Most overrated player in the NHL?

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
i hate the leafs and matthews but this and everyone saying matthews is just nonsensical reaching based on obvious bias.
I'm not biased. I just have been exposed to half a decade of talk about Matthews vs McDavid being the rivalry of the decade, about Matthews being the second best player in the league etc etc.

Being overrated doesn't imply that the player has to be bad. It just means that in relation to hype and drama surrounding a player, he fell short.

Crosby would also be overrated if people would have set him equal to Gretzky at the beginning of his career, if they made Gretzky his comparison – does this make him not the best player in the pre-McDavid decade? No.

The rating of a player is something merely discursive, people have opinions.
And to me, Matthews is the obvious player who didn't succeed and performed in relation to these opinions over the past years, which makes him overrated. And due to his annual playoff failures, he is leading my personal list of overrated players. Simply due to the fact that it happens year after year.

This doesn't make him less of a player. He is fantastic. But not compared to what people had idealized him to be.

Reactions: norrisnick

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Second among forwards in takeaways and blocked shots, fifth in even strength ice time, seventh in plus minus (Staal was -14 on Carolina somehow, don't see anyone complaining about this) etc.

Look, Barkov will win it, but there are stats that show that Matthews is good defensively, and among the top in the league in certain categories. Not really a big deal that he was a finalist only to come 2nd or 3rd. People need to relax (not you).

Takeaways, okay. Ice time and plus minus are not anything you should consider when determining how good a player is defensively. Matthews is obviously one of the best offensive players on earth, of course his +/- should look good and he should see a lot of ice time. It's when you look at the stats against where he sticks out like a sore thumb. And it would've been one thing if you could see that he had those same numbers but were head and shoulders above his teammates. That's not the case here though. Marner's numbers are basically the same. So are many other player's stats on the Leafs. I just don't believe you should get Selke consideration based on your TK/GV ratio.

you sure about that?

Natural Stat Trick seems to be.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The bigger fanbase, the bigger overrate. You won't believe how Habs fans praise their average players.

As a Bruins fan, yes I do.

I feel like almost every Montreal prospect follows the same trajectory with the fanbase. They show any initial promise, they get touted as a franchise saver. Then when inevitably said player does meet those unfair expectations, they are run out of town.

Feel like Xhekaj is at the beginning of this road currently.

Reactions: StrBender

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad