Speculation: Next head coach of the San Jose Sharks

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Excellent analysis
Solid breakdown. What you are forgetting is that Sturm has much more overall professional experience (30+ years of it). That matters, especially when dealing with NHL players. Even from a developmental perspective, Warsofsky might give the better advice, but Sturm would be better for getting adherence. In some ways Sturm is the safer choice.

Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I think one of the reasons Sturm is being considered as such a good fit is also because he has lived experience being one of two excellent rookies (him and Patty) joining a rebuilding team and seeing some success in the first 5 years of his career in SJ. So it's the ability to speak from experience, which if he can do effectively, is powerful.

I have no preference between either candidate at this point.
And yeah, I loved Marco Sturm as a Shark before many of you were born
I don't know that there are many people here under the age of 28, but maybe. Most of us seem to have been around and posting as adults since the 2005-2015 heyday meaning most of us are in our 30s or older.

Reactions: Sandisfan

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
…I don't know that there are many people here under the age of 28, but maybe. Most of us seem to have been around and posting as adults since the 2005-2015 heyday meaning most of us are in our 30s or older.

Yeah all you’se chumps are super old. I only post here when I’m bored of the twittersnaps, instabooks, and Whatmaps.

No cap.

giphy.gif

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
So I don’t want to play this up as too big of a deal, but Sturm had a long and successful career in the NHL. I’m not saying it trumps other aspects, or that it’s requisite experience for a HC role; but it’s not nothing and having experience playing under successful coaches is relevant experience to include on Sturm’s resume. Framing it as 2 years vs 9 isn’t IMO an accurate portrayal what Sturm is bringing to the table.

In before anyone accuses me of being a Sturm stan; I’m happy these are the two finalists and have no qualms with either Warsofsky or Sturm.

Solid breakdown. What you are forgetting is that Sturm has much more overall professional experience (30+ years of it). That matters, especially when dealing with NHL players. Even from a developmental perspective, Warsofsky might give the better advice, but Sturm would be better for getting adherence. In some ways Sturm is the safer choice.

I'm not forgetting his long successful NHL career. Like I said, I was a big Sturm fan ever since he was drafted by the Sharks. But that's another reason I keep saying War is the next Jon Cooper. Cooper never played in the NHL. Only high school and club hockey at Hofstra. But Cooper is the gold standard of NHL coaches right now. The gold standard for NHL coaches might as well have never played hockey in his life when you compare his hockey playing to most NHL HCs. Most HC's might of had a cup of coffee or got stuck playing in ECHL, and then you have the former NHL players turned coaches.

And yeah, Cooper is an outlier. But I think War is the next Cooper. Even if Sturm is the next Brind'Amour, I (and we should all) want the next Cooper as our #1 choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: WSS11

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Isn’t there a *unspoken* NHL rule that teams can’t make announcements or trades during the SCF? (Which is why they’ve spread the finals out over a month)
No. They prefer that any hiring/signing news cycle does not take away from SCF game news.

Given that tomorrow is a travel day/day off and then another off day before game 3 in Edmonton, there might be some announcements. (Hearing that Carolina may have their new GM.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad