OT: MIchigan Sports Thread: UM wins Natty Championship

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
They’re actually looking pretty competitive this season…
Yep, I was debating getting the baseball package this year before I was given it for free, and I have enjoyed several Tigers games so far, including that Flaherty gem the other day. Skubal and Greene have both been a joy to watch too. Wish Keith would get going. This Perez kid has been a nice surprise so far.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Don't ick someone else's yum.
I just wish there was a consistency in sports coverage. People can like whatever they like, but baseball tends to be the sport that gets played during the day instead of the evening, has a longer season with more games, and in general tends to overlap other sports.

Example: I'm totally fine with the logic that playoff baseball trumps early season fall sports for media coverage. It's the post season and the games matter more, whether you like the sport or not. But when hockey playoffs come around, there's still a media blitz for the start of MLB, even to the point that sometimes hockey games get pushed to other channels or networks. Which goes against the logic of which games matter more.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I just wish there was a consistency in sports coverage. People can like whatever they like, but baseball tends to be the sport that gets played during the day instead of the evening, has a longer season with more games, and in general tends to overlap other sports.

Example: I'm totally fine with the logic that playoff baseball trumps early season fall sports for media coverage. It's the post season and the games matter more, whether you like the sport or not. But when hockey playoffs come around, there's still a media blitz for the start of MLB, even to the point that sometimes hockey games get pushed to other channels or networks. Which goes against the logic of which games matter more.

so you want there to be 162 NHL games a season, be played during the day, and for it to get as much attention as a league with twice as much revenue?

you sure don't ask for much

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
so you want there to be 162 NHL games a season, be played during the day, and for it to get as much attention as a league with twice as much revenue?

you sure don't ask for much
No. I want NHL playoff hockey to not get bumped for (relatively) meaningless April baseball. Be consistent that post season games in any sport are given priority over regular season games, which in turn are given priority over any preseason games. But for some reason, the first month of baseball is given disproportionate coverage.

There isn't the "opening day is a holiday" mentality in football. There isn't the equivalent of "pitchers and catchers are reporting" in basketball. MLB just gets treated differently.

I get that hockey is clearly #4. But playoff hockey is the most intense form of the sport and the best case to market it, and that can't happen if the networks keep insisting on treating a random Pirates/Marlins game like a bigger event than an NHL playoff series.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Yep, I was debating getting the baseball package this year before I was given it for free, and I have enjoyed several Tigers games so far, including that Flaherty gem the other day. Skubal and Greene have both been a joy to watch too. Wish Keith would get going. This Perez kid has been a nice surprise so far.
PNG%20image.png

👀

Hopefully Torkelson can get going. He's looking like a bust.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
random cool story I saw:

some Lions fan was seen on TV at the draft making fun of their Packers fan buddy's disappointment at their first round pick

anyways apparently Kerby Joseph got in touch with him and sent him the pair of cleats he wore when he got a couple interceptions against Aaron Rodgers a couple years back

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Hmm Pistons 14 wins 5th overall, Hawks 36 wins 1st overall.

Cool cool.
I've yet to see a lottery in any sport that is well conceptualized, let alone well executed.

If you have the worst record, you get the first pick. And if you are clearly throwing games, you forfeit your pick altogether. Punish specific bad behavior, not organically bad teams in general.

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I've yet to see a lottery in any sport that is well conceptualized, let alone well executed.

If you have the worst record, you get the first pick. And if you are clearly throwing games, you forfeit your pick altogether. Punish specific bad behavior, not organically bad teams in general.
Agreed. Punish teams that continue to lose, not teams that have a bad season or two. Nobody should get five or six firsts in a row (looking at you, Oilers) or be rewarded for blatant tanking (looking at you, Sabres) but you shouldn't punish the teams that naturally decline and need the help getting out of the tank.

Hell, in MLB I'm a huge Cleveland fan and while I'm thrilled to have 1OA in the draft this summer, our 76-86 record from last year wasn't nearly as bad as other teams even in the AL Central.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad