Confirmed with Link: Nichushkin back in assistance program; suspended a minimum of six months

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
where on earth are you getting the 3rd paragraph from?

Where did you see that no one else is getting tested? Doesn’t the CBA state that EVERY player gets tested 2 times per year?
Not for recreative drugs, they are getting tested for PEDs.

Can you imagine the number of positive tests they'd get every year if they tested everyone for cocaine?

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009

Can you imagine the number of positive tests they'd get every year if they tested everyone for cocaine?
I understand that, but Nuke brought on the drug testing himself.
Testing positive for a PED is a mandatory 20 game suspension. Nuke isn’t testing positive for PEDs.
He would also be absolutely fine IF he didn’t screw up and get the police and league involved. But once he is required to enter the PAP program, his testing is related to that specific program.

He brought it on himself by allowing his drug usage to spill over into a police issue.

What part of this whole fiasco since Seattle gives you any kind of impression that Nuke volunteered into the program?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I understand that, but Nuke brought on the drug testing himself.
Testing positive for a PED is a mandatory 20 game suspension. Nuke isn’t testing positive for PEDs.
He would also be absolutely fine IF he didn’t screw up and get the police and league involved. But once he is required to enter the PAP program, his testing is related to that specific program.

He brought it on himself by allowing his drug usage to spill over into a police issue.

What part of this whole fiasco since Seattle gives you any kind of impression that Nuke volunteered into the program?
I don't think he volunteered at all. I said earlier that the league probably forced the Avs to do it when the hotel thing went public. It was an easy way out for everyone since they could just answer it's personal stuff.

I don't know though because it's not public information.

Also I'm not excusing Val I'm saying the situation is f***ed up because right now for the casual fans it looks like he's getting punished because he asked for help.

They should tell us the truth.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don't think he volunteered at all. I said earlier that the league probably forced the Avs to do it when the hotel thing went public. It was an easy way out for everyone since they could just answer it's personal stuff.

Also I'm not excusing Val I'm saying the situation is f***ed up because right now for the casual fans it looks like he's getting punished because he asked for help.

How? Fines and suspension don’t even come up until you’ve been busted 3 times. That seems pretty reasonable.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
A buyout peaks at like 5/6mil per season and we’d be on the hook for like 14 years. A settlement from a termination wouldn’t be nearly as long.
I mean if a settlement is super short at 2M$ yeah it's great, I have no idea. But the first two years of a buyout would be better than that and that's our window. I wonder if we can "punt" the settlement down the road as to not affect our window for the next 3 years.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009

Ah ok, I seem to have misunderstood your original post then.

This situation seems no different than getting caught with a DUI. I’m sure lots of people drive when they shouldn’t, or least they drive even if they’re over the legal limit.
But once you get caught, the penalties change.

Had Nuke kept his usage under control and without external factors, I don’t believe any of this ever would have triggered.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
It’s not a hard decision. You terminate the contract. The uncertainty around Landeskog and Nichushkin has cost this team two seasons in a row.

Most importantly, Val can’t be counted on in the playoffs, that’s when he relapses.

Losing Nichushkin for nothing sucks, I don’t know if you can trade a suspended player, but I’d try that first. If that’s not possible, just cut him.

It will help navigate the salary cap issues.

The Avs have tried to help this guy multiple times. He’s not interested in help. He’s disgraced and embarrassed the team multiple times. He’s not fit to be an Av.
But he's the MVP of the team quite simple. This team doesn't make the playoffs without him.

Sad but true

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
But he's the MVP of the team quite simple. This team doesn't make the playoffs without him.

Sad but true
Come on man. This is hyperbole and I love Val, the player, he's a total unicorn in the league. Avs finished 15pts over the Blues, the best team to miss the playoffs. Val is not worth 8 extra wins and he's not the team MVP. If the Avs use his cap hit wisely as replacement they sleep walk into a playoff spot.

Reactions: katfude

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Come on man. This is hyperbole and I love Val, the player, he's a total unicorn in the league. Avs finished 15pts over the Blues, the best team to miss the playoffs. Val is not worth 8 extra wins and he's not the team MVP. If the Avs use his cap hit wisely as replacement they sleep walk into a playoff spot.
I think he's definitely worth 8 extra wins that's not hyperbole

He's worth 8 extra in a half season

And yeah quite frankly he's the team MVP. Without Mack or Cale this team does better than without Nuke. If he doesn't play then they fail, his record speaks for itself

They need him and when he goes off they lose

Reactions: cccoltsicehockey

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

They get tested for everything and the teams are given the results. There’s no chance the Avs didn’t know he was using when he signed the 8 year deal.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
where on earth are you getting the 3rd paragraph from?

Where did you see that no one else is getting tested? Doesn’t the CBA state that EVERY player gets tested 2 times per year?
Yup, and once in the program you’re gonna get more random UA’s

Just like those that get duis, have to call everyday to see if they have to go test

Because they can´t.

You are correct

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
They get tested for everything and the teams are given the results. There’s no chance the Avs didn’t know he was using when he signed the 8 year deal.
Eh, players get tested and they are tested at the same points, unless a player messes up or is dumb enough partake when the known test is coming. I’m sure the Avs have a lot of skeletons in the closet. So yes there is a chance the team didn’t know.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
This is correct... The NHL just doesn't really care about recreational drugs until they become an issue. This is also a reason why the Avs try to keep players out of the assistance program. Once you start that scrutiny, it is hard to remove a player from it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad