NHL TV ratings 2023/2024

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
Is there a reason why the game is on TNT and TruTV at the same time? Seems crazy to split the viewership.
WBD changed things this year introducing in the US the TNT Sports umbrella for every sports production they have. In other countries like the UK, Brazil, Mexico they have the TNT Sports network for sports instead of using regular TNT so it's a mix of both things.

Reactions: varsaku

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
It's a simulcast. It actually adds to the viewership.
I would assume it would be better to have all hockey viewership on one channel and put some other programing on truTV to get non hockey viewers. The net total should should be more than this current process.

Is it that big a surprise though? 2 Canadian team and one of them isn’t Toronto, casual fans just don’t care about Edmonton or Vancouver even with McDavid
Stars unfortunately don't move the needle with casual fans but teams do as evident with Bruins and Rangers numbers.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
I would assume it would be better to have all hockey viewership on one channel and put some other programing on truTV to get non hockey viewers. The net total should should be more than this current process.

Nah, same ad inventory. Whether hockey viewership is on TNT, TBS or truTV it all counts the same for WBD & Nielsen counts it the same.

Edit to add: It's not a "problem" but it's an annoyance in how media reports the #'s. It's inaccurate. Take Thursday for example, NYR-CAR went to OT so COL-DAL started on truTV, so for that period of time each game was NOT being simulcast (different runtimes.)

Media doesn't care because in the end it's just "NHL hockey on TNT Sports" Nielsen numbers and the final averages and PR #'s are going to count all the #'s [including for their reporting] anyway. So they report the combined numbers as if they were full simulcasts. Except, they weren't.

NYR-CAR: 1.746M (TNT: 1.492M + truTV: 254k) but truTV didn't show OT so the true avg viewership of the game is 1.721M, which is also the # that could be pulled as an individual game broadcast out of the final averages (e.g. TNT Sports averaged x.xxxM per game for the 2024 Stanley Cup Playoffs.)

Same with COL-DAL: media reports it as 1.239M or 1.24M (TNT: 862k + truTV: 377k) but the game was on only on truTV and not TNT during part of the 1st period so they had different runtimes. The actual avg viewership of the game across both networks is 1.147M, which again is the # the game would get if you pulled it out of the Nielsen final averages (in the end they just add up all viewership from all networks and divide by the total runtime of the single network game broadcasts. So in this example the total runtime of the COL-DAL game is the truTV # since it was only on truTV for the entire game broadcast.)

How the numbers are reported is the only downside of the simulcasts, and it's something that maybe 2-3 of us actually care about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Across U.S. & Canada combined viewership for Oilers-Canucks series, so far:

Game 1: 3.196M
Game 2: 3.214M
Game 3: TBD (get U.S. #'s tomorrow)

Most-watched 2nd round series in NA so far. Which gives the series a little different narrative than otherwise get from a U.S.-centric POV.

Just to complete the EDM-VAN combined #'s across the U.S. & Canada:

Game 1: 3.196M
Game 2: 3.214M
Game 3: 2.980M

The gap between series wooof

Lead-ins matter, obviously, but I like (not necessarily this specific example, ha) when we get #'s like that to show to the people who wildly overstate lead-ins. Lot of people go crazy on that and almost always look at it from "audience-gained" POV while, as pointed out, I look at the audience lost.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Always excuses
What part of that is an "excuse?"

He said people dont care about Vancouver or Edmonton even with McDavid.

You constantly post about how the NHL doesnt market stars like McDavid.

In your rush to post your usual useless nonsense you failed to realize that this poster actually agrees with you.

Its honestly comedic how one note you and NextBigThing are.

Reactions: Reaser

Reaser

May 19, 2021
If you're doing the US+CAN numbers for EDM-VAN and saying it's the most watched, then you need to add the Canadian numbers to all the other US series to match them up

You're right. At the time of that post (before weekend #'s) I was probably applying too much common sense and logic.

Considering how much Canadians love watching all-U.S. Second Round Stanley Cup Playoffs series it's certainly feasible that the Rangers-Hurricanes series would be averaging the 1.33M up north needed across the first three games of that series to be more viewed across the U.S. & Canada than EDM-VAN was at the time I made that statement.

The same exact 1.33M average both the Canucks first round & Oilers first round series' averaged in Canada, and over 350k more than the Jets-Avs first round series averaged in Canada. Definitely seems likely NYR-CAR would be doing equal-to-better viewership numbers in Canada than series' involving Canadian teams.

I could have just been looking at the Devils-Canes Second Round Game 4 number from last year that did 762k in Canada (224k on CBC and 538k on SN) and thought replace NJD with NYR and nearly double the number, while doing that for the first 3-games of that series and concluding that EDM-VAN is probably the most-viewed series.

But I don't know for sure so yes, should have said "probably" the most-viewed series "through Friday."

I'll leave it to you to come up with the numbers that prove otherwise.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad