OT: MLB Thread 2024

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Soto is a game changer.

His presence has turned volpe into a star and Judge is as good as ever.
And they actually have some decent pitching this season. Although I expected guys like Rodon, Gil and Schmidt to drop off quite a bit at some point. Getting Cole back should negate a lot of that though

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
And they actually have some decent pitching this season. Although I expected guys like Rodon, Gil and Schmidt to drop off quite a bit at some point. Getting Cole back should negate a lot of that though

Rodon is due for regression and Schmidt is out for a few months so that will do it.

Gil is due a bit of a slide but not much. His analytics are almost as good as his raw numbers.

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey

Volpe, Soto, Judge destroying souls at the top of the lineup. Verdugo and Stanton can just chill and do their thing. Hopefully Torres can remove his head from his rear eventually. Have The Martian™ tearing it up during his rehab stint and waiting in the wings. This is fun. Please continue this through October.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I don't care what their record is. The Yankees have to prove to me they can play offense in the playoffs.

They're just like the Rangers.
I’m not convinced any of Stanton, Rizzo, or DJ are above average MLB hitters at this point. I’d like to see Dominguez up here hitting every day so we know what we have in him before the deadline. Get him or Soto reps at first

Reactions: LeetchisGod

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
My condolences to all the Mets fans now that the Rangers are done.
It's better to just skip them this year or go to Citi and try the Rainbow Cookie Eggroll.

If Christian Scott isn't pitching it's useless. This is up there with 1993 Mets bad or the Grant's Tomb years from 1977 to 1983 aka when Seaver was gone.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
I don't care what their record is. The Yankees have to prove to me they can play offense in the playoffs.

They're just like the Rangers.
I think soto will be a big difference maker

I also love what verdugo is bringing both on offense and defense. I also think volpe’s taking a huge step. I really like what i’m seeing and I think a lot of that can work ij the playoffs.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Seems like just 1-2 years ago talking heads were talking about the Mets huge talent. What happened?

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Soto leaving the Yankees would be one of the dumber moves of all time. It's the perfect environment for his legacy.

More like the Yankees not doing everything they can to keep Soto in Pinstripes would be one of the dumber moves of all time. The only way he leaves is if the Yankees don't tender him a competitive offer.

Seems like just 1-2 years ago talking heads were talking about the Mets huge talent. What happened?
Yeah, what happened is it's really hard to predict how players will turn out. Feels like this is especially true in baseball (I dunno though). That's why I always am amused when people start talking about 3 to 5 years down the line.

For example, when the Yankees were going after Cole, there was a certain section of the fan base that said the Yankees couldn't "afford" to pay Cole and then keep all the future players coming up for new contracts in the next couple years. Distinctly remember cries of: 'Well there's Judge, Sanchez, and Torres! Are you prepared to lose one possibly two out of the three? The Yankees won't pay them all.' Fast-forward a couple years and one is a superstar fans wanted signed at all costs, another, fans wanted jettisoned to the moon, and the third has proved to be decidedly underwhelming for large stretches.

Cohen came in and tried to go the Geoge Steinbrenner route, redux 1980s. He failed to realize how that turned out for the Yankees. Don't own the team like a fan would because fans make dumb, reactive decisions. Luckily for Mets fans, I think Cohen realized it, pulled back the reigns and will try to build the team the right way. That'll take a little time unfortunately.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
More like the Yankees not doing everything they can to keep Soto in Pinstripes would be one of the dumber moves of all time. The only way he leaves is if the Yankees don't tender him a competitive offer.

Yeah, what happened is it's really hard to predict how players will turn out. Feels like this is especially true in baseball (I dunno though). That's why I always am amused when people start talking about 3 to 5 years down the line.

For example, when the Yankees were going after Cole, there was a certain section of the fan base that said the Yankees couldn't "afford" to pay Cole and then keep all the future players coming up for new contracts in the next couple years. Distinctly remember cries of: 'Well there's Judge, Sanchez, and Torres! Are you prepared to lose one possibly two out of the three? The Yankees won't pay them all.' Fast-forward a couple years and one is a superstar fans wanted signed at all costs, another, fans wanted jettisoned to the moon, and the third has proved to be decidedly underwhelming for large stretches.

Cohen came in and tried to go the Geoge Steinbrenner route, redux 1980s. He failed to realize how that turned out for the Yankees. Don't own the team like a fan would because fans make dumb, reactive decisions. Luckily for Mets fans, I think Cohen realized it, pulled back the reigns and will try to build the team the right way. That'll take a little time unfortunately.

I don't know that there is a right or wrong way in baseball.

You can build a young core of players and have them grow together into becoming a machine (Houston, ignoring the shady shit that they did), develop a solid mix of good young players and veteran adds (Atlanta) or just go on a spending spree and build a championship team (Texas, who went from losing 100 to spending eleventy billion dollars to winning 2 years later.)

3 divergent routes and they all ended up with success in the end.

Get good players and the rest generally follows.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I don't know that there is a right or wrong way in baseball.

You can build a young core of players and have them grow together into becoming a machine (Houston, ignoring the shady shit that they did), develop a solid mix of good young players and veteran adds (Atlanta) or just go on a spending spree and build a championship team (Texas, who went from losing 100 to spending eleventy billion dollars to winning 2 years later.)

3 divergent routes and they all ended up with success in the end.

Get good players and the rest generally follows.
I kind of agree? Because the third option is the hot shot success option, but does it deliver a good likelihood of long-term success? We'll see with the Rangers who are now back to a .500 team so far this year. I'm more calling into question the throw everything at a whole bunch of high-priced FAs with stars in your eyes and no concept of team structure or if said FAs are actually worth it. A lot of the Yankees 1980s (and low-key early 2000s) model. I'm just more of a fan of building a base while supplementing with the right FAs throughout the process. Cohen's money best used as an accelerant rather than the basis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad