gave himself migraines so bad that he couldn't even see, just so he could get out of padding his stats.
Nah I'm just giving Nylander the same treatment you guys give Marner and Rielly. Only I'm about to sleep just fine and not stay up all night poking a Marner doll with needles 🌚

• Haha
Reactions: egd27 and ACC1224

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Lets just ignore that Tavares makes the same money and got caved all series and barely did anything except have a puck randomly squeak out in the slot to Knies.
Exactly - there were two $11M players who did basically nothing in the series, but let's complain about the guy making 35% less, who was easily the best skater on the ice in at least two of the four games he played.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
He's old and his decline is expected. Marner should be in his ultra prime. Different expectations.
At 33 I'm expecting more out of my $11 million captain.

Marner played like crap no doubt but with the opponent we had Marner shouldn't have had to be the X-Factor in such a close series. We have plenty of other high priced talent and playoff performers this year. Marner being the whipping boy is old news.

Reactions: Confucius

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I dunno. Pastrnak wouldn't playout a string of meaningless games to pad his stats, then miss the first 3 playoff games with a migraine. Seems like something unique to Nylander.

And Pastrnak put the dagger in us. I'd say he was more noticeable than Willy "I have a headache" Nylander.
Marner's criticism is getting a bit much but I think you're overcorrecting here to make up for it

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Nah I'm just giving Nylander the same treatment you guys give Marner and Rielly. Only I'm about to sleep just fine and not stay up all night poking a Marner doll with needles 🌚
Really? Who complained about Marner and Rielly faking injuries so they could miss games?

And if you're silly enough to believe in voodoo, you would believe that it was Nylander and Matthews dolls that were getting the pin treatment.

All you seem to have done is admit the shoe fits.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Really? Who complained about Marner and Rielly faking injuries so they could miss games?

And if you're silly enough to believe in voodoo, you would believe that it was Nylander and Matthews dolls that were getting the pin treatment.

All you seem to have done is admit the shoe fits.
I believe in not beating a dead horse and realizing the whole team failed to win a winnable series.

But that's a good point about the Voodoo. I never thought of it that way. I thought it just brought bad luck/misfortune.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006

Marner played like crap no doubt but with the opponent we had Marner shouldn't have had to be the X-Factor in such a close series. We have plenty of other high priced talent and playoff performers this year. Marner being the whipping boy is old news.
By X factor, do you mean do something to help us win a game like Matthews (Game 2) Tavares (Game 5) and Nylander (Game 6)? Marner had that chance in game 7... a gift from Swayman and instead of trying to tuck the puck short side and maybe take a hit from the intimidating Zacha... he decided to go for a skate in the corner and the opportunity was lost.

He did nothing to help us win that series. So there is at least some rationale for Marner being unpopular.. add his lack of media savvy and his previous contract issue... it's a cauldron of shit.

As much as I was upset with yet another loss.. I have come to at least be glad I'm not an Oilers fan... Leaf fans think the Leafs are unlikeable.. man.. That Oilers team is hateful... Just give us Hyman back.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
By X factor, do you mean do something to help us win a game like Matthews (Game 2) Tavares (Game 5) and Nylander (Game 6)? Marner had that chance in game 7... a gift from Swayman and instead of trying to tuck the puck short side and maybe take a hit from the intimidating Zacha... he decided to go for a skate in the corner and the opportunity was lost.

He did nothing to help us win that series. So there is at least some rationale for Marner being unpopular.. add his lack of media savvy and his previous contract issue... it's a cauldron of shit.

As much as I was upset with yet another loss.. I have come to at least be glad I'm not an Oilers fan... Leaf fans think the Leafs are unlikeable.. man.. That Oilers team is hateful... Just give us Hyman back.
Can't disagree. Marner's X-Factor moment is scoring a highlight reel goal in the 3rd period of a 3-1 loss that no one cares about lol that and the puck flipping stuff has me convinced he's been cursed.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

Expecting more out of the 33 year old over the 27 year old is pretty crazy, especially when that 27 year old is said to be one of the best in the league.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I meant more in general not more than anyone else in particular. 33 isn't an age you're supposed to look worthless.
Neither is 27, but people are fighting all over the internet as to why we should keep him around. Tavares carried a terrible Islanders franchise on his back until he was 27 all by himself pretty much. He got paid for doing so and because his skating was never his best asset you knew he'd probably decline in his later years. He's still been our best faceoff guy and he's scored big goals for us over the years including the one to send us to the 2nd round and unlike Marner he got better the later the series goes and when the games get much tighter.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Neither is 27, but people are fighting all over the internet as to why we should keep him around. Tavares carried a terrible Islanders franchise on his back until he was 27 all by himself pretty much. He got paid for doing so and because his skating was never his best asset you knew he'd probably decline in his later years. He's still been our best faceoff guy and he's scored big goals for us over the years including the one to send us to the 2nd round and unlike Marner he got better the later the series goes and when the games get much tighter.
Maybe ditching Tavares means Marner doesn't have to play with him and actually comes through on his potential? We need to tie our ship to the 27 year old (fkin all star) that if we re sign we can get something back for. What are we holding onto with Tavares ?

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Maybe ditching Tavares means Marner doesn't have to play with him and actually comes through on his potential? We need to tie our ship to the 27 year old (fkin all star) that if we re sign we can get something back for. What are we holding onto with Tavares ?
He’s played the better half of that contract with Matthews.
Please stop.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Marner has played with Matthews every series we've played, except this year. Nylander has played with Tavares and he's been just fine. 24, 25 and 26 year old Marner has barely outscored 31, 32 and 33 year old Tavares in the playoffs. Last year was the only time and he got all his points in the 1st 3 games and 2 of them were blowouts by each team. Well, Tavares is 33 and making 11 million towards the cap which nobody is gonna want to take on. We could eat half that salary but it's probably better to keep him for the final year because we aren't gonna get much even if we eat 50% of that salary. Marner on the other hand is still young so I'm sure we could get a C who could be Tavares replacement and move Tavares down to 3C for the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad