Non-Sharks Bay Area Sports Thread XXVIII

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Bummer end to the Warriors season, but it's a perfect microcosm of how the year went, Klay and Wiggins providing nothing of value and the team relying on a 36 year old Curry and a bunch of young players to do everything

If they are smart this will be Klay Thompson's last game as a Warrior, but I don't think Dunleavy has the stomach to make the hard decision

Sandisfan

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
San Jose
Not exactly what I was expecting the 49ers to do there.

Classic Kyle WTF pick lmao
The WR they drafted was rated 3rd round or later by many. Classic overdraft where those making the choice thinking they are the smartest guy(s) in the room. I can't think of a team that went off the board that much, that hasn't ended up with egg all over their faces. If you love that player you know almost certainly that the player will be there later at least trade down 5 to 10 spots to get some more ammo! UGH Facepalm :thumbd::facepalm:

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
The WR they drafted was rated 3rd round or later by many. Classic overdraft where those making the choice thinking they are the smartest guy(s) in the room. I can't think of a team that went off the board that much, that hasn't ended up with egg all over their faces. If you love that player you know almost certainly that the player will be there later at least trade down 5 to 10 spots to get some more ammo! UGH Facepalm :thumbd::facepalm:

This seems okay.

Sandisfan

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
San Jose

This seems okay.

That card is an athletic rating and obviously there have been great athletes at WR who were bad at being receivers like going on the correct route, running good routes and catching the ball although one thing said about him was good hands. You have to admit that if he could have been picked 10 picks later then trading down and getting more assets is for sure the right way to go. Now of course there is intrigue in the draft and maybe they knew he would be picked soon after but almost always teams that go far off the board almost always get egg of their faces.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
That card is an athletic rating and obviously there have been great athletes at WR who were bad at being receivers like going on the correct route, running good routes and catching the ball although one thing said about him was good hands. You have to admit that if he could have been picked 10 picks later then trading down and getting more assets is for sure the right way to go. Now of course there is intrigue in the draft and maybe they knew he would be picked soon after but almost always teams that go far off the board almost always get egg of their faces.
I don't disagree with moving down. I'm sure they tried to, but maybe all the offers were way too far down.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
DW type hipster draft choice. Should have traded down if you were going to reach. Might be good but could have had more out of the pick.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

WNBA expansion names GM. Starts play next year

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Bummer end to the Warriors season, but it's a perfect microcosm of how the year went, Klay and Wiggins providing nothing of value and the team relying on a 36 year old Curry and a bunch of young players to do everything

If they are smart this will be Klay Thompson's last game as a Warrior, but I don't think Dunleavy has the stomach to make the hard decision
Unfortunately, I think there are too many forces in that building that are gonna push for them to overpay Klay to run out the string for the next two years. Nobody wants to pay Chase Center prices to watch a repeat of this last season. Let some other team be the sucker that overpays him for the downside of his career.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024

This seems okay.

David Lombardi has never written a critical thing about the 49ers and never will. He might as well be employed by the 49ers as their PR Director.

PIck may work out or may not (for what it's worth, I've read some scouts that are in love with Pearsall), but 100% agree that the 49ers have made way too many of these moves over the years and most of the time, they're made on offense which smells like Kyle's veto power having too much weight in the draft room. Only their success in the later rounds has kept them on top.

Reactions: Sandisfan and DG93

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Unfortunately, I think there are too many forces in that building that are gonna push for them to overpay Klay to run out the string for the next two years. Nobody wants to pay Chase Center prices to watch a repeat of this last season. Let some other team be the sucker that overpays him for the downside of his career.
I think you're probably right

It'll be nice for sentimental reasons if he never wears another jersey, but it's going to competlety lock them in to their current fate as a fringe play-in team for the rest of Steph's prime, and that's the real tragedy

Sandisfan

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
San Jose

It'll be nice for sentimental reasons if he never wears another jersey, but it's going to competlety lock them in to their current fate as a fringe play-in team for the rest of Steph's prime, and that's the real tragedy
Klay's advanced stats and his bad defense as he has gotten to slow to defend faster players and with his spotty shooting means they need to move on from Klay, except for a few hot shooting games he won't help the team win. I don't see a good path to winning the Championship. Won't happen but needs a tear down like the Sharks would hate to see Steph on another team but he will be on a fringe playoff team if he stays and could even be a bottom dweller even with his still really good play but he has reached a point where he can't play quite as many minutes as before.

Reactions: weastern bias

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Klay's advanced stats and his bad defense as he has gotten to slow to defend faster players and with his spotty shooting means they need to move on from Klay, except for a few hot shooting games he won't help the team win. I don't see a good path to winning the Championship. Won't happen but needs a tear down like the Sharks would hate to see Steph on another team but he will be on a fringe playoff team if he stays and could even be a bottom dweller even with his still really good play but he has reached a point where he can't play quite as many minutes as before.
When Steph returned from injury this season it was the first time in a decade he didn't grade out as one of the top impact players in the league by on/off numbers, the decline is here

The Warriors only path to another title is to go back in time and win the 2020 draft lottery, getting Wiseman instead of Edwards sealed their fate and 2022 is going to end up being that one last magical run

It's hard to complain, they're wrapping up the most successful run any team in the bay has seen since the Niners in the 80s, but when these runs end it usually ends ugly

It's just up to them to decide if they want to wrap it up with the legacy play by having all their stars retire as career Warriors or if they want to be cold but proactive and reload like the Celtics did when they traded Pierce and Garnett

I think it would just be such a bummer to see Steph play anywhere else (and I personally feel the same about Draymond, but I know not everyone feels that way), so I'm torn, but I do think at least moving on from Klay is the smart move, it's just too bad they're so deep in the luxury tax that it doesn't even make them more flexible, but it avoids signing what is sure to be the worst contract in the league going forward

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024

Selfishly, I'm just tired of thinking of the end-of-career Klay that takes too many early in the clock three pointers, too many off-balance shots, and has too many 2 for 15 kind of nights. I want him to go have those nights for some other team so that when I think of him, I'm thinking of the guy that helped win four championships when I never thought that team would ever even win me one. I know that team is headed for several Sharks-type down years in the not too distant future and there's not much that can be done to stop it even if they did decide to trade Curry for a haul of draft picks (if they still can) and I can be content with the four titles if that's all we ever get. But watching old teams in denial is just the worst.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
I think it would just be such a bummer to see Steph play anywhere else (and I personally feel the same about Draymond, but I know not everyone feels that way), so I'm torn, but I do think at least moving on from Klay is the smart move, it's just too bad they're so deep in the luxury tax that it doesn't even make them more flexible, but it avoids signing what is sure to be the worst contract in the league going forward
I don't think ownership groups trade a money spinner like Steph (who is far and away the top jersey seller in the league) unless forced. There's not gonna be much reason for people to buy a ticket in the near future other than just to watch him and he's still a draw even on a bad team.

I really wanted them to let Draymond go. I'm tired of his BS and I think he's coasting on reputation defensively at this point - it's not like he's bad at it yet, but he also didn't get a single DPOY vote. I'm so tired of playing small ball in a league that's finally remembered that size matters in basketball.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad