Player Discussion Marner Talk - Fresh, insightful comments are welcome

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Its not the players it is the coaching. There is no way 4 players well really all players underperformed at the same time. Has any Leaf consistently played better during the playoffs than they have during the regular season over the last 8 years?

Even when we parachute guys in for the playoffs, they fail. When we trade for guys the 1st few games they are here it's yeah this is what we need. A month later what happened to his Game? Lol

Its coaching man, finding the right coach is key.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
People want to hold onto the immense promise that this group once possessed in 2016-17. Once you move a key piece from the equation it feels like you lose the original configuration of how this team was envisioned to win and that feels like a scary step into the unknown.

Holding on year after year yields the same results but players, fans and management alike seem to have be enamoured with the idea that we are on the cusp of something special only requiring superficial changes.
And to those who feel like that I say....respectfully....wake the fk up!

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
There's no more tinkering to be done. Our issue is our offense doesn't work and we have invested all our money into it.

Thankfully management seems to understand what the problem is, they came out and said "we can't score" and the powerplay was what, 5%?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
To be honest, I got over player love and idolization when I was around 19, which was when Ballard traded Sittler. I tend to analyze players on all my sports teams honestly, and I get called a hater for it.
they're commodities to be traded, only thing that matters is making the team better, no one is above the team, or at least shouldn't be...........

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
There's no more tinkering to be done. Our issue is our offense doesn't work and we have invested all our money into it.

Thankfully management seems to understand what the problem is, they came out and said "we can't score" and the powerplay was what, 5%?
It really is as simple as that. But the blind cannot see.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
No kidding. Where were Dallas and Vancouver 5 years ago? Edmonton was on their 2nd round of high draft pick rebuilds. Florida was spinning their wheels. Vegas was expansion and doing better.
Like what do people need to see. A retirement party for the core. I guess that’s it? A big cake that says but we were right there?
and a handshake retirement cake.............

1715713688063.png

Just tell Ferris to go find a team that he willing to extend with and work out a contract. I heard there are 28 teams lining up to pay him to find out if he can break through in the playoffs. Piece of cake.
should be easy...........

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
They've tried it and got it wrong, I'm sure things would have been much better had they got it right.
I think, and still think, they got a lot right with the roster they went into the playoffs with last year - strength down the middle, utility in their bottom 6, timely depth goal scorers, strong special teams.

They still mucked it up.

Reactions: saffronleaf

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think, and still think, they got a lot right with the roster they went into the playoffs with last year - strength down the middle, utility in their bottom 6, timely depth goal scorers, strong special teams.

They still mucked it up.
Even with the offense drying up I think they get past Boston if they ran with Woll.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The Frederic goal in Game 3.
The Lindholm goal in Game 7.

Backbreakers, that just can't go in.
Game 3 turned the series, IMO.
They won game 2 and were dominating game 3 until that moment.
Those are too hard to come back from and it's happened here since Andersen

Mar 26, 2010
I don’t think Marner is a tradable asset. No GM is going to want him. Most likely scenario is that Toronto will have to add a sweetener to move his contract. Likely have to retain around $4 million on top of that.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I don’t think Marner is a tradable asset. No GM is going to want him. Most likely scenario is that Toronto will have to add a sweetener to move his contract. Likely have to retain around $4 million on top of that.
Then why do people keep saying we will have to pay him 12 million to keep him? We only have to pay him as much as other teams would be willing to give him so if no team would take him at 10 mil then why do we have to pay him 12?

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

The sweetener will hurt if it comes to this. How many high draft picks can the Leafs give away?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad