Player Discussion Marner Talk - Fresh, insightful comments are welcome

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Leafs could also take on an LTIR contract coming back a la Nathon Horton. Would likely need to have some cap hit coming back for another team to absorb Mitch 's AAV

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Sometime your organization hits a wall and changes need to be made. Just because you draft in 2014, 15, 16 doesn’t mean that’s it. Sorry pal, you have to win with this. You have to analyze what it looks like with a good sample size. We’ve over analyzed at this point.

Shanahan should understand this. The Wings had to do it. 30 goal scorer Shepard out for Larionov, Primeau and Coffey out for Shanny, harder to play against with guys like Rouse, McCarty, Draper, etc. You have to evolve.

While we have been analyzing for 5,6,7,8 times, other teams have gone away and come back further than us.
Yup, while Leafs management has been paralyzed with fear others have gotten better or made changes and stayed better

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
The Domi-Matthews-Bertuzzi line single-handedly won game 2 for the Leafs...and then Matthews missed almost 2 and a half games due to illness/injury...wasn't 100% in game 7, yet still assisted Willy for the first goal in game 7...Willy also won game 6 for the Leafs after missing a few games from the start due to illness...meanwhile in game 7, Swayman gifted Marner the puck for a goal, but instead of tucking it shortside for a goal, Marner decides to take the long route around the back of net missing the opportunity entirely...all because he was afraid to take a hit...this is game 7, and that's how Marner still plays...it's embarrassing that he wears an "A" and makes so much money.
Even more embarrassing is the fact he had to negotiate the "A" into his contract...

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
He needs to be gone before July 1st so we know who we can resign. Most in the media think he will waive once he realizes he is no longer wanted.
I was thinking about both MM and JT and the waiving of the NMC they have. I speculate that if one waives...they both waive because neither wants to be the guy left here doomed to repeat the last 7yrs. If JT goes and MM stays...and we do the usual 1st rd hustle...people will blame MM and same thing vice versa. Hopefully they both waive and we win and everybody just speculates that it was just the cap room of $22M that did the trick.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
No one likes Ferris .. man of few friends .. but he did excellent for Mitch
He may have done well for Mitch financially speaking...but he also torched Taylor Hall by the same greedy method. Hall is now playing on a bottom feeding Chicago team because of the galaxy brain shit that Ferris told him to do contract wise.

Last edited:

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
He needs to be gone before July 1st so we know who we can resign. Most in the media think he will waive once he realizes he is no longer wanted.
If they wait til after or on July 1 to execute the deal then they can pay his final signing bonus and probably increase his value especially if you want to mix in a third or fourth team to retain on the contract and maximize value
Yup, while Leafs management has been paralyzed with fear others have gotten better or made changes and stayed better
Paralysis from analysis or as my old
man used to say and this is the PG version safe for here “stinking from thinking” and the whole organization currently stinks

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
No one likes Ferris .. man of few friends .. but he did excellent for Mitch
He didn’t really.

He pressured a newbie GM to sign a deal his player couldn’t live up to.

Ferris better know that Mitch can’t mentally handle pressure. The pressure if Marner is still on the roster will be endless. His client will perform poorly and degrade his long term value. Everyone knows it’s time to move on.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
If he decides to stay then there is nothing Leafs can do but let him sit at home which likely helps out no one .. we lose some regular season points and he loses his game .. so it becomes bad for everyone .. hopefully he will agree to a trade so we can get assets which will help team in playoff hockey .. my point was teams already in playoffs will not have any interest in him due to his CAP hit and his lack of ability to play playoff hockey .. so really you are talking about a select group of teams like a Philli or Seattle who he would help make playoffs .. those teams will see value .. so will teams at bottom but Mitch likely won't want to go to a cellar dweller .. it won't be easy to get something done

LOL, NO. If he stays he plays.

Up until a few months ago, I would have agreed with this. But, after what I saw in the playoffs this year, I became convinced that not even a coaching change will make a difference with this core. It’s time to move on from at least 1 of them
I have seen some remarkable changes in players when a new coach comes to town over the years. Some for the better some for the worse. I would roll the dice. You would not I can see that point of view too.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
Marner did "flourish" during the regular season. You think Keefe had some bizarre coaching methods that enabled Marner to flourish during the regular season but held him back in the playoffs? Careful you don't strain yourself doing all this intense stretching. ;)
Hoping is not stretching.

I didn't feel he grew his game this regular season. With the injury he never seemed to really get back on track after that.

Reactions: arso40

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
I didn't feel he grew his game this regular season. With the injury he never seemed to really get back on track after that.

His game will NEVER work on the current roster in the playoffs. Ever. He could make another team better - BUT NOT the LEAFS.

He has no future here.

Face facts.

Change is needed. Marner is gone. Time to negotiate. Ferris could destroy his mentally weak client if this drags on into October. The kid can’t handle the pressure.

There is no retool without trading Marner. It has to happen.

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
Why do people think Marner will get better in the postseason? He is slow, weak and can't shoot.

Those seem like 3 pretty critical skills to me.

Reactions: arso40

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Why do people think Marner will get better in the postseason? He is slow, weak and can't shoot.

Those seem like 3 pretty critical skills to me.
He also lack IQ and resilience needed for playoff hockey.

Marner is insanely skilled but his biggest deficiency is between his ears and it will always limit what he can actually become.

We need a much smarter and rounded player from a $12m player than we have in Marner.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
If our 47 million dollar core of elite goal scorers could get more than one goal it wouldn't matter. Instead you blame it on a 3 million dollar goalie who allowed ONE GOAL in regulation time in game 7.

Your schtick is a failure.
I'm not absolving the core of the blame - but there's plenty of blame to go around. The types of goals that I mentioned, were also goals that Swayman just wasn't giving up in the series. That makes a huge difference in such a tight series. It's also why Samsonov won't be getting re-upped here.

Reactions: ACC1224

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
His game will NEVER work on the current roster in the playoffs. Ever. He could make another team better - BUT NOT the LEAFS.

He has no future here.

Face facts.

Change is needed. Marner is gone. Time to negotiate. Ferris could destroy his mentally weak client if this drags on into October. The kid can’t handle the pressure.

There is no retool without trading Marner. It has to happen.

Shipping him out might also send a message to the rest of the team.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I wonder if Marner would waive for New Jersey. I’d do a deal centered around Marner for John Marino and the 10th overall pick

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad