New York City Thread: Part IV (Info in OP)

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I'll throw out a few random suggestions then.

- The Neue Galerie has beautiful artwork and architecture, and isn't a full day's commitment to run around. Klimt is a master.
- You're not too far from my favorite pizza places, Rubirosa/Joe & Pat's (basically the same pizza; Rubirosa's vodka pie is marginally better but it's also more annoying to get into).
- Russ & Daughter's is the classic appetizing place in the city. Amazing lox.
- Maybe you want to go shopping for a bit? Economy Candy is cool. Fishs Eddy has all sorts of eclectic NY stuff. Self Edge and Blue in Green are great for high end menswear.
- Thai Diner and Superiority Burger are both new, very popular, and not too expensive while being close by.
- Head down to Brooklyn Heights, walk the promenade, go down into Brooklyn Bridge Park and swing by Jane's Carousel into Dumbo and take that same photo everyone takes on Front Street. Or maybe go the other direction and take out pasta from Lilo's and eat outdoors by Pier 5.
- Maybe you want to go to a viewing platform to see the world from up high; I'd recommend Summit which is very tall, right by Grand Central, and gives you three floors of views to check out.

As me tomorrow and I might give you a totally different list though :)
They recently opened a new location where I work in Hudson yards - 34th and 10th. Walk the highline from 14th to get there. The vessel is right there (closed because of jumpers) but you can also go to the edge for a great view of the city (Edge Observation Deck NYC) and you can climb along the tower outside if you're daring (City Climb). Neither is free.

From there it's a quick walk to MSG and you'll pass by an NHL store in Manhattan West Plaza between 10th and 9th ave.

Reactions: Greg02

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Is this your guys visiting thread?

I've been to NYC multiple times, but am going back in mid June (19th to 22nd). I have a small list of things I have to see (Moma, The Met, Yankee stadium, and possibly a concert at Blue Note Jazz Club). Anything people have as must sees. I already have a list of food places to hit that has more places than meals I'll be there for (lol). Staying at the Indigo in Lower East Side a block from Katz's (Katz's was a selling point). An example of places I'm trying to go to are Katz's, 2nd Ave Deli, Red Hook Tavern, Faiccio's and one or two legendary Pizza spots (Luigi's in Brooklyn, John of Bleecker Street, UNA in LES, etc.). Did Peter Lugar's last time I was there.

I've had success in threads like these for Chicago, LA and Buffalo, so curious to hear some suggestions on places to visit or must try restaurants/food spots (not trying to do anything crazy expensive, at most I might do Porterhouse Grill). Looking more for those low key mom and pop places whether they be fast food type spots or just low key.

edit: Oh, as an opposing fan (as obvious by my username), congrats on your playoff run, hopefully they are still playing when I visit (and I can take out a 2nd mortgage to finally see MSG jks).
Not sure how you’re planning to get to Red Hook but my recommendation would be taking the ferry from Pier 11 in the Financial District. Red Hook is a few stops south and it drops you off where you can walk through the town. If you’re looking for other places to eat/drink in Red Hook, San Pedro Inn is a dive bar but they have some of the best margaritas and tacos I’ve had in the city. Would also recommend checking out some of the art galleries in Red Hook if you’re going to make the trip there.

In the Lower Eastside, some of my can’t miss places would be Ye’s Apothecary, Wayla, Apokethe in Chinatown, Scarr’s Pizza, Sami and Susu

I would also vouch for Thai Dinner, although I will say it’s a super popular spot and depending on when you go it can be tough to get in without a res. If you want really great Thai food but not the hype and wait of Thai Dinner, check out Lovely Day. It’s 2/3 min walk from where Thai Dinner is and is just as good in my opinion.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not sure how you’re planning to get to Red Hook but my recommendation would be taking the ferry from Pier 11 in the Financial District. Red Hook is a few stops south and it drops you off where you can walk through the town. If you’re looking for other places to eat/drink in Red Hook, San Pedro Inn is a dive bar but they have some of the best margaritas and tacos I’ve had in the city. Would also recommend checking out some of the art galleries in Red Hook if you’re going to make the trip there.

In the Lower Eastside, some of my can’t miss places would be Ye’s Apothecary, Wayla, Apokethe in Chinatown, Scarr’s Pizza, Sami and Susu

I would also vouch for Thai Dinner, although I will say it’s a super popular spot and depending on when you go it can be tough to get in without a res. If you want really great Thai food but not the hype and wait of Thai Dinner, check out Lovely Day. It’s 2/3 min walk from where Thai Dinner is and is just as good in my opinion.
I'm actually visiting to see a close friend who got his PHD recently and is now moving to Texas for a tenure track gig. He lives out near Prospect Park, so I'll be visiting him in Brooklyn one or two times or he'll come to meet me. My guess is I'll go to his place and we'll uber or something. But, if not I'll keep your recommendation in mind. I'm taking them to Red Hook Tavern, and I want to go to Hometown BBQ if I have the time (I'm a big BBQ buff).

Thanks for the recommendations. I always love hearing what locals are recommending rather than ending up in typical tourist spots.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022

more LES/alphabet city recs: ishida, scarrs, chicken parm at supper, sesame noodle and crispy beef at hwa yuan down on e broadway. lil bit north go get B&h dairy for lunch - tuna melt w soup.

Reactions: FUZfan and 93LEAFS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad