No Cinderella teams this year

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Flat-cap has hurt depth across-the-bar for many NHL teams. Anyone with contracts having to be resigned during all this was put in a pitch -vs- Any team who had good timing with contracts, and just starting successful runs, have/had better odds during flatten-cap era.

Flat-cap wasn't completely felt at 1st, but it's felt 10-fold now. There was more playoff NHL teams, that could made legit runs, before flat-cap neutered some teams more than others lately. Timing is sports has always mattered, where a organization was at during covid flat-cap is no different here. This flat-cap actually sped up breaking up of some established team-vs- Normal cap world. This hurt chances of closer playoff series early on..... There's even more angles with how flat-cap has hurt competitiveness across-the-board. Seems to be very top heavy league right now...

Last edited:

Nogatco Rd

noble man who is loved by many animal
Apr 3, 2021
Thanks a lot torts

IMG_4667.jpeg

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
With the loss of Boeser, the Canucks are now the cinderella team.
I'd argue they have been the whole season and into the playoffs too. Getting this far without arguably their best player Demko only strengthens the argument.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Flat-cap has hurt depth across-the-bar for many NHL teams. Anyone with contracts having to be resigned during all this was put in a pitch -vs- Any team who had good timing with contracts, and just starting successful runs, have/had better odds during flatten-cap era.

Flat-cap wasn't completely felt at 1st, but it's felt 10-fold now. There was more playoff NHL teams, that could made legit runs, before flat-cap neutered some teams more than others lately. Timing is sports has always mattered, where an organization was at during covid flat-cap is no different here. This flat-cap actually sped up breaking up of some established team-vs- Normal cap world. This hurt chances of closer playoff series early on..... There's even more angles with how flat-cap has hurt competitiveness across-the-board. Seems to be very top heavy league right now...
I don’t fully understand why it would lead to more top heavy teams. Wouldn’t a stricter cap lead to more parity if anything?

Reactions: flying squirrel

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
I don’t fully understand why it would lead to more top heavy teams. Wouldn’t a stricter cap lead to more parity if anything?
In normal yrs, maybe. But we're not coming off normal cap years. With covid flat-cap timing, it mattered a bunch to where team was with contracts/successes. Concerning how much success a given team was going to have under covid-flatcap-umbrella. Covid cap going up only 1 million growth in 3-4 yrs time neutered many team, that would still be very competitive right now. The changing of guard from cap pressures happens all-the-time in yrs past, but covid flat-cap put that on steroids 20-fold. Flattest cap ever sped up break-up of teams, hurt depth throughout NHL, and decent teams that usually would still be dangerous come playoff time, Weren't so dangerous now. Covid cap hurt teams, who'd normally be right below top teams, and it also hurt middle of pack teams. Thus, causing this years 1st & 2nd rd playoff series to not be that competitive.

The teams shored up contractually before covid cap, and during, had way better odds of surviving covid flatten-cap era. Covid flat cap decided how deep teams are right now, more than any other time in cap history (It's not even close to what is normal). Teams that would've been more competitive during 1st and 2nd rds. Just didn't have fire power to put up same fight like in years past. It's why I think so many playoff bubble teams, kept dropping the ball late this season -vs- inferior opponents. It was like middle of road teams were doing everything they could to give playoff spot away. Those middle of pack teams just weren't good enough, and depth issues showed it's ugly head every other night. Sure, all that made for playoff drama when those middle/bottom dwellers fought nightly for playoff spots. But truth is, the 4th through 8th seeds this year didn't have fire power to compete with top NHL teams. Like they would in previous playoffs, 1st & 2nd rds results support this. My guess, next seasons 1st & 2nd playoff rounds won't be like years past either. Timing in sports matter. It's one of main things a team needs to win title, and believe covid flat-cap timing is no different. This is their moment, teams left have to seize it....

Hope this explains what I'm thinking well enough, have a good day....:)

Last edited:

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
It's rare that we're this far into the playoffs and there's basically been no upsets. Every team that should've won did.
They only arguable upset now would be Edmonton advancing...and that's debatable as to whether it would be an upset.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
In normal yrs, maybe. But we're not coming off normal cap years. With covid flat-cap timing, it mattered a bunch to where team was with contracts/successes. Concerning how much success a given team was going to have under covid-flatcap-umbrella. Covid cap going up only 1 million growth in 3-4 yrs time neutered many team, that would still be very competitive right now. The changing of guard from cap pressures happens all-the-time in yrs past, but covid flat-cap put that on steroids 20-fold. Flattest cap ever sped up break-up of teams, hurt depth throughout NHL, and decent teams that usually would still be dangerous come playoff time, Weren't so dangerous now. Covid cap hurt teams, who'd normally be right below top teams, and it also hurt middle of pack teams. Thus, causing this years 1st & 2nd rd playoff series to not be that competitive.

The teams shored up contractually before covid cap, and during, had way better odds of surviving covid flatten-cap era. Covid flat cap decided how deep teams are right now, more than any other time in cap history (It's not even close to what is normal). Teams that would've been more competitive during 1st and 2nd rds. Just didn't have fire power to put up same fight like in years past. It's why I think so many playoff bubble teams, kept dropping the ball late this season -vs- inferior opponents. It was like middle of road teams were doing everything they could to give playoff spot away. Those middle of pack teams just weren't good enough, and depth issues showed it's ugly head every other night. Sure, all that made for playoff drama when those middle/bottom dwellers fought nightly for playoff spots. But truth is, the 4th through 8th seeds this year didn't have fire power to compete with top NHL teams. Like they would in previous playoffs, 1st & 2nd rds results support this. My guess, next seasons 1st & 2nd playoff rounds won't be like years past either. Timing in sports matter. It's one of main things a team needs to win title, and believe covid flat-cap timing is no different. This is their moment, teams left have to seize it....

Hope this explains what I'm thinking well enough, have a good day....:)
Right but… I would think every team had a mix of various contracts with various lengths.

Every team has expiring contracts just about every year. Why would some be more competitive due to a flat cap?

All are dealing with the same situation.

I think that the only disadvantage would be if a team had a really bad contract, that bad contract may weight them down a little more.

But every team has those too. I still don’t see how we get a “top heavy” league from that.

We are simply seeing a rare season where regular season success has translated to playoff success consistently. That’s not necessarily indicative of a flat cap being better for some teams over others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad