Player Discussion Morgan Rielly

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He looks like a number 3 defenseman who doesn't belong on the special teams, isn't strong defensively and not physical, and about to get stripped of more offensive responsibilities and privileges. That's quite a workaround on a 6 man unit. He's gotta go.

Agreed.

That is why players like McCabe, Simon Benoit, Joel Edmundson & Ilya Lyubushkin excelled in the playoffs and why Rielly and Liljegren struggled and a why TJ Brodie sat in the pressbox.

So its no surprise hear his name along with Liljegren and Brodie all on the shopping trade bait list on players expected to be moved on from if possible this summer and change coming,

He is a #3 Dman sheltered from PK and limited on the PP and certainly not asked to be on a shutdown pairing either 5v5 hockey, and his non physical play can only be sheltered so much when the opposition dictates how to deploy him to avoid the least amout on damage defensively.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
When you watch the lateral dynamism of a PPQB in Quinn Hughes, Miro Heiskanen, Cale Makar, Adam Fox, Brandon Montour, Gustav Forsling, Devon Toews, even Samuel Girard, those guys are very deceptive in foot work and can create little gaps from the point, lose coverage for a second, get a shot on net. With Rielly, it just looks like when he isn't on a tunnel vision rush he's not improvisational and looks like he's on a set of tracks with slow plodding puck moving tendencies. It looks like he has his head in the clouds or is thinking way too hard while making the same predictable plays.

he looks like a number 3 defenseman who doesn't belong on the special teams, isn't strong defensively and not physical, and about to get stripped of more offensive responsibilities and privileges. That's quite a workaround on a 6 man unit. He's gotta go.

Montour is in no way comparable to most of these other names.

Reactions: arso40

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Montour is in no way comparable to most of these other names.

Montour seems to be a guy a lot of fans are getting their backs up over... I'm not saying that's your clear cut Rielly replacement and the money question will be a factor, but his strengths and career trajectory is kind of the opposite of Rielly right now. Does everything at an explosive rate, generating from the back end, physical and nasty to compete against, high octane. Maybe not our guy but he's bringing a lot of nice things from the point.

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
We have a fine D corp if we just keep Edmonson, Mccabe, Benoit, Lilly and Lyubushkin and add Montour.

Rielly should go. He's gonna decline fast.

Lilly can handle PP2 duties. Give him a real shot. He's inconsistent. Struggles with injuries.

We wanna win? We need to be Vegas ruthless. Right now we get an asset for Rielly. In two years we pay someone to take him.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Montour seems to be a guy a lot of fans are getting their backs up over... I'm not saying that's your clear cut Rielly replacement and the money question will be a factor, but his strengths and career trajectory is kind of the opposite of Rielly right now. Does everything at an explosive rate, generating from the back end, physical and nasty to compete against, high octane. Maybe not our guy but he's bringing a lot of nice things from the point.

I’m actually fully on board with getting Montour. I’m just saying Montour isn’t in the same tier as the other guys you listed.

And I don’t think moving Rielly really makes sense. It’s going to be hard enough to get multiple defensemen to overhaul the backend of the lineup without moving out our best piece there on top of the rest of the work that needs to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad