OT: Music Part V

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki time soon.
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Where did you find these guys? Oh, I see, from the Netherlands (your specialty 😉).

Astrosoniq's musical style is characterized by extremely psychedelic guitar riffs. The result is stoner rock with a space flavor. It integrates sound clips from old movies, Wonder Woman episodes and other sources. Most continue the themes of fantasy and space.

The band cites classic heavy rock artists as their influences, which can be seen in the heavy guitar riffs and drums.

Some interesting sounds and riffs but could have used some tightening up.

Reminds me of jams I used to have when I was in a band — guitar player would start with a concept and we’d try to build it up and it led to a lot of the type of free styling you find in this cut, all too often stagnating on certain sequences due to hitting a wall and not being able to come up with a suitable progression on the spot. I miss those days.

Band has been active since 1999 and have released 7 albums. Why this cut — is it their best? What others stand out? Thx in advance.
Find them? Having a lot of family and friends scattered throughout the country it's easy to hear stuff not known until spending time with them and some radio stations play all sorts of stuff. I gather you've never heard of them? What about the guitarist Rob van Herpen? he's very well know globally for his music and the bands he was in. So I guess you never heard of The Devils Blood? I posted a piece not long ago. TDB was very well known and only stopped upon the creators death ( Selmin Lemouchi ) His sister was a vocalist in the band and a few years ago they got together and formed a new band called Molassess. I'll put up a track. Ron was in another band called RRRags that was popular. I'll add a track. Thing is today with internet, bands are getting more exposure and now some of the music is leaking out of the Netherlands, although the NL has always had a vibrant and top quality music scene regardless of genre or language unbeknownst to many outsiders. In fact, there is no enticement to grow out of the NL as bands make a good living as it is and can do all the gigs they want and can even be back at their own home that night if they want, so tiny in area but very high population density.:nod:

Some of the guys I was hanging with a while back in Quebec are familiar with some of the bands ( I mentioned this in an earlier post or to maybe to skippy or whatever the name is ) that I showed a bunch videos of other bands to the guys, some I already have posted and I'm sure you can find what was posted, and it's compelled a few of them to come over for a visit and see some festivals and some solo shows as a great fun time is, a great fun time. :yo:

Tightening up? everyone's a critic right, I'll be sure to mention this to Ron when our paths cross. Kind of like how I wish someone had told John Bonham to wrap up the Mobby Dick solo and spice it up some.;)

Anyways, there is an interview with Ron van Herpen kicking around that I heard years ago, might add some insight to what you brought up and address what you've mentioned. And as always, we are all unique and are Multicolors. Hit it Camiel!:cheer::laugh:

Reactions: Runner77

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018

I know this is from before they installed the infamous roof at Montreal olympic stadium that didn't work right. An outdoor hockey game in Montreal vs. toronto would be amazing there.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Midlife crisis in full effect with the number of guitars I bought the last 2 years. (I'm a Fender nerd). I am currently playing bass in a band too, rocking my 2005 USA Fender P, but goddammit, I'm here listening to Habs podcasts browsing basses like I need another.

Anyone else in a similar boat?

• Love

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Midlife crisis in full effect with the number of guitars I bought the last 2 years. (I'm a Fender nerd). I am currently playing bass in a band too, rocking my 2005 USA Fender P, but goddammit, I'm here listening to Habs podcasts browsing basses like I need another.

My son chose music as a profession and exhibits similar behavior (even if he’s ways away from midlife). It’s a great way to starve yourself financially into something, I suppose. I never made good money from it but had so much fun doing live gigs that I didn’t mind it.

He’s smitten with Musicman gear. I helped him buy his first guitar when he started and he’s since bought a Majesty, a JP6, a JP7 and a Bongo bass. He still calls me whenever he’s considering buying more, lol. I warned him that there is only a limited window for him to do this before he moves in with his GF. :D

I was the same as you when I was playing in bands — buying gear is addictive. I should have owned shares in my local music store, I used to go there every week.

Enjoy it while you continue to have a passion for it. My only regret was giving up playing not buying gear.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: FloJack

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
My son chose music as a profession and exhibits similar behavior (even if he’s ways away from midlife). It’s a great way to starve your way into something, I suppose. I never made good money from it but had so much fun doing live gigs that I didn’t mind it.

He’s smitten with Musicman gear. I helped him buy his first guitar when he started and he’s bought a Majesty, a JP6, a JP7 and a Bongo bass. He still calls me whenever he’s considering buying more, lol. I warned him that there is only a limited window for him to do this before he moves in with his GF. :D

I was the same as you when I was playing in bands — buying gear is addictive. I should have owned shares in my local music store, I used to go there every week.

Enjoy it while you continue to have a passion for it. My only regret was giving up playing not buying gear.
I love hearing this, thanks for sharing. I've read a few proud papa posts from you but never heard those origin stories.

I've always been an avid music fan, and somewhat snob as you know, but I've actually only got back into playing in the last 4 years or so after ignoring it for a while. Being super critical I was like, well I'm not really reinventing any wheels here, so what's the point, and I've come to realize how stupid and short sighted that is. You should be doing everything for yourself at all times. It's been lots of fun to play again. So maybe you can still have a renaissance yourself my friend?????? :DD

Last edited:
  • Love

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I love hearing this, thanks for sharing. I've read a few proud papa posts from you but never heard those origin stories.

I've always been an avid music fan, and somewhat snob as you know, but I've actually only got back into playing in the last 4 years or so after ignoring it for a while. Being super critical I was like, well I'm not really reinventing any wheels here, so what's the point, and I've come to realize how stupid and short sighted that is. You should be doing everything for yourself at all times. It's been lots of fun to play again. So maybe you can still have a renaissance yourself my friend?????? :DD
Everyone’s proud of their kids but I love my kids first and foremost cause they are kind and care about others. The music they do is just fun for me to watch and see where it goes, but doesn’t define them. I just hope it wasn’t me who influenced their path into music as it’s a lethally brutal business.

For musicians like you and I, it’s not our profession but it’s an amazing sideline that can be enriching in so many ways. Some of the connections you make can last a lifetime. Or it can just be the love of practising and jamming now and again.

Schlepping drums around was a huge chore, esp. after a gig, coming home tired at 3AM. Had zero support from my parents for playing music in my teenage years, they did everything to make my life miserable and kept saying that I’d turn into a druggie if I kept going and this despite the fact that I never even did drugs or smoked.

Not having an encouraging environment can be devastating. I saw it as just another challenge and kept playing throughout my university years and only gave it up a short time after I got married. My priorities changed — the long hours at work and not wanting to sacrifice the little family time I had available caused me to sell my gear, a decision that pains me to this day.

So a big yes to all you’ve been doing musically. I’m reliving my passion for music vicariously these days, by attending live acts (Mtl’s Jazz Fest coming up soon), viewing online videos and music documentaries. It doesn’t replace the joy of playing but it helps me stay plugged into what’s going on and for now, it’s probably as good as it’s gonna get. Enjoy it all you can, while you can. :)

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki time soon.
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Find them? Having a lot of family and friends scattered throughout the country it's easy to hear stuff not known until spending time with them and some radio stations play all sorts of stuff. I gather you've never heard of them? What about the guitarist Rob van Herpen? he's very well know globally for his music and the bands he was in. So I guess you never heard of The Devils Blood? I posted a piece not long ago. TDB was very well known and only stopped upon the creators death ( Selmin Lemouchi ) His sister was a vocalist in the band and a few years ago they got together and formed a new band called Molassess. I'll put up a track. Ron was in another band called RRRags that was popular. I'll add a track. Thing is today with internet, bands are getting more exposure and now some of the music is leaking out of the Netherlands, although the NL has always had a vibrant and top quality music scene regardless of genre or language unbeknownst to many outsiders. In fact, there is no enticement to grow out of the NL as bands make a good living as it is and can do all the gigs they want and can even be back at their own home that night if they want, so tiny in area but very high population density.:nod:

Some of the guys I was hanging with a while back in Quebec are familiar with some of the bands ( I mentioned this in an earlier post or to maybe to skippy or whatever the name is ) that I showed a bunch videos of other bands to the guys, some I already have posted and I'm sure you can find what was posted, and it's compelled a few of them to come over for a visit and see some festivals and some solo shows as a great fun time is, a great fun time. :yo:

Tightening up? everyone's a critic right, I'll be sure to mention this to Ron when our paths cross. Kind of like how I wish someone had told John Bonham to wrap up the Mobby Dick solo and spice it up some.;)

Anyways, there is an interview with Ron van Herpen kicking around that I heard years ago, might add some insight to what you brought up and address what you've mentioned. And as always, we are all unique and are Multicolors. Hit it Camiel!:cheer::laugh:

Had a chance to find some stuff, here's the interview I mentioned.

ugh-gross.gif

:laugh:

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki time soon.
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

I know this is from before they installed the infamous roof at Montreal olympic stadium that didn't work right. An outdoor hockey game in Montreal vs. toronto would be amazing there.

Can it handle it? I remember locking eyes with Mick Jagger during 2000 light years from and wondering if the big O would collapse. That Olympics was really pathetic, made Montreal an all world embarrassment.
Remember leading up to the Olympics in the early 70's when Montreal had many major construction projects going on, the Olympics facilities, Autoroute 13 and Mirabel airport to name a few. We would occasionally fly over the sights and snap photos. It was a great time and Montreal was a city to be envied particularly after Expo 67, but sadly it all went wrong and lost it's potential.... and we all know who to thank.:nod:

Heed the Docs sage advice.:laugh::thumbu::thumbu:

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

I'm not quite middle aged but I wouldn't hate seeing a picture of the guitar collection 👀.

I'm more of an ibanez/esp guy. Lower / mid range stuff, though. My most recent pickup was a RGRT421 so that I could have something hanging around that was always down tuned. My ESP has a floyd rose so messing with tunings on it is kind of a hassle.

I'm way past due getting my chops back. I've been on/off for over a decade. That you're still playing around with other people justifies the continued purchases, IMO. If your wife complains, tell her you're manifesting not buying a boat. She'll get it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad